Chernobyl

Guest Moomintroll
Just watched the first episode and don't think it's living up to the hype. I'm going to stick with it in the hope it's a slow burner. 
It went up pretty quicky iirc.

36 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Just watched the first episode and don't think it's living up to the hype. I'm going to stick with it in the hope it's a slow burner. 

If you didn't like the first episode, the rest probably won't appeal. Still, it's only another four hours of your life if you want to try. Not like you've got another seven seasons to wade through.

Maybe give it a go at another time. I know I've seen some classic stuff and didn't think much of it on first viewing due to the mood I was in, or whatever.

51 minutes ago, the snudge said:

I thought the first episode was one of the most gripping hours of TV I've ever seen.

55 minutes ago, the snudge said:

15 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

If you didn't like the first episode, the rest probably won't appeal. Still, it's only another four hours of your life if you want to try. Not like you've got another seven seasons to wade through.

Plus, given the rate that DFC aren't signing players at, you might need something to do on the next couple of Saturdays 😉

• 4 weeks later...

An apparent trailer of a Russian drama about the Chernobyl disaster, featuring a CIA plot, has been deleted from YouTube following negative reaction.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-49121139/russian-tv-s-leaked-chernobyl-drama-features-cia-plot

Russia 😂😂

5 hours ago, ajwffc said:

I really want to watch it

Been thinking the same since it was announced. It sounds tremendous value.

I'm hoping they rope in some other patsies too, like the Aussies selling them some uranium that was past its sell-by date, or Thatcher distracting the plant employees by having copies of Razzle scattered around the plant.

• 2 weeks later...

'Brief radiation spike' after rocket engine blast in northern Russia

The ministry said radiation levels were normal but the city of Severodvinsk registered a "brief spike" in levels.

An area of the White Sea nearby has reportedly been closed for a month.

But the deputy head of Archangelsk port, Sergei Kozub, told the BBC the closure was planned before the accident.

Radiation levels peaked between 11:50 and 12:30 (08:50-09:30 GMT) before falling and normalising by 14:00, the city administration in Severodvinsk said on its website, without reporting how significant the spike had been.

It is unclear what could have caused radiation levels to rise.

Local people were reportedly urged to take precautions against radiation. No increase in ambulance call-outs was recorded, the administration added.

A woman in Severodvinsk named only Alina told Russian news site lenta.ru: "I work in the hospital where they're bringing the injured.

"They advise everyone to close their windows and drink iodine, 44 drops per glass of water."

The ministry said radiation levels were normal

Is that so comrade?

8 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

In this age of Twitter, Facebook etc., if another nuclear explosion on a similar scale to Chernobyl was to happen in Russia nowadays, I wonder if the Russian government would even try to suppress information and stop the true scale getting reported. 

23 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

In this age of Twitter, Facebook etc., if another nuclear explosion on a similar scale to Chernobyl was to happen in Russia nowadays, I wonder if the Russian government would even try to suppress information and stop the true scale getting reported. 

They'd easily be able to do so. I'd wager it'd be more likely to be North Korea that something happens in nuclear wise next, and it'll be even less well known than Chernobyl IMO.

If it was in/near a closed city they would be able to keep it quiet internally. But it would be worldwide news in a day or two.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

They'd easily be able to do so. I'd wager it'd be more likely to be North Korea that something happens in nuclear wise next, and it'll be even less well known than Chernobyl IMO.

You could be right about NK, but I would find it hard to believe any other country could have an explosion on the scale of Chernobyl and there not to be any footage, as well as Twitter posts from people being evacuated etc. 

24 minutes ago, ajwffc said:
53 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

If it was in/near a closed city they would be able to keep it quiet internally. But it would be worldwide news in a day or two.

It’s a scary thought tbh. If an explosion on the scale of Chernobyl was allowed to happen as recently as the 1980s there’s no reason it can’t happen again (obviously). We believe we are the most technologically advanced we have ever been and I’m sure the safety procedures nowadays are numerous, but I bet they thought the same in 1986. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...