Kieran Tierney

RandomGuy.

30 minutes ago, Estragon said:

I don't think it's quite that, although undoubtedly this was a definite tone in decades past.

I think it's genuinely more to do with the fact that the Celtic-based Scotland players are pretty much our best players, and it's double frustrating to see them running rough shod over all our teams most weeks, before then withdrawing themselves from matches you're supporting them to win in.  It's primarily disappointment and externalised frustration.  Now, whether that'll fit your tired old siege mentality rhetoric or not I don't know, but that's what it is.

The reason that James Forrest was "utterly despised" for the national team was that he was utter pish for them, not for the fact that he was a Celtic player.

It comes down to whether the players are likeable in the first place. Callum McGregor, Ryan Christie and Craig Gordon are all more or less universally popular (as was Stuart Armstrong whilst at Celtic), and so none of them get much in the way of criticism.  McGregor's utterly abject performances in both games have barely been discussed on here. Scott Brown is an arsehole domestically but always gave 100% when he turned up for Scotland and so he was also popular amongst the fans (apart from the weirdos who thought he was rubbish, the same ones who have moved on to McGinn now).

In contrast, Forrest was hopeless for years and regularly pulled out of squads. Tierney has played well when called upon (shitemare out of position in Israel aside), but has barely turned up of late.

Edited by craigkillie

RandomGuy getting hysterical over a non-issue? Shocker.

The only player who really needs to be looked at this time is Steven Fletcher. To do otherwise would just open a can of worms and end up seeing players who are genuinely injured coming into some stick. Look at the grief Robertson is getting for something that was clear as day ffs.

RandomGuy getting hysterical over a non-issue? Shocker.

The only player who really needs to be looked at this time is Steven Fletcher. To do otherwise would just open a can of worms and end up seeing players who are genuinely injured coming into some stick. Look at the grief Robertson is getting for something that was clear as day ffs.

Why only Fletcher?

Paterson and Fraser refused to play because of a plastic pitch and then swaned straight into last night's starting 11 (with Paterson ironicly getting injured). You either play or you don't, we can ill afford to have players pick and choose what games they are available for. That's where we require a competent manager to act appropriately.

Then you have you're captain missing a game because of an abscess he could've got sorted early this week to allow himself to be fit for the weekend.

The players don't give a f**k and should be hounded as much as the failure of a gaffer, Fletcher is one of them, but he isn't the only one.

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Why only Fletcher?

Paterson and Fraser refused to play because of a plastic pitch and then swaned straight into last night's starting 11 (with Paterson ironicly getting injured). You either play or you don't, we can ill afford to have players pick and choose what games they are available for. That's where we require a competent manager to act appropriately.

Then you have you're captain missing a game because of an abscess he could've got sorted early this week to allow himself to be fit for the weekend.

The players don't give a f**k and should be hounded as much as the failure of a gaffer, Fletcher is one of them, but he isn't the only one.

Headsgone, cliched pish

1 hour ago, The OP said:

It might just be my paranoia but I detect an odd "Celtic players are quislings" theme that runs through the Scotland threads. Celtic players apparently don't sing the national anthem with sufficient gusto and James Forrest was utterly despised before he scored 5 goals in 2 games and, given that form is impossible to maintain, it won't be long until he is despised again.

A cynicism can take root about certain Celtic players when they’re ushered into the Scotland team (eg Bain, Lewis Morgan). Maybe a suspicion they’ve benefited from favouritism and got there too easily, or that Scotland is in thrall to Celtic.

At the same time there’s a preconception that Celtic’s better players – to a degree I don’t think I see outside the Old Firm – don’t view playing for the country as the honour others might; the sense they openly prioritise club football; whether that’s brazenly announcing their fitness the day after missing an international through injury, or simply retiring from international duty (eg Brown twice and Commons).

There are tons of exceptions, plenty of players you’d never doubt the commitment of. But there’s enough evidence of ambivalence to have kept these murmurings going for decades.

Definitely isn’t just a Celtic thing though. It’s any big team. A few years ago, mentions of Ryan Jack, Allan McGregor or the call-off king Barry Ferguson, would have prompted similar sentiments about Rangers.

13 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:
Headsgone, cliched pish

Yes, my head has completely gone.

11 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Not one bit of that was headsgone.

'refused to play'

'don't give a f**k'

'could have got it sorted early'

All assumptions based on perception from the outside.

