Albums regarded as classics that are absolute gash

RockMusic

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Disagree. Classics are classics for a reason.

Either because they summed up a particular cultural period in time or because they embraced new technology. 

Although if you look at that Rolling Stone 500 list it does have some guff on it which will be filed under "I guess you had to be there"

There was a lot of drugs around in the '90s but clearly some people were so fucked up in the '60s they voluntarily listened to Joni Mitchell

Rolling Stone ranking Mitchell's "Blue" as the 30th best album of all time is precisely what this thread is about.

On 20/04/2020 at 22:18, Jimi Shandrix said:

I read this whole thread and cannot believe nobody brought up Appetite For Destruction. Truly the worst band of all time. No better than the other hair metal of the time like Motley Crue or WASP. Thank god grunge came along and blew all that shite away but quite how GNR survived the cull is anybodys guess.

Abysmal post! 

4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Although if you look at that Rolling Stone 500 list it does have some guff on it which will be filed under "I guess you had to be there"

There was a lot of drugs around in the '90s but clearly some people were so fucked up in the '60s they voluntarily listened to Joni Mitchell

Rolling Stone ranking Mitchell's "Blue" as the 30th best album of all time is precisely what this thread is about.

Joni Mitchell is something I just don't get. Her voice goes right through me.

However rock and pop music was pretty much played out by the mid 80s so it's fair enough that old albums dominate the lists. 

Primal scream - screamadelica

Yes there's a few really good tunes on it but its not anything groundbreaking or seminal and there was plenty of far superior dance music at the time.
Its possibly that it was one of those crossover albums that people who weren't really into dance music picked up on.

I'm not sure dance music suits albums as in you can listen to the whole thing so I suppose it was suitable for come downs or chilling.

Not any better than stuff like the orb etc.

Agree. I think I mentioned Blue earlier in the thread. Pet Sounds, too. Absolute shite IMO.

I too think that classics are classics for a reason and I’ve tried with a load over the years. I don’t always love them. I’m thinking Bob Dylan as a good example here. Plenty good tunes but not one classic album in his entire catalogue. All subjective of course.

Primal scream - screamadelica

Yes there's a few really good tunes on it but its not anything groundbreaking or seminal and there was plenty of far superior dance music at the time.
Its possibly that it was one of those crossover albums that people who weren't really into dance music picked up on.

I'm not sure dance music suits albums as in you can listen to the whole thing so I suppose it was suitable for come downs or chilling.

Not any better than stuff like the orb etc.

It wasn’t dance music though. It was more for back at the house, post club. See also, Massive Attack. Karmacoma is the quintessential 90s Sunday afternoon track. Dreading the Monday/Tuesday ahead but determined to squeeze the life out of what remains of the weekend.

5 minutes ago, Daydream said:

It wasn’t dance music though. It was more for back at the house, post club. See also, Massive Attack. Karmacoma is the quintessential 90s Sunday afternoon track. Dreading the Monday/Tuesday ahead but determined to squeeze the life out of what remains of the weekend.

It’s regarded as something amazing though when there’s much better stuff like massive attack, the orb. 
Certainly not amazing production but readily available and passed on through word of mouth back in the day and regarded as cool.

I like primal scream but couldn’t listen to it now.

19 hours ago, Daydream said:

Agree. I think I mentioned Blue earlier in the thread. Pet Sounds, too. Absolute shite IMO.

I too think that classics are classics for a reason and I’ve tried with a load over the years. I don’t always love them. I’m thinking Bob Dylan as a good example here. Plenty good tunes but not one classic album in his entire catalogue. All subjective of course.

This line just shows how little you belong here.  Music snobs are 100% correct in their [our]opinions always.

It’s regarded as something amazing though when there’s much better stuff like massive attack, the orb. 
Certainly not amazing production but readily available and passed on through word of mouth back in the day and regarded as cool.
I like primal scream but couldn’t listen to it now.

These days I only ever listen to the much derided follow up ‘Give Out But Don’t Give Up’. Holds up well.

On 22/04/2020 at 19:38, CambieBud said:

Nevermind by Nirvana. Admittedly I grew up listening to The Clash, Pistols, Buzzcocks, The Ramones etc. I don’t get the hype of Nirvana at all. Pish

Saying this not only because you delivered a green dot precisely 1 year and 3 days (is that some kinda record?) after a post about the Pistols, above, but that is spot on; Nirvana were proof that almost nothing was happening in that period, one of the most over-rated bands of all time...

[Edited to say I thought at first you were responding to a post on Joni Mitchell... Sex Pistols... Joni Mitchell... aye.]

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

These days I only ever listen to the much derided follow up ‘Give Out But Don’t Give Up’. Holds up well.

Have you heard the “original Memphis recordings” version they released in 2018

It’s the more retro sounding version they wanted to release but the record company insisted on a more modern (I.e. 90s) production.