Chernobyl

The whole “every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth” scene is one of the best scenes I have ever seen in any tv show.

The part where they were clearing the roof with the sound of the Geiger counter going mental was outstanding too.

Just an amazing series from start to finish.

made up accents really are unnecessary if you aren't portraying more than one side,eg germans/allies in a war film(and even then the need for them is questionable).these were all soviet citizens,the programme was in English and the range of English accents will have portrayed the variations in their Russian accents

Worst example of this I've seen in the last few years was Anthropoid with shite Czech and German accents aplenty. I would much rather they just used their normal voice, I'm intelligent enough (I think!) to be able to figure out what characters were the Czech resistance and what ones were the Nazis. The uniforms were a bit of a giveaway tbh.

After reading some of the comments on here decided to download this. What an absolute cracker of a series. It gripped you from start to finish even although you roughly knew some of the story.  This series must wipe the boards when the awards come along.  Great acting and it clearly portrayed the horror that was going on.  The last episode was just superb.

Watched episode 4 there. Shooting the puppies man jesus.
The podcast talks about a scene that they filmed but did not use. One of the puppies was not quite dead and started to bark when they were pouring the concrete but they did not have any ammunition left to finish it off.

Outstanding television, up there with band of brothers as the best mini-series I’ve ever seen.

Read a review of the programme where they spoke about the accents. They’re all speaking English anyway, so what would be the point in putting on shite Soviet accents? Also, the main characters are from various regions of the Soviet Union, so spoken languages and accents would all differ. It’s perfectly fine the way it is.

2 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Outstanding television, up there with band of brothers as the best mini-series I’ve ever seen.

Read a review of the programme where they spoke about the accents. They’re all speaking English anyway, so what would be the point in putting on shite Soviet accents? Also, the main characters are from various regions of the Soviet Union, so spoken languages and accents would all differ. It’s perfectly fine the way it is.

A guy at my work says that it ruins the whole show that they aren't speaking Russian.  My counter argument of people would be criticising the show for terrible accents has been ignored!

23 hours ago, Moonglum25 said:

After reading some of the comments on here decided to download this. What an absolute cracker of a series. It gripped you from start to finish even although you roughly knew some of the story.  This series must wipe the boards when the awards come along.  Great acting and it clearly portrayed the horror that was going on.  The last episode was just superb.

Yep.  I expect Jared Harris to get the Golden Globe and the Emmy for his performance in it.  Basically an Oscar winning performance too, if it was a film.

2 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

A guy at my work says that it ruins the whole show that they aren't speaking Russian.  My counter argument of people would be criticising the show for terrible accents has been ignored!

I bet he feels cheated that the actors are only pretending to be dying of radiation poisoning. Would he have preferred it to be filmed in the actual location?

I felt at the start a brief disappointment that it wasn't in Russian and subtitled but that very, very quickly changed.
Finished it yesterday and can't really add anything else to what has been said. Incredible television.

Always had a passing interest in the disaster and had read about it and obviously seen the photos, especially of the deserted Pripyat. Seeing it played out in a drama really brought it to life though and it's great that some of the individual stories are being shown to global audience. 

Maybe this is covered in the podcasts, which I haven't listened to yet, but I imagine it's a hard call on whether to go with subtitles or Western actors and then what to do with accents. I'd guess that even in a freer Russia, it might have been hard to recruit the actors required for the former? I'd maybe have preferred accents but really, there is no logical reason why, is there? 

For all the human suffering was immense, I found episode four with the dogs the most bleak. I'd possibly have preferred my 90 seconds on the roof.

3 hours ago, Radford said:

I'd possibly have preferred my 90 seconds on the roof.

The volunteer who got his foot stuck under the graphite on the roof...  did we see what happened to him after the event?  The burning of rubber at the toes was hugely ominous in the way that the fireman picking up the graphite in the first episode was.  I suppose that we were to be left with our own assumption.

The podcast is hugely recommended for those who haven't listened yet.

ETA: On the Russian accent thing, it never occurred to me after the opening scenes.  The Death of Stalin is brilliant - in a completely different way -  but the actors didn't put on Russian accents for that either.

Edited by bunglebonce

The biorobots might of had a slightly better survival chance than the rest. As once their 90 seconds on the roof was done they left the exclusion zone never to return.

The biorobots might of had a slightly better survival chance than the rest. As once their 90 seconds on the roof was done they left the exclusion zone never to return.
Except for the guy who got his foot caught in the graphite. He toast, possibly quite literally.

I think I read somewhere that many had a second go just for the extra money. So many were used it'd be hard to keep track.