Chernobyl

32 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Anyone who enjoyed this show might want to catch 'Inside Chernobyl with Ben Fogle ' tonight at 9pm, channel 5.

I watched it the other day,  and I found it pretty interesting. 

I'm expecting it to be not great, but not terrible either.

• 5 months later...

A workmate recommended this to me. I'd remembered seeing it advertised at the time but paid it no more mind. Saw the DVD in Tesco and decided to try it out.

Fucking hell. Absolutely outstanding. Watched the whole thing either side of a night's kip and have started watching it again with my son. Will never tire of this and am now downloading the podcasts.

Some genuinely chilling scenes - imagine being told to go up onto the roof and shovel radioactive bricks for no more than 90 seconds. That whole section from Legasov interrupting the first meeting up to the point where the plant managers were arrested was fantastic. The trial, with its flashback scenes, was excellent.

No being clued up on actors, I kept thinking "That Legasov's voice is really familiar" - until I looked up Jared Harris and saw who his dad was. 

Funny to think that this was Stellan Skarsgard and Emily Watson's first feature together since that mad shagging film they did that was set in the Highlands.

A workmate recommended this to me. I'd remembered seeing it advertised at the time but paid it no more mind. Saw the DVD in Tesco and decided to try it out.
Fucking hell. Absolutely outstanding. Watched the whole thing either side of a night's kip and have started watching it again with my son. Will never tire of this and am now downloading the podcasts.
Some genuinely chilling scenes - imagine being told to go up onto the roof and shovel radioactive bricks for no more than 90 seconds. That whole section from Legasov interrupting the first meeting up to the point where the plant managers were arrested was fantastic. The trial, with its flashback scenes, was excellent.
No being clued up on actors, I kept thinking "That Legasov's voice is really familiar" - until I looked up Jared Harris and saw who his dad was. 
Funny to think that this was Stellan Skarsgard and Emily Watson's first feature together since that mad shagging film they did that was set in the Highlands.
The podcasts are excellent. They give a lot more background info and explain which parts are absolutely real and which were adapted for the show.

I watched it all again last week.

It's stunning from start to finish; the acting, the script, the direction, the attention to detail....the makeup 🤮

Even the soundtrack...in using the similar RBMK reactor in Lithuania they used all the creaks, moans and grunts of the decaying building as samples.

We know that Emily Watson's character was an amalgam of several real scientists and that Legasov didn't give evidence at the show trial but those elements are entirely forgivable in making such a brilliant dramatic depiction.