Strachan or McLeish?

Ludo*1

Rock and a hard place - what would you do?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Of course we want our manager to be articulate.  The post does actually involve communication.

I would prefer them to be a good football manager. This is not contingent on 'speaking well' - see Steven Pressley, Neil McCann etc.

8 hours ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I would prefer them to be a good football manager. This is not contingent on 'speaking well' - see Steven Pressley, Neil McCann etc.

Steven Pressley doesn't speak well.  He speaks slowly and deliberately, giving a superficial impression that he's thoughtful and insightful.  He's not though.  He's a balloon.

Of course being able to speak well is not the only prerequisite of being able to manage, but it's entirely reasonable to suggest it might be one of them.

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Steven Pressley doesn't speak well.  He speaks slowly and deliberately, giving a superficial impression that he's thoughtful and insightful.  He's not though.  He's a balloon.

Of course being able to speak well is not the only prerequisite of being able to manage, but it's entirely reasonable to suggest it might be one of them.

Aye, but my point was that 'speaks well' is a loaded term in Scotland, and this is a point which you are now deliberately missing. 

Was Strachan better than McLeish? Yes, undoubtedly.

Does that mean that Strachan should be invited to come back? No. It was time for a change, but unfortunately the change that was made was the wrong one.

The pool of players, while not amazing, isn't actually anywhere near as bad as recent results would indicate. Someone who could organise and motivate the players would get a lot more out of the team than McLeish currently is.

5 hours ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

Aye, but my point was that 'speaks well' is a loaded term in Scotland, and this is a point which you are now deliberately missing. 

I'm not missing anything, deliberately or otherwise.

I'm just disagreeing with you.

On 25/03/2019 at 16:23, TheScarf said:

i remember on more than one occasion there was a clear question getting asked in the media of certain players and then he would play them out of spite.  Chris Martin over Leigh Griffiths being one.  

"For Fucks" Forsyth at left back!

On 3/26/2019 at 13:09, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

Was Strachan better than McLeish? Yes, undoubtedly.

Does that mean that Strachan should be invited to come back? No. It was time for a change, but unfortunately the change that was made was the wrong one.

The pool of players, while not amazing, isn't actually anywhere near as bad as recent results would indicate. Someone who could organise and motivate the players would get a lot more out of the team than McLeish currently is.

Starting each sentence with a question? I couldn't help reading that in a Strachan voice :)

I agree our players are better than the Israel away and Kazakhstan results suggest. It annoys me when people like Moyes today come out and grumble about how 'we're at rock bottom' and 'it'll take generations to fix'. We rumpity-pumped Albania away 4-0 only a matter of months ago and played as well as I've seen us play for a long time! Not saying that's our normal level but we are capable of it. It's about consistently hitting the right groove in games and playing at or beyond the sum of our parts.

We're in Group B of the Nations League and the third seeds out of a possible 6 in our qualifying group.  We're clearly not at 'rock bottom' Davie.

16 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Starting each sentence with a question? I couldn't help reading that in a Strachan voice :)

Shit, I'm rumbled. 

In seriousness, the whole "we're at rock bottom and it'll take a generation to fix" thing is at best awfully dramatic and at worst an absolute cop out.

We have had two awful results (Israel away and Kazakhstan), a poor performance against San Marino and a couple of decent performances (Israel at home and Albania). Hiring someone who can bring discipline, organisation and a game-plan to the team would bring about an instant improvement in performance. A decent manager would recognise that we have no world class players, and that the only way to compete with teams that do have world class players (i.e. Belgium) is for the team to perform well as a unit.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

We're in Group B of the Nations League and the third seeds out of a possible 6 in our qualifying group.  We're clearly not at 'rock bottom' Davie.

This.  Always amuses me the "it couldn't get any worse" crowd.  It can get much, much, MUCH worse from here.  We can't really see the top, and although we're sliding slowly down at the moment, we're pretty far from rock bottom.

On 3/24/2019 at 20:39, gannonball said:

Strachan. But if you said a bag of cement or McLeish I would rather have the bag of cement in the dugout.

It might be unrealistic but I think we need to at least put the feelers out and see if bag of cement would be interested. 

5 hours ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

Shit, I'm rumbled. 

In seriousness, the whole "we're at rock bottom and it'll take a generation to fix" thing is at best awfully dramatic and at worst an absolute cop out.

We have had two awful results (Israel away and Kazakhstan), a poor performance against San Marino and a couple of decent performances (Israel at home and Albania). Hiring someone who can bring discipline, organisation and a game-plan to the team would bring about an instant improvement in performance. A decent manager would recognise that we have no world class players, and that the only way to compete with teams that do have world class players (i.e. Belgium) is for the team to perform well as a unit.

Let's be realistic, even if we may not be at rock bottom yet, those five results in successive competitive games are a flimsy basis for any complacency.

Losing two of them, and particularly in the manner in which they occurred, was evidence that things are going south at an alarming rate following a welcome upswing under Strachan.

Archived