E-Bikes (specifically mountain bikes)

Not sure if this belongs in here, but why not?

I enjoy cycling and have a road bike and a mountain bike - but the latter is essentially for paths and dirt tracks and not any 'technical' stuff.   

The part of the world I live in has a nice network of these dirt tracks, logging roads etc - some of which are up big b@stard fkin hills that I'd never ordinarily bother with.

For that reason, I am thinking of buying an e-bike, just to allow me to get to the these parts and enjoy the views and fun of the downhills.

Anyone got one?   Are they any good?    How many times can you get up a decent hill and down again before it loses its charge?  Do you get sneered at by hardcore bikers?  Any advice appreciated....

58 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I enjoy cycling and have a road bike and a mountain bike - but the latter is essentially for paths and dirt tracks and not any 'technical' stuff.   

The part of the world I live in has a nice network of these dirt tracks, logging roads etc - some of which are up big b@stard fkin hills that I'd never ordinarily bother with.

For that reason, I am thinking of buying an e-bike, just to allow me to get to the these parts and enjoy the views and fun of the downhills.

Anyone got one?   Are they any good?    How many times can you up a decent hill and down again before it loses its charge?  Do you get sneered at by hardcore bikers?  Any advice appreciated....

...Why not sell the road bike and mountain bike and buy yourself a motorcar?      These days they're fitted with things like E-lectric windows and can navigate even the toughest of hills!   Take the Applecross (Beelach na ba ) climb, sure the E-bike will help you up those pesky hill climbs, but is it better than say for example - The all new KIA ProCeed?     And with it's 320 litre ( and that's not a typo) boot you could fill it up with lovely things like a swingball, wicker hamper, kite, tent etc and still have loads of room for 96 cans of yellow frothy alcohol!      

1 hour ago, whereismillar said:

unless you are old and quite unfit you will be sneered at , but its your choice

its better than sitting on the couch watching s*ite on the telly mind you ..

any dealership will give you the stats on longevity ect,

Past the middle part of middle-aged - and fitness is could be better, could be worse kind of level.

This purchase would be to supplement by summer cycling with more scenic and interesting options in the foothills and forests on the eastern side of Cairngorms NP - but not replace my roadie stuff.

Seems it would be an expensive purchase though just to get the chance to be a big kid scrambling down mountain tracks.

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 13:15, tarapoa said:

Anyone got one?   Are they any good?    How many times can you get up a decent hill and down again before it loses its charge?  Do you get sneered at by hardcore bikers?  Any advice appreciated....

Had a go of a specialized kenevo during the summer, that's more designed for "enduro" type descents so is pretty high end componentry to deal with techy terrain (about 5.5k worth of bike!). It is some bit of kit though. I think a days riding can be had out the battery if you don't have it on the highest setting all the time (plenty of articles out there). Sounds as if looking at a hard tail would be more suitable for the type of riding.

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/turbo-kenevo-expert/p/154997?color=239448-154997

Some folk will sneer at you but mostly you'll just get swore at by folk trudging up a hill while you whizz by :lol:.

• 3 weeks later...

I got passed going up a hill by a bunch of pensioners on ebikes before,  I see quite a lot of folk zooming about on ebikes.

Downside is that they weigh a ton and if battery goes .......

Good ebikes are a few quid, if your mountain bike is in good nick(preferably aluminium to handle the stress of the extra weight) why don't you buy a bafang mid drive kit and battery and stick it on? You can get a 750 watt kit for about £600? I've got one that I'll be fitting shortly.

1 hour ago, Joe Terrapin said:

Good ebikes are a few quid, if your mountain bike is in good nick(preferably aluminium to handle the stress of the extra weight) why don't you buy a bafang mid drive kit and battery and stick it on? You can get a 750 watt kit for about £600? I've got one that I'll be fitting shortly.

Alternatively you can get a 56 plate Ford Fiesta for about £600.  

Archived