Albums regarded as classics that are absolute gash

RockMusic

On 28/03/2019 at 15:28, Yoss said:

Pet Sounds

Astral Weeks

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

Aye apart from the hit songs I've always found Pet Sounds a tough listen.  

Van Morrison's Astral Weeks and Big Star's Third are another couple of critically acclaimed albums that I have never really enjoyed.

I don't know the Big Star album but I've just made a mental note never to listen to it. Thanks.

On 13/04/2019 at 12:00, topcat(The most tip top) said:

1972 Uriah Heep sound like the reserve team that 1972 Deep Purple would put out in the league cup.

“Wizards and Demons” was released two months after Deep Purple’s “Machine head” which I’m listening to now and there’s no contest.

Have just watched DP on Sky doing the Perfect Strangers tour - sheer class and although he is apparently an utter C*** Blackmore is superb, I don't think I have seen anyone with a quicker left hand.

Machine Head is  superb album and certainly does not plod along like some of Heep's.  Heep have their moments but overall have not aged to well.

Edited by Moonglum25

Have just watched DP on Sky doing the Perfect Strangers tour - sheer class and although he is apparently an utter C*** Blackmore is superb, I don't think I have seen anyone with a quicker left hand.
Machine Head is  superb album and certainly does not plod along like some of Heep's.  Heep have their moments but overall have not aged to well.

The Mark II line up was awesome and it was built on competitive rivalry with Lord and Blackmore trying to outdo each other. If Richie Blackmore was a nice guy then the whole dynamic would have been healthier but less entertaining.

Uriah Heep on the other hand sound like they all get on really well and don’t want to criticise each other’s work

Off the top of my head -

Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield - Never understood why some like this so much, just annoying pish

2112 by Rush - Controversial ? maybe but I don't like it

Anything by Focus or Yes - how can you listen to this ?

1 hour ago, keyser_soze said:

Off the top of my head -

Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield - Never understood why some like this so much, just annoying pish

2112 by Rush - Controversial ? maybe but I don't like it

Anything by Focus or Yes - how can you listen to this ?

Hocus pocus was good.

Billy Joel - An innocent man. I suppose anything by him to be fair but this record certainly hits gash mark 10. My girlfriend at the time's sister used to play it non bloody stop and I think I'm still bearing the psychological scars.

On 13/04/2019 at 11:17, Daydream said:

Purely subjective but I don’t get the praise for Pet Sounds or Joni Mitchell’s Blue.

Although only in my mid 40s there has been nothing post millennium (that I’ve heard) that I really love. I know there must be classics out there I just don’t have the time, patience or inclination to seek them out.

Joni is a goddess.

Blue isn’t her best record, but it’s still phenomenal.

Plenty of post-millennial stuff worth seeking out: last New Order record, Flaming Lips, Darwin Dees, Arctic Monkeys. Kendrick Lamarr, MGMT all spring immediately to mind... maybe not outright ‘classics’, but in general there’s probably more interesting music out there than there’s ever been.

Joni is a goddess.
Blue isn’t her best record, but it’s still phenomenal.
Plenty of post-millennial stuff worth seeking out: last New Order record, Flaming Lips, Darwin Dees, Arctic Monkeys. Kendrick Lamarr, MGMT all spring immediately to mind... maybe not outright ‘classics’, but in general there’s probably more interesting music out there than there’s ever been.

I know Joni is seen as a goddess, I just don’t get it. Also I like plenty of post 2000 output of older bands, New Order being a good example.

Quite a few mentions of the Eagles here although I'm not sure who exactly has ever regarded them as having made a classic album ?

Agree about clunkers on even the best Dylan albums. Take Blonde On Blonde, a highly lauded album. Mostly deserved I think however it does start with two of the worst pieces of drivel I have ever heard from him.

For me - Television frequently appear on these critics lists, dull pub rock as far as my ears can tell.

I googled 100 greatest albums and saw a lot of different lists

Generally speaking most of them made sense (Except NME who think the smiths recorded 2 of the best 5 albums of all time)

One inexplicable constant in the higher reaches of these lists however was The Velvet Underground and Nico

IMG_0027.jpg

4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I googled 100 greatest albums and saw a lot of different lists

Generally speaking most of them made sense (Except NME who think the smiths recorded 2 of the best 5 albums of all time)

One inexplicable constant in the higher reaches of these lists however was The Velvet Underground and Nico

IMG_0027.jpg

Those lists are a massive waste of time. Invariably they have something ridiculous like three Beatles albums, three Pink Floyd albums and four Rolling Stones albums making up the top ten.

Those lists are a massive waste of time. Invariably they have something ridiculous like three Beatles albums, three Pink Floyd albums and four Rolling Stones albums making up the top ten.

But useful for the purposes of this thread. If an album appears on a few of those lists then it’s safe to say it qualifies ticks the “widely regarded as a classic” box

23 hours ago, Lost In The Humming Air said:

Quite a few mentions of the Eagles here although I'm not sure who exactly has ever regarded them as having made a classic album ?

Agree about clunkers on even the best Dylan albums. Take Blonde On Blonde, a highly lauded album. Mostly deserved I think however it does start with two of the worst pieces of drivel I have ever heard from him.

For me - Television frequently appear on these critics lists, dull pub rock as far as my ears can tell.

Genius is seldom consistent. The need to try new concepts and styles means even the best get it wrong sometimes.

21 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Genius is seldom consistent. The need to try new concepts and styles means even the best get it wrong sometimes.

Very true. It would be easier to keep making music in the same vein as stuff that's already been done but I'd imagine that would be very boring.

Metallica's Load and ReLoad albums, and their collaboration with an orchestra on the S&M live album are good examples of bands trying to do something a bit different from the music that they were acclaimed for. FWIW I actually liked a lot of those albums but not everyone did.