Chernobyl

I've been wanting to pick it up on Blu-Ray for a while, but you can get a sense of how popular it's been by the price it sells for  :blink:

Incidentally...and this will only be of interest to tech geeks, so look away now...the UK Blu-Ray bizarrely only provides a 1080i picture, whereas the rest of Europe and America gets full 1080p for their Blu-Ray. I was going to splurge on Amazon's £24.99 Steelbook Edition until I discovered that it's the same.

Basically, the picture quality isn't as good on the UK release. The American Blu-Ray is region locked so, if you fancy picking it up and you're going to be in Europe sometime soon, wait and grab a copy while you're over there. And buy me a copy of their steelbook too, please - I'm good for the money  :angel

4 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I've been wanting to pick it up on Blu-Ray for a while, but you can get a sense of how popular it's been by the price it sells for  :blink:

Incidentally...and this will only be of interest to tech geeks, so look away now...the UK Blu-Ray bizarrely only provides a 1080i picture, whereas the rest of Europe and America gets full 1080p for their Blu-Ray. I was going to splurge on Amazon's £24.99 Steelbook Edition until I discovered that it's the same.

Basically, the picture quality isn't as good on the UK release. The American Blu-Ray is region locked so, if you fancy picking it up and you're going to be in Europe sometime soon, wait and grab a copy while you're over there. And buy me a copy of their steelbook too, please - I'm good for the money  :angel

Why dont you just ordered it from the  states and have it shipped here?

On 03/01/2020 at 11:35, BigFatTabbyDave said:

A lot of DVD and Blu-ray players have input codes to make them region free , worth googling your model.

1 hour ago, saint dave said:

A lot of DVD and Blu-ray players have input codes to make them region free , worth googling your model.

I bought an old PlayStation 3 years ago purely for using as a Blu-Ray player. Safe to say I'm hosed as far as that goes, considering Sony owns the Blu-Ray patents  :lol:

Not a big deal - eventually it'll come down in price and I'll pick up a Euro copy from eBay or wherever. I don't think the steelbook comes with anything extra, so it's a bit of a waste of money anyway.

I bought an old PlayStation 3 years ago purely for using as a Blu-Ray player. Safe to say I'm hosed as far as that goes, considering Sony owns the Blu-Ray patents  [emoji38]
Not a big deal - eventually it'll come down in price and I'll pick up a Euro copy from eBay or wherever. I don't think the steelbook comes with anything extra, so it's a bit of a waste of money anyway.
HD version available on Amazon Prime video for £9.99 if that's your thing.

17 hours ago, spud131 said:
22 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:
I bought an old PlayStation 3 years ago purely for using as a Blu-Ray player. Safe to say I'm hosed as far as that goes, considering Sony owns the Blu-Ray patents  emoji38.png

HD version available on Amazon Prime video for £9.99 if that's your thing.

Probably still only 1080i

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Missed this one amid the Covid-19 blanket  coverage...

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/06/europe/chernobyl-fire-radiation-scli-intl-scn/index.html

Thats not the Red Forest, is it? I watched a programme about that area a while ago and they said the whole thing is one massive radioactive tinderbox. Basically, because all of the animal life died, including all the worms and bugs etc, nothiing every breaks down and rots, so the whole place is full of dry dead wood and leaves .... highly radioactive, dry dead wood and leaves :o

On 07/04/2020 at 09:33, Mr X said:

Thats not the Red Forest, is it? I watched a programme about that area a while ago and they said the whole thing is one massive radioactive tinderbox. Basically, because all of the animal life died, including all the worms and bugs etc, nothiing every breaks down and rots, so the whole place is full of dry dead wood and leaves .... highly radioactive, dry dead wood and leaves :o

My bet is, it'll go up the day after the lock down is lifted.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, pub car king said:

I'm considering rewatching it just to see if it's as good as the first time, or if I'll pick holes in it. 

It is.

Loads of things.  Harris's acting. The concrete graves. Alex Ferns button mushroom.

Watch it with a soundbar or other enhanced sound system.

The makers visited a similar plant in Lithuania and recorded all of its decaying noises to make a  phenomenal soundtrack.

The courtroom scene which explains what happened using the red and blue tiles (although didn't happen in reality) is brilliant..

I've watched it through a few times. It never disappoints.

Currently resisting the temptation until I've got it on Blu-Ray. Think I'll finally make that my Christmas present for this year.

• 4 months later...
Just now, Boghead ranter said:

Anyone who enjoyed this show might want to catch 'Inside Chernobyl with Ben Fogle ' tonight at 9pm, channel 5.

I watched it the other day,  and I found it pretty interesting. 

Does he get trapped inside the really radioactive bit?