Boycott

velo army

Would you be willing to boycott home games in order to force the SFA to enact changes?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to boycott home games in order to force the SFA to enact changes?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/04/19 at 23:00

We Scotland fans are expressing a lot of anger and frustration with the SFA. We're angry at the shambolic and lazy contempt surrounding the appointment of Alex McLeish; appointed ad hoc without any process of offering the post out to coached worldwide. We're also angry at the regressive attitudes of coaches at younger levels (hiya Sbragia etc) and we have a lot of anxiety surrounding the present and future of our game. 

I believe that there will be no meaningful change at the top without some kind of action from fans. Collective action has historically been the only agent of major change and it is my contention that the SFA need to be reminded whom they serve. To that end I want to organise a fan boycott and protest at Hampden on the date of the next home game, against Cyprus on the 8th of June. The SFA simply expect that fans will turn up. We have to show them that we're willing to hit them in the pocket to force them to change the manager, at the very least.

I want to know who would be willing to join such a boycott. You don't have to necessarily protest, but having a few thousand signatures corresponding with a number of empty seats would be a powerful message.

If you want to get on board and help in a more active way then send me a PM.

While I see where you're coming from, it's never going to be organised enough to make it happen.  

Personally, I'm already boycotting it indirectly.  I just cannot be arsed shelling out the money they want (even though it's a bit more reasonable this year) with the shit kick-off times, just to watch what we'll likely be served up.

8 minutes ago, forameus said:

While I see where you're coming from, it's never going to be organised enough to make it happen.  

Personally, I'm already boycotting it indirectly.  I just cannot be arsed shelling out the money they want (even though it's a bit more reasonable this year) with the shit kick-off times, just to watch what we'll likely be served up.

I'm planning on organising it, with the help of a few willing others. 

At the moment people are voting with their feet, but this becomes a protest when you add a specific and explicit intention to it. It's also about media perception. If there is a low attendance and there's a petition with a few thousand signatures on it, what starts as "fan apathy" becomes "fan's boycotting in protest" which is an entirely different and more powerful conversation.

1 minute ago, velo army said:

At the moment people are voting with their feet, but this becomes a protest when you add a specific and explicit intention to it. It's also about media perception. If there is a low attendance and there's a petition with a few thousand signatures on it, what starts as "fan apathy" becomes "fan's boycotting in protest" which is an entirely different and more powerful conversation.

I more meant that no matter how hard you try, you're unlikely going to be able to organise it to the degree that it makes a huge difference.  Signatures, aye, you've got a better chance, but for a boycott it's more difficult.  You'll get people that don't really care, or do care, but not enough to not go to the game.  You'll get happy clappers.  You'll get families that just want to take in a game.  Or you'll get people that might've been interested but aren't exposed to it.  Plus what about those that have already bought season tickets?  They'll either go because they've already paid, or not, but the latter doesn't matter to the SFA as they have their money.

I'm not trying to be a dick, completely respect what you're trying to do.  If the SFA care, which I doubt.

2 minutes ago, velo army said:

Couldn't agree more and happy to participate/help/do whatever is needed. 

How's about a more positive spin approach, like a silence/everyone holding up cards in the 21st minute (21 years since France 98). Might be more impactful to do something with the people there than to rely on empty seats making the point (let's face it - a half empty Hampden for s Scotland game isn't unusual these days anyway)

It needs to be as visible as possible, so you need to do things like have banners at the games and protests outside Hampden etc.

Stuff that will get in the papers and on their websites basically. 

7 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

How's about a more positive spin approach, like a silence/everyone holding up cards in the 21st minute (21 years since France 98). Might be more impactful to do something with the people there than to rely on empty seats making the point (let's face it - a half empty Hampden for s Scotland game isn't unusual these days anyway)

A half empty hampden still keeps the blazers in free dinners and wine. They wont care unless about 3k turn up there only after money and what they can get out of us.

Edited by kenny131

1 minute ago, MarkoRaj said:

Banners and protests don't work. You've already seen how the media spin things to make it seem like the fans are the ones that are being unreasonable. Hit them in the pocket, the only way they will notice.

But how much do they actually make off of attendances at games? Is it really that much that they'd care? Surely most of their money comes from sponsorship and UEFA/FIFA money, as well as hiring out Hampden (they get a cut of that I think)?

Said it for years, the only place you'll hurt those running the game is in the pocket.

Boycotting all aspects of the SFA. The sponsors will soon abandon them when they see there's f**k all in it for them.

10 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Paying into the game and protesting is worthless.  Bank balance is the only place to hit them and make them listen.

Don’t go regularly anyway these days 
10-15 years ago, home games were usually 3pm on a Saturday 
The SFA can stick their Thursday evening kick offs and £60 tickets for England games up their arse 

There's a lot to be annoyed with the SFA at but that's not something they control. This whole "week of football" stuff is a total nonsense though. Sadly it's probably meant more money for UEFA by spreading the games across more kick off slots so it's here to stay.

My last Scotland game was in October 2001 when we beat Latvia 2-1.  I think we needed a minor miracle to qualify for Japan/SK.  Something like we had to win by 6 goals and Croatia had to lose to someone by a few.  Belgium maybe?

I’ve got a season ticket for the qualifiers (lucky me) and it would take a very well organised and targeted boycott to make me consider joining it. If it is a vague protest the media would just portray it as fans being unhappy with recent results or the current manager. It would take a lot of effort to ensure a message was put across that it was about a bigger picture.

As others have said, it would take an exceptationally low attendance for it to make headline news, and I would still expect thousands of fans to turn up at the game with no idea a protest was taking place.