Sign in to follow this  
Talbot supporter

Junior Cup Final

This is going to be controversial but merge the Scottish Junior cup and Challenge Cup.

Have the juniors, lowland, highland teams along with Spfl league 1 and Spfl league 2 teams all competing for the new Scottish Challenge cup.

Play the final at 1230pm before the Scottish Cup Final live on TV. Create more interest in it with better teams.
I quite like this idea.

This is going to be controversial but merge the Scottish Junior cup and Challenge Cup.

Have the juniors, lowland, highland teams along with Spfl league 1 and Spfl league 2 teams all competing for the new Scottish Challenge cup.

Play the final at 1230pm before the Scottish Cup Final live on TV. Create more interest in it with better teams.
It is a good idea, ergo it will never happen.

Add in East of Scotland and that is a good suggestion

Well done to Talbot on another win

The final should be before the end of the season imo ,,how many times have we saw two teams knackered by the time it comes around and then we get a poor game that's never a good advert for our level

Lots of very valid points.Junior football is enjoyable to watch in the flesh but trying to translate that to a live tv spectacle on a large senior surface at the fag end of the season is an impossible task.We have so much live football these days that the junior game looks slow.clumsy and lacking in skill on tv-no surprise it is broadcast on a minority tv channel and I wonder what kind of viewing figures it got.

20 minutes ago, ftk said:

Its  a crap idea, SPFL 1 and SPFL 2 teams wont be interested, Highland league teams have enough games to play as it is so wont be interested there. When do you play games Junior Cup games are Saturdays, Challenge cup ties are midweeks at the moment. Invite juniors, what about the 38 EOS (exc Stirling Uni res) and 14 SOS teams (exc Stranraer and Annan Reserves) That's a total of 200+ clubs

Edited by gogsy

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:

Where else would they have been able to play it at today. The only way they would get more choice of venues would be having the final earlier.

And that’s exactly what should have happened

One less round in the cup due to less teams meant we knew the finalists early April, to then wait 7 weeks to play it was mad.

Could have been played on the first Sunday of May, every senior team still playing at that time. Lots of clubs to approach, Thistle, St mirren, Ayr, Motherwell oh, and even Queens Park. 

Its  a crap idea, SPFL 1 and SPFL 2 teams wont be interested, Highland league teams have enough games to play as it is so wont be interested there. When do you play games Junior Cup games are Saturdays, Challenge cup ties are midweeks at the moment.
Game needs vision. Not saying it's perfect, was just an idea I came up with in 2 seconds. We cant just stick with the same boring format year after year because it keeps the dinosaurs happy.

1 minute ago, ftk said:
7 minutes ago, gogsy said:
Its  a crap idea, SPFL 1 and SPFL 2 teams wont be interested, Highland league teams have enough games to play as it is so wont be interested there. When do you play games Junior Cup games are Saturdays, Challenge cup ties are midweeks at the moment.

Game needs vision. Not saying it's perfect, was just an idea I came up with in 2 seconds. We cant just stick with the same boring format year after year because it keeps the dinosaurs happy.

Nothing wrong with having ideas or vision.

Congratulations to Tucker and the squad.

Struggled to find form today but we could still be playing & Largs wouldn't have forced a save from Leishman 

A better plan of action would be to merge junior cup & south challenge cup (plus add HL, NCL & morth juniors) to form an all encompassing non-league cup akin to fa vase/trophy

35 minutes ago, garrellburn said:

Less than a quarter of the crowd at the womens international the other night. Admitedly there were thousands of freebies given out for that game but just shows how the  appeal of the junior cup final has declined over the years . Probably due in part to it being a foregone conclusion  Talbot supporters seeing it as just another game hardly worth getting excited about.  If TJ and his fellow officials don't see this as a real crisis then they are not doing their job, I don't have any real answers either but it cannot be allowed to continue.

To an extent that's comparing apples and oranges - the women's international only sold 3500 advance tickets even at the knockdown price of a fiver, but there was no way the SFA were going to allow that one NOT be a record attendance as it didn't suit the narrative...they papered the house beforehand to a massive extent, giving away some 26000 freebies, probably expecting a quarter of them at most to be redeemed. In the event it was a nice night and just over half the freebie holders decided to use their tickets.

As for the Junior Cup final, it's possible the decline in attendance is down to many neutrals whose presence bumped the numbers up not bothering any more...I'd spoken to a good few punters who I'd normally expect to have gone to today's game over the last week or so and not one of them was making the effort, with the consensus being that this year's competition was more like a WoS cup after the virtual extinction of the East Region and that it would be another routine Talbot win.

As for the Junior Cup final, it's possible the decline in attendance is down to many neutrals whose presence bumped the numbers up not bothering any more...I'd spoken to a good few punters who I'd normally expect to have gone to today's game over the last week or so and not one of them was making the effort, with the consensus being that this year's competition was more like a WoS cup after the virtual extinction of the East Region and that it would be another routine Talbot win.

Feels even more like a WOS considering not only east but also north having no chance of doing anything (1 club has made last 8 since 2000). On the east theres only one club I can foresee even possibly making a final but even at that I don't see the cup leaving Ayrshire nevermind the west as a whole.

6 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Feels even more like a WOS considering not only east but also north having no chance of doing anything (1 club has made last 8 since 2000). On the east theres only one club I can foresee even possibly making a final but even at that I don't see the cup leaving Ayrshire nevermind the west as a whole.

Certainly felt like a Junior Cup Final to me as a neutral and all the Auchinleck and Largs fans I spoke to before during and after the game. One Auchinleck fan summed it up when I asked him if he ever got fed up seeing his team lift the cup and he replied that it gets better every time. Can't argue with that

Great to see both teams being well supported and a decent atmosphere (which may not have come across on TV)despite being in one of my least favourite grounds. 

We are where everyone wants to be. I'm in marmaris enjoying yet another Scottish cup no matter how many times we win it's fantastic. Long may it continue atb eppp. Better every time lol

21 minutes ago, santheman said:

Certainly felt like a Junior Cup Final to me as a neutral and all the Auchinleck and Largs fans I spoke to before during and after the game. One Auchinleck fan summed it up when I asked him if he ever got fed up seeing his team lift the cup and he replied that it gets better every time. Can't argue with that

Great to see both teams being well supported and a decent atmosphere (which may not have come across on TV)despite being in one of my least favourite grounds. 

That's nice San, now get your cup of Horlicks and get to your bed.

18 minutes ago, gogsy said:

That's nice San, now get your cup of Horlicks and get to your bed.

See yer sarcastic wit hasn't deserted you Gogsy (and still cant keep away from the Junior forum I see)

Correct I went to several finals but now seems a shadow of itself in terms of real prestige

35 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Correct I went to several finals but now seems a shadow of itself in terms of real prestige

Not to the fans of the 2 teams in the final it doesn't