Albums regarded as classics that are absolute gash

RockMusic

I think you’re confusing sales and MOR American radio play with adulation, this is certainly not regarded as a “classic” record by anyone with any reverence that i can think of.....

My entry here would be ‘No Jacket Required’ which was released to unfettered acclaim from critics of the time it seems....try and find one with a good word to say about it now. Must have been something in the water that year. Plodding rubbish.

Edited by Christophe

Indeed. Remember South Park's characterisation of Phil Collins? And that his music had transformed the kids into what looked like valium induced wrecks. I suppose you could add any U2 album to this list - I'll put in The Unforgettable Fire. I think that's when Bonzo really did think he was Jesus Christ, or even Lou Reed.

4 hours ago, Christophe said:

My entry here would be ‘No Jacket Required’ which was released to unfettered acclaim from critics of the time it seems....try and find one with a good word to say about it now. Must have been something in the water that year. Plodding rubbish.

5 hours ago, paranoid android said:

As difficult an album as Trout Mask is, I find this disrespect of The Captain intolerable. :angry:

Beefheart himself didn't like it and claimed it ruined his name. He blamed Zappa for using him to see how "far out" music could get.  On the odd occasion where I tried to listen to it, I enjoyed the silly bits between the songs more than the songs. I also used to have a giggle reading the NME in the 90s where just about every member of a crap indie band reckoned Trout Mask was one of their favourite albums. Aye...

17 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Pink Floyd - The Wall

I'd actually go for Dark Side of the Moon. I like the album but I prefer just about every other Floyd album to it. It had a transatlantic sound that was not really them, epitomised by the female vocal on The great gig in the sky. It's actually good enough stuff but just not what I listen to Pink Floyd for.  Compare that to Live at Pompeii - for me that is proper Floyd.

10 hours ago, RockMusic said:

Beefheart himself didn't like it and claimed it ruined his name. He blamed Zappa for using him to see how "far out" music could get.  On the odd occasion where I tried to listen to it, I enjoyed the silly bits between the songs more than the songs. I also used to have a giggle reading the NME in the 90s where just about every member of a crap indie band reckoned Trout Mask was one of their favourite albums. Aye...

For the record, I much prefer Safe as Milk, and, especially, Clear Spot to Trout Mask.

Also, as much as I love The Captain, he was a bit of a chancer, and I'm not convinced his testimony is always that reliable. 

5 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

For the record, I much prefer Safe as Milk, and, especially, Clear Spot to Trout Mask.

Also, as much as I love The Captain, he was a bit of a chancer, and I'm not convinced his testimony is always that reliable. 

I've not heard all his stuff but anything I have heard has been much better than Trout Mask - which I find largely unlistenable. Great sleeve, though.

Sgt Pepper.  It may have been a huge change  in regards of production.  But overall bar a decent track or two its warbling pish. 

Sgt Pepper's lonley hearts club band.  Not a bad opening, upbeat and promising.

Fucking help of my friends, f**k off Ringo you wanky dick.  No c**t likes you. 

Lucy in the sky has a decent chorus and thats it. 

Getting better, naw it isnae

Fixing a hole, sounds like an advert for friendly bacteria Yakult

Shes Leaving home.  No wonder Paul, you warbling p***k

Mr Kite.  Just f**k off John

George Harrison Sitar song.  George Harrison Sitar song

When I'm sixty Four.  Nothing says I buy the Daily Mail like this song

Lovely Rita.  Not a bad song.  Good beat despite the Ringo handicap

Good Morning.  It has cats and dogs and Elephant noises on it and foxhunting.

Reprise.  Again a decent wee song

A day in the Life.  One of the best songs of the sixties.

So 2 good songs and one great one.  This is regarded as a classic.  f**k off.

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 10:56, MixuFixit said:

The Strokes - Is This It

You could play the vocals of any track against the melody of any other track.

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:21, Billy Rubin said:

Hardly regarded as a classic!         

Ouch!  I do have a lot of fondness for that album.