Kieran Tierney

RandomGuy.

"Kieran Tierney will declare himself fit for Sundays Old Firm fixture, despite missing both Scotland games through injury"

SFA and McLeish have a chance to make a major statement here, one that will make a huge point. Get on to FIFA, and make sure he cant play in that game. See how he reacts next time we have a vital game.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Kieran Tierney will declare himself fit for Sundays Old Firm fixture, despite missing both Scotland games through injury"
SFA and McLeish have a chance to make a major statement here, one that will make a huge point. Get on to FIFA, and make sure he cant play in that game. See how he reacts next time we have a vital game.
No, they don't. Tierney turned up for international duty and was declared unfit by the SFA doctor, so they cannot use the FIFA rule. That is for players who don't turn up for international duty.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No, they don't. Tierney turned up for international duty and was declared unfit by the SFA doctor, so they cannot use the FIFA rule. That is for players who don't turn up for international duty.

Should've known, really, hes clearly still at it though, which is the frustrating bit. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Should've known, really, hes clearly still at it though, which is the frustrating bit. 

I'm going to side with the qualified medical expert who assessed him here.

The statement that McLeish should make (if he continues in situ) is that he stops getting picked for Scotland.  Whatever the medical advice was on this occasion, it doesn't improve the fact that the guy has pulled out of 4 out of the last 6 squads.  He's an excellent footballer, but we just can't afford to pick a guy who's quite so unreliable.

He's not mentally capable of fulfilling his potential for club or country.  I think he'll go to England this season, and be unable to hack it, come back up to Parkhead in a couple of years time and end up with 500+ games for them.  And realistically, that's an amazing career, and probably the height of his ambition - but he's got some of the attributes needed to go much further than that.

Even if Tierney was at it, there's no way McLeish or the SFA would have the balls to have a go at one of the Cheeks. Everyone knows the national team is a sideshow and the Cheeks are the main event.

The statement that McLeish should make (if he continues in situ) is that he stops getting picked for Scotland.  Whatever the medical advice was on this occasion, it doesn't improve the fact that the guy has pulled out of 4 out of the last 6 squads.  He's an excellent footballer, but we just can't afford to pick a guy who's quite so unreliable.
He's not mentally capable of fulfilling his potential for club or country.  I think he'll go to England this season, and be unable to hack it, come back up to Parkhead in a couple of years time and end up with 500+ games for them.  And realistically, that's an amazing career, and probably the height of his ambition - but he's got some of the attributes needed to go much further than that.
He's a 21 year-old who has been playing 50 games a season, it's hardly a surprise he's going to pick up some injuries.

He was out for Celtic over the Christmas period and has been struggling with injury for a little while. He then was willing to fly to Kazakhstan, which is a long way to go just to pull out. I had doubts about him in the previous squad, but I think you have to give him the benefit of the doubt this time.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He's a 21 year-old who has been playing 50 games a season, it's hardly a surprise he's going to pick up some injuries.

He was out for Celtic over the Christmas period and has been struggling with injury for a little while. He then was willing to fly to Kazakhstan, which is a long way to go just to pull out. I had doubts about him in the previous squad, but I think you have to give him the benefit of the doubt this time.

I appreciate that Craig, but I'm not just talking about this particular squad.  His record at fulfilling international commitments has been a concern for some time, and I find it particularly distasteful that his availability for Sunday's game is announced the day immediately after the international weekend.  That's too undermining to be a coincidence.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Has happened loads of times with many, many players and has been mentioned it was the Scotland doctor who said he was unfit.

Why would this poster single out KT...?

8 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Has happened loads of times with many, many players and has been mentioned it was the Scotland doctor who said he was unfit.

Why would this poster single out KT...?

It might just be my paranoia but I detect an odd "Celtic players are quislings" theme that runs through the Scotland threads. Celtic players apparently don't sing the national anthem with sufficient gusto and James Forrest was utterly despised before he scored 5 goals in 2 games and, given that form is impossible to maintain, it won't be long until he is despised again.

1 minute ago, The OP said:

It might just be my paranoia but I detect an odd "Celtic players are quislings" theme that runs through the Scotland threads. Celtic players apparently don't sing the national anthem with sufficient gusto and James Forrest was utterly despised before he scored 5 goals in 2 games and, given that form is impossible to maintain, it won't be long until he is despised again.

Even more suprising is the fact that KT is supposedly "shite", you think people would be happy that he's not playing.

Maybe @RandomGuy can explain this, maybe he can't.

9 minutes ago, The OP said:

I don't think it's quite that, although undoubtedly this was a definite tone in decades past.

I think it's genuinely more to do with the fact that the Celtic-based Scotland players are pretty much our best players, and it's double frustrating to see them running rough shod over all our teams most weeks, before then withdrawing themselves from matches you're supporting them to win in.  It's primarily disappointment and externalised frustration.  Now, whether that'll fit your tired old siege mentality rhetoric or not I don't know, but that's what it is.

The reason that James Forrest was "utterly despised" for the national team was that he was utter pish for them, not for the fact that he was a Celtic player.

Archived