Albion Rovers vs Clyde

26 minutes ago, Scotchpie said:
17 hours ago, nickCFC58 said:
Anyone know why Syverston came off so early? Don’t think he was really given much opportunity

Ive still to see him play well!

I think away to Annan he was decent but our entire style of play was stifled completely.  Given the nature of his injuries i thought he was bold and looked good when he came on a few weeks ago against stirling. I think the criticism from yesterday is relatively unfair given the fact that we were hardly out of our own half for the first 45' and he was taken off at 50' odd.  Regardless, he's one of the only players on a long term deal so important we get him into the swing of things cos hes gonna be here for a while.  I personally think he has just been unlucky with injuries which havent allowed him to get into a run of form

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

If we go up with this squad plus a few additions i reckon we would be mid table or thereabouts. 

i honestly reckon we could consider a playoff spot. next to no difference in quality from what I can see and if diddy mobs like Arbroath (who we were pumping 4/5 nil under bary ferguson) can run away with that league after a year or two then i cant see why we cant.  Especially given the youth in our squad (avg age 24 i think), things only look up

2 hours ago, nickCFC58 said:

i honestly reckon we could consider a playoff spot. next to no difference in quality from what I can see and if diddy mobs like Arbroath (who we were pumping 4/5 nil under bary ferguson) can run away with that league after a year or two then i cant see why we cant.  Especially given the youth in our squad (avg age 24 i think), things only look up

Depends how much of this squad we can keep i suppose!

2 hours ago, nickCFC58 said:

I'm afraid i really don't see this at all. We're labouring to a now long, exhaustive list of late, 1 or at best 2 goal wins, while largely being carried in attack by a top forward enduring yoyo form. Which was the VERY template laid out by many as how to "get out this league". That is fine by me, to do so. But a large number of our squad are going through the motions, at best, which isn't their fault given their ages. Rankin and Goodie's experience are getting us places, where normally, i think we'd be toe to toe with Annan or Stirling, to he honest. Rumsby and McNiff are two other experienced players who are relishing their roles, and could form part of a good defence in L1- along with Cuddihy and Lang  as two of our young players are technically and physically more than ready to take a step forward also. But of the others, despite being very young (Love, Duffie, Nicoll and Stewart aside), im not sure i see enough that you could build a team around quite yet. Boyle and Coggill have struggled, in particular, but of the others (mainly McStay, Grant and Lamont) they should have learned more from being part of a team capable of winning when playing shite, than i believe they have shown. They absolutely have a future at the club, but additions would be required to provide genuine competition for places. With Nicoll out and Rankin playing anywhere but central midfield since November, i'd say middle-to-fromt is a necessary area to strengthen in. We'd also need a new keeper. Or two. 

I'm amazed at the myths which exist regarding wee skilful players getting more space to showcase themselves in higher divisions, than L2- by that definition, everyone in the world could be able one day to play in the Champions League. The players are bigger, stronger, fitter, more agile and plain and simply better, the higher up the ladder you go. If Boyle can't find the pockets of space he found last year(he barely has done this season), or McStay's passing is on the wane because of dour defensive teams like Albion Rovers (it isn't because of that), there's another, unfortunate reason for it.

I'm afraid i really don't see this at all. We're labouring to a now long, exhaustive list of late, 1 or at best 2 goal wins, while largely being carried in attack by a top forward enduring yoyo form. Which was the VERY template laid out by many as how to "get out this league". That is fine by me, to do so. But a large number of our squad are going through the motions, at best, which isn't their fault given their ages. Rankin and Goodie's experience are getting us places, where normally, i think we'd be toe to toe with Annan or Stirling, to he honest. Rumsby and McNiff are two other experienced players who are relishing their roles, and could form part of a good defence in L1- along with Cuddihy and Lang  as two of our young players are technically and physically more than ready to take a step forward also. But of the others, despite being very young (Love, Duffie, Nicoll and Stewart aside), im not sure i see enough that you could build a team around quite yet. Boyle and Coggill have struggled, in particular, but of the others (mainly McStay, Grant and Lamont) they should have learned more from being part of a team capable of winning when playing shite, than i believe they have shown. They absolutely have a future at the club, but additions would be required to provide genuine competition for places. With Nicoll out and Rankin playing anywhere but central midfield since November, i'd say middle-to-fromt is a necessary area to strengthen in. We'd also need a new keeper. Or two. 

I'm amazed at the myths which exist regarding wee skilful players getting more space to showcase themselves in higher divisions, than L2- by that definition, everyone in the world could be able one day to play in the Champions League. The players are bigger, stronger, fitter, more agile and plain and simply better, the higher up the ladder you go. If Boyle can't find the pockets of space he found last year(he barely has done this season), or McStay's passing is on the wane because of dour defensive teams like Albion Rovers (it isn't because of that), there's another, unfortunate reason for it.

Couldn’t disagree more regarding Boyle and Cogill. Think the latter has suffered due to his injuries and Lang & Rumsby’s subsequent concrete performances. The amount of clean sheets we’ve kept is very unlike clyde.

