Albums regarded as classics that are absolute gash

RockMusic

Have you heard the “original Memphis recordings” version they released in 2018

It’s the more retro sounding version they wanted to release but the record company insisted on a more modern (I.e. 90s) production.

Yes, picked that up when it came out. Love it.

Did you see the BBC documentary about it? Highly recommended if you didn’t.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Gerald Elbowdent said:

Pet Sounds is the big one for me. Boring granny music. Agree with the Bob Dylan shout too. Absolute shit. A lot of the Beatles albums fall into this category for me too. Rubber Soul, Revolver and White Album. Sgt. Pepper I absolutely loved at first, but it really ages like milk on your ears over the years I think. Please, Please Me and Abbey Road are the only 2 I still listen to.

Kill Em All by Metallica. A 5/10 album. Astonishes me that people can put it in the same bracket as Ride The Lightning and Puppets.

Utter nonsense.

Some of Pet Sounds is brilliant, but some tracks leave me cold - Wilson has done better versions of 'Caroline, No' than the Pet Sounds version, imo.

I think I prefer Smile, Surf's Up, and maybe even Wild Honey.

However, I did see Brian Wilson and his amazing band performing Pet Sounds at the Playhouse last year, and it was magical. 

30 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Some of Pet Sounds is brilliant, but some tracks leave me cold - Wilson has done better versions of 'Caroline, No' than the Pet Sounds version, imo.

However, I did see Brian Wilson and his amazing band performing Pet Sounds at the Playhouse last year, and it was magical. 

You could definitely make a case for Smile. Surf's Up is brilliant as well but points off for Student Demonstration Time. Wild Honey's an album that doesn't get much love. I would put Sunflower, 20/20, Today and even Smiley Smile all above it. For me the only track on Pet Sounds less than godlike is Sloop John B. Saw him doing Pet Sounds at the Royal Festival Hall on his big comeback in 2002. It was a bit of a who's who.  In my row alone there were members of The Sex Pistols, The Stranglers, Supergrass and Aphex Twin.

1 hour ago, paranoid android said:

35 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

You could definitely make a case for Smile. Surf's Up is brilliant as well but points off for Student Demonstration Time. Wild Honey's an album that doesn't get much love. I would put Sunflower, 20/20, Today and even Smiley Smile all above it. For me the only track on Pet Sounds less than godlike is Sloop John B. Saw him doing Pet Sounds at the Royal Festival Hall on his big comeback in 2002. It was a bit of a who's who.  In my row alone there were members of The Sex Pistols, The Stranglers, Supergrass and Aphex Twin.

I would love the see Brian Wilson live. I saw Mike Love's version of The Beach Boys in Montrose a couple of years ago and they were really good. I can only imagine Wilson would be a whole heap better though.

For what it's worth I love Pet Sounds. I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I've never listened to Surf's Up but I'm going to put that right very soon.

• 1 month later...
On 01/06/2020 at 19:52, tongue_tied_danny said:

Neil Young - Harvest

In terms of Neil Young albums - absolutely. This, for me is nowhere near On The Beach, Tonight's the night or Everbody Knows This is Nowhere - I even prefer Psychedelic Pill, with that long, langorous opening of Driftin' Back.

Stacked up against any of the competition at the time or since - bollox. Some intensely personal stuff on there, and, in Words, one of the outstanding tracks to hear him play live. Not a bad track on it, and a couple of true classics. Fucking hit singles, even,  ffs!

If you'd gone for Re-Actor, Trans or A Letter Home (Jesus, especially A Letter Home!) I might concede you had a point*, but Harvest (and After The God Rush) are the closest Neil's output and popular taste ever came to coinciding.

* Not that anyone ever claimed these were classics - some of Neil's work is, eh, "difficult".