29 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Why only Fletcher?

I'd say that, given that the manager and his coaching staff were going on about the risks of a plastic pitch, as well as it being peddled in this country constantly, makes it understandable that players might want to not play. Especially someone like Paterson who's not THAT long after a serious knee injury. The manager and his staff are responsible for that turn of events. Not the players.

As for Robertson, you have no idea when he could get it fixed. He even offered to make his own way over at his own expense and was told not to go. So again, how can you simply tell him to f**k off?

Steven Fletcher does get a slight pass, but there were two international games to be played, and not every striker would have been playing in the first game anyways. He could have made the trip even with his reservations about plastic pitches. He didn't.

Why do we still have OF matches right after international breaks?

Is it one of the conditions requested by the clubs that are fed into the big fixture machine?

Is it dictated by tv?

Or do we just have idiots putting shite in and getting shite out when it maps out domestic fixtures around international breaks?

Im not saying KT wasnt injured or it couldnt have been handled better, but we could have written the script he'd be "fit" for the OF game.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

It comes down to whether the players are likeable in the first place. Callum McGregor, Ryan Christie and Craig Gordon are all more or less universally popular (as was Stuart Armstrong whilst at Celtic), and so none of them get much in the way of criticism.  McGregor's utterly abject performances in both games have barely been discussed on here. Scott Brown is an arsehole domestically but always gave 100% when he turned up for Scotland and so he was also popular amongst the fans (apart from the weirdos who thought he was rubbish, the same ones who have moved on to McGinn now).

In contrast, Forrest was hopeless for years and regularly pulled out of squads. Tierney has played well when called upon (shitemare out of position in Israel aside), but has barely turned up of late.

Tbf Forrest comes in for a lot of undue stick from Celtic supporters, in my section at least. Playing on the wing and not being perfect seems to attract more criticism than most other positions. 

Not having a dig at Tierney but the amount of games he's missed has only highlighted how daft it was for McLeish to try an shoehorn both Robertson and Tierney in the same team. My main reason for hating that formation as it prevented Fraser and Forrest from playing in their best position. 

Tierney has obviously played a lot of games so has picked up injuries, just hope he doesn't end up injury prone and fails to reach his potential. 

16 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Why do we still have OF matches right after international breaks?

Is it one of the conditions requested by the clubs that are fed into the big fixture machine?

Is it dictated by tv?

Or do we just have idiots putting shite in and getting shite out when it maps out domestic fixtures around international breaks?

Im not saying KT wasnt injured or it couldnt have been handled better, but we could have written the script he'd be "fit" for the OF game.

There are three of them to be scheduled in the first 33 weeks of the season, and they're pretty much always going to be scheduled on a weekend, which immediately rules out some dates. There are four international breaks during the season (September, October, November, March), and so it's always going to avoid scheduling at least one of them on a date immediately after (or before?) the internationals whilst still keeping on top of the various other obligations of the fixture list.

So KT was declared unfit by the SFA doctor to fly 8 hours and to play a game on a surface which may exacerbate his injury (research hasn't concluded anything either way so a'body is erring on the side of caution).  Ten days later he will be fit to play in a game.

Aside from the hysterical assertion that KT is a highly skilled actor (would be a Jags fan etc) who is somehow capable of faking whatever physical tests put forward, isn't it just easier to rest on the assumption that a young athlete can recover from injury in a whopping 10 days? 

I think it's far more likely with everyone who was assessed and then sent home that it's the Scotland doctors themselves more at fault than the players.  Not saying they're passing people unfit who are fine, but I suspect that far fewer risks are taken with players today than they would've been in the past.  Rightly or wrongly, the national setup will likely be terrified of clubs and the power they hold, and players are often going along with that.

Just now, forameus said:

Rightly or wrongly, the national setup will likely be terrified of clubs and the power they hold, and players are often going along with that.

I can't agree here, plenty other nations seem to get their best players joining up with squads regularly. If McLeish and his management team keep acting like sheepish wee shitebags when discussing players coming on International duty then we'll continue to be treated like sheepish wee shitebags by clubs and players alike.

How many of Russia's team weren't risked due to the plastic pitch yesterday? 

