Junior Cup Final

Talbot supporter

This is going to be controversial but merge the Scottish Junior cup and Challenge Cup.

Have the juniors, lowland, highland teams along with Spfl league 1 and Spfl league 2 teams all competing for the new Scottish Challenge cup.

Play the final at 1230pm before the Scottish Cup Final live on TV. Create more interest in it with better teams.
A better plan of action would be to merge junior cup & south challenge cup (plus add HL, NCL & morth juniors) to form an all encompassing non-league cup akin to fa vase/trophy

35 minutes ago, garrellburn said:

Less than a quarter of the crowd at the womens international the other night. Admitedly there were thousands of freebies given out for that game but just shows how the  appeal of the junior cup final has declined over the years . Probably due in part to it being a foregone conclusion  Talbot supporters seeing it as just another game hardly worth getting excited about.  If TJ and his fellow officials don't see this as a real crisis then they are not doing their job, I don't have any real answers either but it cannot be allowed to continue.

To an extent that's comparing apples and oranges - the women's international only sold 3500 advance tickets even at the knockdown price of a fiver, but there was no way the SFA were going to allow that one NOT be a record attendance as it didn't suit the narrative...they papered the house beforehand to a massive extent, giving away some 26000 freebies, probably expecting a quarter of them at most to be redeemed. In the event it was a nice night and just over half the freebie holders decided to use their tickets.

As for the Junior Cup final, it's possible the decline in attendance is down to many neutrals whose presence bumped the numbers up not bothering any more...I'd spoken to a good few punters who I'd normally expect to have gone to today's game over the last week or so and not one of them was making the effort, with the consensus being that this year's competition was more like a WoS cup after the virtual extinction of the East Region and that it would be another routine Talbot win.

As for the Junior Cup final, it's possible the decline in attendance is down to many neutrals whose presence bumped the numbers up not bothering any more...I'd spoken to a good few punters who I'd normally expect to have gone to today's game over the last week or so and not one of them was making the effort, with the consensus being that this year's competition was more like a WoS cup after the virtual extinction of the East Region and that it would be another routine Talbot win.

Feels even more like a WOS considering not only east but also north having no chance of doing anything (1 club has made last 8 since 2000). On the east theres only one club I can foresee even possibly making a final but even at that I don't see the cup leaving Ayrshire nevermind the west as a whole.

6 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Feels even more like a WOS considering not only east but also north having no chance of doing anything (1 club has made last 8 since 2000). On the east theres only one club I can foresee even possibly making a final but even at that I don't see the cup leaving Ayrshire nevermind the west as a whole.

Certainly felt like a Junior Cup Final to me as a neutral and all the Auchinleck and Largs fans I spoke to before during and after the game. One Auchinleck fan summed it up when I asked him if he ever got fed up seeing his team lift the cup and he replied that it gets better every time. Can't argue with that

Great to see both teams being well supported and a decent atmosphere (which may not have come across on TV)despite being in one of my least favourite grounds. 

Correct I went to several finals but now seems a shadow of itself in terms of real prestige

Don't let anyone kid themselves on that the lack of teams from the east region would make any difference.

These teams that went to the EOS were regularly getting pumped from the west in the Scottish before they moved on, in fact that may be the reason they did move !!!!!

9 hours ago, firewarden said:

We are where everyone wants to be. I'm in marmaris enjoying yet another Scottish cup no matter how many times we win it's fantastic. Long may it continue atb eppp. Better every time lol

Not actually at the game then.

Supporter of the year.

7 hours ago, santheman said:

Not to the fans of the 2 teams in the final it doesn't

Absolutely, and that'll always be the case.

Its appeal is perhaps becoming more selective to people who aren't fans of the teams in the final though.

Ran out of superlatives for Talbot. Phenomenal in the literal sense of the word is the best description (Thanks Mr McInally).

Congratulations to everyone involved with the club. The unbelievable work ethic continues both on and off the park. 

Mon the Talbot!

11 hours ago, superpollok said:

And that’s exactly what should have happened

One less round in the cup due to less teams meant we knew the finalists early April, to then wait 7 weeks to play it was mad.

Could have been played on the first Sunday of May, every senior team still playing at that time. Lots of clubs to approach, Thistle, St mirren, Ayr, Motherwell oh, and even Queens Park

£20,000 rent last time I heard - may have gone up since, unlikely to have gone down. Not ever going to happen. SAFA get it free due to status of QP.

3 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Absolutely, and that'll always be the case.

Its appeal is perhaps becoming more selective to people who aren't fans of the teams in the final though.

Still the best attended non league  cup final in Scotland though and will in all probability continue to be so for the foreseeable future

Was in the small stand looking to the Talbot end and Largs behind the goals. Both very healthy crowds but very disappointed with the Largs fans mostly all leaving before their own players got their medals.
It shouldn't matter, but these players got their team to a national final, probably got some excitement moving on the town and to stay for a few extra moments to applaud them for it wasn't too much to ask.

16 hours ago, santheman said:

Not to the fans of the 2 teams in the final it doesn't

I still look back with fondness at our North Ayrshire Cup win in 2006 (the only cup I've seen us win in fact - the 2013 Ayrshire Cup win had me WORKING that night...) - while I do feel the Scottish isn't what it was even ten years ago (mostly due to the decline of the East Region and Talbot's dominance), this was an amazing weekend for me and everyone involved with the club.

I would also like to say I did stay on to speak with the team after full-time - it was sad a lot of our fans left swiftly.

Fantastic from Talbot. Just machines when it comes to big games. Been at the last two and I thought Hamilton was better atmosphere than an empty rugby park. However would much rather see everyone crammed into a junior venue!! (Health and safety would have a field day!). 

On the park thought S.Wilson was excellent, does all the dirty work and running that many don’t notice - great player