FIFA rankings

DA Baracus

8 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

You put England and Belgium's starting 11 from tonight on the park they're not scoring against that juggernaut

22 v 11 would be a tough ask, even for that Scotland/ Motherwell defence. 

This is how the rankings/pots look ahead of the World Cup draws as it stands.
4 matches to try and get ourselves up to pot 2, personally think it may be a stretch but not, outwith the realms of possibility if we get a win on Wednesday.
628C5051-47EC-4CD4-849F-985098B1D5AC.thumb.png.8b405257815ca640eb39f59d1385af23.png
Those numbers are different from other ranking blogs/websites.
Pot 2 is gone imo. Even if we win the next 4 and nobody else plays a game we're still pot 3. I can't see all the teams on the border of pot 2/3 losing points.

55 minutes ago, charger29 said:

Pot 2 is gone imo. Even if we win the next 4 and nobody else plays a game we're still pot 3. I can't see all the teams on the border of pot 2/3 losing points.

Taken from @We_Global on twitter 

2 hours ago, charger29 said:

Which is a shame, but pot 3 looks like an opportunity.  I don't see anything in the pots below that we should be afraid of (outside of the usual "wa's like us?" stuff) so we go in a straight fight with pot 2 for that 2nd place to guarantee a playoff spot.  And from there, two years of decent performances should see us hit pot 2 in time for the Euros qualifying, when we stand a very good chance of qualifying, rather than the minor one we have with the WC.

19 minutes ago, forameus said:

Which is a shame, but pot 3 looks like an opportunity.  I don't see anything in the pots below that we should be afraid of (outside of the usual "wa's like us?" stuff) so we go in a straight fight with pot 2 for that 2nd place to guarantee a playoff spot.  And from there, two years of decent performances should see us hit pot 2 in time for the Euros qualifying, when we stand a very good chance of qualifying, rather than the minor one we have with the WC.

It's more likely that our performances over the next 2 months rather than 2 years will determine if we're in pot 2 for the Euro qualifiers. Win this group and we're guaranteed to be pot 2 as a minimum since UEFA are using Nations League rankings rather than FIFA rankings to determine the pots.

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

It's more likely that our performances over the next 2 months rather than 2 years will determine if we're in pot 2 for the Euro qualifiers. Win this group and we're guaranteed to be pot 2 as a minimum since UEFA are using Nations League rankings rather than FIFA rankings to determine the pots.

Very good point, forgot that UEFA had moved to that.  A massively important 4 games.

These get updated on the 4th of April.
We'll surely be tumbling down them. The Kazakhstan game will have done massive damage to them, and the San Marino game won't have helped.
Here is how they calculate it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Rankings

The basic formula is

P= Pbefore +I (W - We)

• Pbefore – the team's number of points before the game
  • I – the importance coefficient
  • W – the result of the game
  • We – the expected result of the game

20190325_211409.jpg.6b467964e8abda74fb67e7717dba3209.jpg

But what I'm unsure about is if dr is the difference in points between the two teams or just the difference in places?

So if we use ranking points (287 of a difference) for dr then by my reckoning for the Kazakhstan game it's;

P = 1446 + 25 (0 - 0.1)

P = 1471 (-0.1)

P= -147.1

So we'd lose 147 ranking points and end up with 1299.

Actually having just done dr as the difference in places between the teams (77) it doesn't make as much difference as I thought;

P = 1446 + 25 (0 - 0.09)

P = 1471 (-0.09)

P= -132

So we'd lose 132 ranking points and slide down to 1314 points.

I can only go on the first method I used for dr for the San Marino game as I can't know our ranking before it without spending hours calculating all the results (that's what work is for; maybe tomorrow!).

On that basis we'd gain a massive 22.55 points from the San Marino win, putting us on 1321 points.

Before the game on Thursday here were the teams and positions around that number of points;

20190325_213856.jpg.2c8e3b16a88cbd50e2fa1638e53a58df.jpg

Is that right?

I remember following scotland was all about getting p!shed and having a good time with your pals.

10 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:
On 25/03/2019 at 21:39, DA Baracus said:
These get updated on the 4th of April.
We'll surely be tumbling down them. The Kazakhstan game will have done massive damage to them, and the San Marino game won't have helped.
Here is how they calculate it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Rankings

The basic formula is

P= Pbefore +I (W - We)

• Pbefore – the team's number of points before the game
  • I – the importance coefficient
  • W – the result of the game
  • We – the expected result of the game

20190325_211409.jpg.6b467964e8abda74fb67e7717dba3209.jpg

But what I'm unsure about is if dr is the difference in points between the two teams or just the difference in places?

So if we use ranking points (287 of a difference) for dr then by my reckoning for the Kazakhstan game it's;

P = 1446 + 25 (0 - 0.1)

P = 1471 (-0.1)

P= -147.1

So we'd lose 147 ranking points and end up with 1299.

Actually having just done dr as the difference in places between the teams (77) it doesn't make as much difference as I thought;

P = 1446 + 25 (0 - 0.09)

P = 1471 (-0.09)

P= -132

So we'd lose 132 ranking points and slide down to 1314 points.

I can only go on the first method I used for dr for the San Marino game as I can't know our ranking before it without spending hours calculating all the results (that's what work is for; maybe tomorrow!).

On that basis we'd gain a massive 22.55 points from the San Marino win, putting us on 1321 points.

Before the game on Thursday here were the teams and positions around that number of points;

20190325_213856.jpg.2c8e3b16a88cbd50e2fa1638e53a58df.jpg

Is that right?

I remember following scotland was all about getting p!shed and having a good time with your pals.

It's always been about maths.

"If we beat Holland by three clear goals."

"If there are winners in both the England-Egypt and Ireland-Holland matches, and Uruguay draw with South Korea."

"If we beat Switzerland and England beat Holland and the combined winning margin is 5, and the square root of pi is more than they first number you thought of..."