Chernobyl

Theres not much more can be said, I've just finished it and it's a truly brilliant piece of tv/film making and will stand the test of time. It's easily up there with the likes of band of brothers and is far more horrifying in a way what people will do to others just to save face.

Hopefully the follow-up programme last night - featuring folk speaking in Russian with subtitles on screen - will put an end to 'it would have been so much better if they'd been speaking in Russian or put an accent on'. Because it wasn't. 

Hopefully the follow-up programme last night - featuring folk speaking in Russian with subtitles on screen - will put an end to 'it would have been so much better if they'd been speaking in Russian or put an accent on'. Because it wasn't. 
Exactly. We all know the characters are Russian / Ukranian etc, no need to put on shite accents. See my post further up about Anthropoid.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

In the American version Sylvester Stallone and Bruce Willis parachute on to the roof in their vests before kicking the graphite back in to the reactor.

Parachute would have meant they were in the air too long. They just jumped.

14 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

In the American version Sylvester Stallone and Bruce Willis parachute on to the roof in their vests before kicking the graphite back in to the reactor.

9 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Where can I watch this?

It's called Three Mile Island. 

made up accents really are unnecessary if you aren't portraying more than one side,eg germans/allies in a war film(and even then the need for them is questionable).these were all soviet citizens,the programme was in English and the range of English accents will have portrayed the variations in their Russian accents
Couple of interesting points from the podcast. They originally did try and do some of the early auditions with a slightly vague eastern European accent, but quickly binned the idea as they felt it wasn't working. They also deliberately avoided casting American actors as they felt a Yank audience would struggle with the concept of a Russian speaking with an American accent. I hadn't even given it a thought that there were no Americans in it tbh.