As for the rest, they are playing in the highest quality league 2 season in years and grinding out results from it. Only 3 teams have rallied more points than we are on right now in a league 2 season, and 2 of them are sat above us right now

Playing budget, I believe. Spending few quid can go a long way to success, as is evident at the top end of our own league. 
Yes an example of this is Albion Rovers who spent big while in League 1 and the lack of a fanbase won't sustain lavish spending.

How does trying to stop a team playing equate to being deserving of anything ?
1st half Rovers wanted it more and a combination of slackness and the pitch condition meant we were very poor.
Almost immediately in the 2nd half we looked a far greater threat, and we started to dominate the game. Rovers 1st half efforts may have tired them, but on the 2nd half display we fully deserved the win .
Currie would have well have been suspended given  how little he had to do. Cuddihy has his worst game in ages, and Lang needs to stop being casual and trying to be a hero. Take a lead out of the ever consistent Rumbsby and just defend.
mcstay my motm, not all passes came off but worked tirelessly 
Credit also to Love who showed what he is - a very useful impact sub.
Banks for Norway next week.
What I'm meaning is we came out with a plan and stuck to it and it nearly paid off

Without being funny we couldnt compete with clyde in a football game so if we stopped clyde playing we stood a chance. We managed to disrupt Clyde's gameplan for long periods.

19 minutes ago, nickCFC58 said:

Couldn’t disagree more regarding Boyle and Cogill. Think the latter has suffered due to his injuries and Lang & Rumsby’s subsequent concrete performances. The amount of clean sheets we’ve kept is very unlike clyde.

As for the rest, they are playing in the highest quality league 2 season in years and grinding out results from it. Only 3 teams have rallied more points than we are on right now in a league 2 season, and 2 of them are sat above us right now

Perhaps my words appear harsher than intended. Both Peterhead and Edinburgh are full of experienced, peak-age players, while our lower average age is well-documented. The three midfielders in particular have adjusted well into playing in a succesful team, without personally excelling (goals return is poor), given their lack  (and in Lamont's case a complete absence) of consistent first team exposure prior to signing for the club. But i fear if we went into L1 as we are, we would greatly struggle to assert the dominance which has been our signature of 80% of matches this season, and potentially damage both their growth and our prospects of further success. I was greatly in favour of a McStay-Grant central axis from the middle of last season, to allow them to make their mistakes while developing as first teamers, and we are of course doing excellently with that pairing. I think a central guv'nor in the Sheridan/Millen mould would only benefit them both, and this should be a priority in a higher, tougher league.

Perhaps my words appear harsher than intended. Both Peterhead and Edinburgh are full of experienced, peak-age players, while our lower average age is well-documented. The three midfielders in particular have adjusted well into playing in a succesful team, without personally excelling (goals return is poor), given their lack  (and in Lamont's case a complete absence) of consistent first team exposure prior to signing for the club. But i fear if we went into L1 as we are, we would greatly struggle to assert the dominance which has been our signature of 80% of matches this season, and potentially damage both their growth and our prospects of further success. I was greatly in favour of a McStay-Grant central axis from the middle of last season, to allow them to make their mistakes while developing as first teamers, and we are of course doing excellently with that pairing. I think a central guv'nor in the Sheridan/Millen mould would only benefit them both, and this should be a priority in a higher, tougher league.

Lamont has had his poor performances but he’s still 2nd top assists in the league and has a few decent goals under his belt. Mcstay starting to come onto a game and Grant has developed greatly this season.

I trust Lennon to make necessary signings if we do go up but have full faith in the ability of the team we have right now. Also, as for Currie, I think he’s excellent. Just needs to work on his distribution at times. Wouldn’t mind picking up that Rovers GK too

Big Norway has tuns of potential, don’t forget he is only 20 
To be honest, I've not really seen this potential from him. Other than his first match where he looked promising I've not been impressed by his performances.

Is it too harsh to say that potential isn't much use in a league where contracts are so short?

He needs to contribute more now.

Danny has done a fantastic job in a plethora of ways. Last year Goodwillie's end of season form was pivotal to the teams upturn in results. 

This year I don't think the team are so reliant on one player. The goals are being shared around the team. Which is credit to players like Lamont, Mcstay and Grant who have stepped up. 

I was very impressed with the way the team battled back to overcome Annan. Danny has instilled a winning mentality and the strong foundation of a solid back four and a team ethic.

Assuming Danny recruits well in the summer. I think Clyde would do just fine in league one. The boys have been great particularly since that win at Balmoor.

My only concern is Goodwillie's continual missing of good chances most weeks in fact every week. Other than that though I am really happy with I am seeing.

Lamont has had his poor performances but he’s still 2nd top assists in the league and has a few decent goals under his belt. Mcstay starting to come onto a game and Grant has developed greatly this season.

I trust Lennon to make necessary signings if we do go up but have full faith in the ability of the team we have right now. Also, as for Currie, I think he’s excellent. Just needs to work on his distribution at times. Wouldn’t mind picking up that Rovers GK too
Rovers keeper PJ Morrison is on loan from Motherwell

2 minutes ago, BroadwoodBoy said:

Was he??

Chapman signed him at the same time as Lamont and Munro and he stayed until the end of the season. Was on the bench pretty much every week he just never got a game!

Archived