Albums regarded as classics that are absolute gash

RockMusic

1 minute ago, Principal Flutie said:

We just including any old shite and calling them classics now or something? Fucking hell.

It was a very big selling record and the sort of thing that would make it onto a classic list I reckon. Depends how you define classic - can't just be because it's excellent or the thread wouldn't exist. I reckon a lot of people would have Popped In as a classic - but for me it's dugmeat.

On 3/27/2019 at 21:35, RockMusic said:

The mid 80s was poor for that sort of thing - both Brothers in Arms and Hounds of Love were revered and both not very good at all. And anything by the utter dugmeat that was Eurythmics.

Hounds Of Love side 1 is: Running Up That Hill, Hounds of Love, Big Sky, Mother Stands For Comfort and Cloudbusting. Stone cold classics.  Side two is called the Ninth Wave and is a mini concept album.

Also Is This It is great.

3 hours ago, Principal Flutie said:

We're treading some dangerous waters when we start to go into sales.

Normally yes, but classics tend to be big sellers that may or may not be any good or low sellers that are excellent. So big sellers tend to be regarded by many as classics, but are often found out to be poor eg every Eagles album. Thriller might not be your cup of tea but it's sales simply have to put it into classic territory.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Hounds Of Love side 1 is: Running Up That Hill, Hounds of Love, Big Sky, Mother Stands For Comfort and Cloudbusting. Stone cold classics.  Side two is called the Ninth Wave and is a mini concept album.

Also Is This It is great.

I'm glad you like it but not really for me. Much preferred her earlier stuff.

Guest Moomintroll
Agreed with this. It sounds great first few playings but becomes grating very quickly. Their Satanic Majesties Request >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sgt Pepper. Revolver and Rubber Soul are equally boring and overrated. The best Beatles albums are Abbey Road and Please, Please Me by a mile.

Also agree with the Pet Sounds call. Boring rubbish. I'd go as far as to say any Beach Boys song that isn't up-tempo Surf Rock is utter guff.

some of my suggestions after a quick glance through my phone:
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Bob Dylan  - Highway 61 Revisited
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising (this would actually be good if they cut out all the nonsense tracks. 24 songs, almost have of which are just time-wasters. Just f**k off you c***s)
Paul Simon - Graceland
Sly and The Family Stone - There's a Riot Going On

3 Feet High and Rising will always be a classic of that genre because of songs like The magic number & say no go, but crap like De la orgy does dilute the album. Pet Sounds is an excellent album but is overrated as critics want to lionise every single track. See also the 3 The Beatles albums referenced, a lot of incredible songs but every album has to have some filler.

2 hours ago, Estragon is a fud said:

It's pish outside the first and last song. Rambling, chorus-less pish.

What's the song with that dreadful fucking whoopee whistle thing all the way through  it? Horrendous stuff.

We'll have to disagree then.

Ballad Of A Thin Man is epic. Queen Jane Approximately has an incredible chorus and the whistle one is Highway 61 which has genius lyrics and terrific delivery. Tombstone Blues just absolutely rocks.

19 hours ago, Estragon is a fud said:

It's pish outside the first and last song. Rambling, chorus-less pish.

What's the song with that dreadful fucking whoopee whistle thing all the way through  it? Horrendous stuff.

Bob Dylan's quality control is not great.  Pretty much every album - even Blood on the Tracks - has an absolute clunker on it.

For me, Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks and Highway 61 Revisted are, taken all together, sensational.  YMMV, however.

Any of the seminal albums by music yer Da listens to.

In particular, Hotel California by The Eagles, who are simply dreadful.

7 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Bob Dylan's quality control is not great.  Pretty much every album - even Blood on the Tracks - has an absolute clunker on it.

For me, Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks and Highway 61 Revisted are, taken all together, sensational.  YMMV, however.

What's the clunker on Blood On The Tracks?

OT but the alternate version of Tangled Up In Blue on last year's Bootleg Series release is incredible. I don't think i'll ever get tired of listening to it.

What's the clunker on Blood On The Tracks?

OT but the alternate version of Tangled Up In Blue on last year's Bootleg Series release is incredible. I don't think i'll ever get tired of listening to it.

If You See Her, Say Hello has some Dylan’s worst lyrics. Certainly one of his worst opening lines. Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts is great, but totally out of place on that album.

Tangled Up In Blue is one of my favourite Dylan songs, but they probably “improved” it on that version.

ETA I’ve always hated Buckets of Rain, but that’s squarely on me.

If You See Her, Say Hello is very literal for Dylan but I think it's there to balance out the vitriol of Idiot Wind. It's one of my favourites.

You are right about Rosemary, Lily being out of place but it's hinting at the theatrical direction he would take on Desire which is my favourite Dylan album.

12 hours ago, Gaz said:

Any of the seminal albums by music yer Da listens to.

In particular, Hotel California by The Eagles, who are simply dreadful.

Thing is, seminal means "containing new ideas and having a great influence on later works".