Scotland Under 19s

I think I'm correct in saying they'll qualify for the Euro Finals in July if they can avoid defeat against Portugal tomorrow?

u19 group.png

Obviously that's easier said than done with Portugal being at home and being the holders but a decent chance for Billy Stark's young guns, amid some serious negativity about the Scottish national side.

22 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

This took me back to 2006 when we qualified for the only time in history and made the Final... Looking at the squad I have to admit I don't know who Charlie Grant or Greg Cameron even are.

Greg Cameron was very highly rated at Dundee Utd but got a bad injury I'm sure. He might be their youngest ever player?

5 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I think I'm correct in saying they'll qualify for the Euro Finals in July if they can avoid defeat against Portugal tomorrow?

u19 group.png

Obviously that's easier said than done with Portugal being at home and being the holders but a decent chance for Billy Stark's young guns, amid some serious negativity about the Scottish national side.

I've mentioned* the U19s over on the Rangers thread and they've had 2 good wins.  Best wishes to the boys for their next game.

The line-ups for those teams back in 2006 for anyone interested. Steven Fletcher and Robert Snodgrass were both in the squad but missed the final through suspension (seems a bit harsh for a youth tournament but whatever)

Disappointing that so few of them have ended up having really good careers. You'd expect some of them to be regulars for top clubs and the national side at this point, surely? I wonder how we could go about helping players progress from this level onwards.

under 19s.png

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Regarding my earlier question - I'm guessing Charles Grant not even having a Wikipedia page doesn't bode well of his subsequent career.

He was an outstanding youth player at Celtic, but injury ended his career.  

Regarding my earlier question - I'm guessing Charles Grant not even having a Wikipedia page doesn't bode well of his subsequent career.
Retired quite young due to a medical condition

It's not really strange though is it?

Clearly we had a group of decent young players who did well in one tournament. Spain have a conveyor belt of talent that allows them to challenge for finals at every age group, every year. Spain have top coaches and looking from the outside, a culture and work ethic that breeds good players. We have Ricky Sbragia, an awful drinking culture and a horrible negative outlook on everything. A quick Google search doesn't give a definitive figure, but you could say Spanish football brings in circa £100M in TV Deals, probably more? Our league takes in £32M a year in TV deals.

6 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

Well yes actually it is strange, because they generally made significantly less full international appearances than other similar stature countries who made the final.

The squad for Scotland won 82 caps

Slovakia 2002(semi finalists) - 100
Turkey 2004 - 124
Austria 2006(semis) - 170
Greece 2007 - 112
Hungary 2008(semis) - 121
Ukraine 2009 - 55
Czechs 2011 - 135
Greece 2012 - 78
Serbia 2013 - 105

Moved the goalposts. Your first post said it was strange when contrasted with that Spain team, didn't mention other similar nations. In any case, there are 4 teams on your list there that have considerably more caps than our guys got, I don't think Scotlands caps are disproportionately strange there.

6 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

I said ESPECIALLY when contrasted with Spain. 

"In any case, there are 4 teams on your list there that have considerably more caps than our guys got,"

They  all have considerably more other than Ukraine and Slovakia.  The rest of them will add a lot more caps onto their totals given that  the Czechs, Greeks and Serbs of 2011+ are all under 26 years old. (Greece 2007 is actually 201 caps, I missed out Sokratis)

Uh huh, and I commented that it wasn't strange at all when you contrast it with what Spain have for resources.

I wouldn't say 100/105 caps is considerably more than 82 but I'll admit that's pedantry. I still don't think those figures highlight anything strange about us.

14 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

Uh huh, and why is that supposed to be relevant exactly? We're talking about progressing players from youth squads to full squads. It's a relative issue champ, it's got nothing to so with the difference in resources, finances, population or anything else between Scotland and Spain.

I don't know, why did you contrast the two nations if you didn't think it was relevant?

Your mask slipped a bit with that champ comment, Pep.

1 hour ago, Estragon is a fud said:

Wit? I'm saying mentioning resources is irrelevant you utter loonball. How are you still failing to follow this? Are you Alex McLeish?

I'm not failing to follow anything. The amount of resources a country has will have an effect on how many good players it can produce. Do you dispute that?

Archived