Our management looked at it and thought "ach, it's only Kazakhstan there's no point in risking them" and it's blown up in their face. Fraser could easily have been sent out there and played, it was only a lack of desire (from our management/Fraser) that stopped him playing.  Fletcher and Paterson the same. Paterson ended up injured yesterday playing on grass - will we stop risking folk on grass too? Not buying Robertsons abscess either - he played 90 minutes for Liverpool and 10 minutes after the game was ruled out for us because it required urgent surgery - that's fine but if he required urgent surgery 10 minutes after kick off then he required urgent surgery before kick off and Liverpool sent him out there to do his job. We could equally send him out there to do his job and tell Liverpool to ram it, but we're sheepish wee shitebags that don't want to piss anyone off.  What are these clubs going to do, stop releasing them for international duty? Can see that going down well.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I can't agree here, plenty other nations seem to get their best players joining up with squads regularly. If McLeish and his management team keep acting like sheepish wee shitebags when discussing players coming on International duty then we'll continue to be treated like sheepish wee shitebags by clubs and players alike.

How many of Russia's team weren't risked due to the plastic pitch yesterday? 

Our management looked at it and thought "ach, it's only Kazakhstan there's no point in risking them" and it's blown up in their face. Fraser could easily have been sent out there and played, it was only a lack of desire (from our management/Fraser) that stopped him playing.  Fletcher and Paterson the same. Paterson ended up injured yesterday playing on grass - will we stop risking folk on grass too? Not buying Robertsons abscess either - he played 90 minutes for Liverpool and 10 minutes after the game was ruled out for us because it required urgent surgery - that's fine but if he required urgent surgery 10 minutes after kick off then he required urgent surgery before kick off and Liverpool sent him out there to do his job. We could equally send him out there to do his job and tell Liverpool to ram it, but we're sheepish wee shitebags that don't want to piss anyone off.  What are these clubs going to do, stop releasing them for international duty? Can see that going down well.

Plenty other nations are irrelevant here, as they're likely not shitebags.  I wasn't saying what they were doing was understandable or correct, just a potential reason why they're doing it, and why it isn't necessarily the players' fault.  I can easily see situations where the coaching team think that a player probably could come in and do a job, but worry about what his club will think.

And you're correct, that is absolute shitebaggery, but unfortunately it's where we are now.  Notice how the vast majority of call-offs are from English clubs, with their over-inflated sense of worth, terrified of losing more sky money.  Celtic have started doing it too at certain points, but it's far from widespread, and they've been contributing the vast majority of our team for a while now.

Just now, forameus said:

Plenty other nations are irrelevant here, as they're likely not shitebags.  I wasn't saying what they were doing was understandable or correct, just a potential reason why they're doing it, and why it isn't necessarily the players' fault.  I can easily see situations where the coaching team think that a player probably could come in and do a job, but worry about what his club will think.

And you're correct, that is absolute shitebaggery, but unfortunately it's where we are now.  Notice how the vast majority of call-offs are from English clubs, with their over-inflated sense of worth, terrified of losing more sky money.  Celtic have started doing it too at certain points, but it's far from widespread, and they've been contributing the vast majority of our team for a while now.

I don't really accept that it's just where we are and we need to deal with it.  Even Northern Ireland put their foot down with Lafferty a while back, all it takes is a manager with a spine and a set of balls. Alex McLeish shouldn't be worrying what effect our games have on Liverpool's or any other teams run-in. He has the job to get Scotland back to Finals and he should be ruthless in that respect. I'm obviously not expecting that players play through actual injury but anyone saying they don't want to play for fear of injury can get in the fucking sea as far as I'm concerned.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't really accept that it's just where we are and we need to deal with it.  Even Northern Ireland put their foot down with Lafferty a while back, all it takes is a manager with a spine and a set of balls. Alex McLeish shouldn't be worrying what effect our games have on Liverpool's or any other teams run-in. He has the job to get Scotland back to Finals and he should be ruthless in that respect. I'm obviously not expecting that players play through actual injury but anyone saying they don't want to play for fear of injury can get in the fucking sea as far as I'm concerned.

And that takes the SFA to hire someone like that.

I'd love it to be the case, and it's not as if I'm just resigned to it never happening, but I can only really see it getting worse in this country.  English clubs are only going to disappear further up their own arses, and our best players are probably always going to play there.  

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

How would you like the manager to put his foot down with regards to Tierney in this situation?

Declared injured by the national team medical staff, but aye, Tierney, you play for Celtic therefore if you are ruled out by the national teams medical staff it creates mass hysteria by fans of other clubs therefore ............ you are banned from playing in Celtics next game!