Chernobyl

Russia to make its own show about Chernobyl that implicates the US
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48559289

Russian state TV is working on its own version of Chernobyl, a series based on the worst nuclear accident in history.
The NTV drama will deviate from the acclaimed HBO series - and from historical reality - by claiming that the CIA was involved in the disaster.
"There is a theory that Americans infiltrated the Chernobyl nuclear power plant," he told the paper. "Many historians do not rule out the possibility that on the day of the explosion, an agent of the enemy's intelligence services was working at the station."

FFS, nothing has changed. Just like they did when they shot down a Dutch airliner over Ukraine, they lie and obfuscate. 

Yup. Soviet/Russian media is quite the nefarious state operation. I linked to the RT review earlier in the thread. Guess what it criticises the series for? Factual inaccuracy. And, lest we ever forget, day trips to Salisbury cathedral.

On 10/06/2019 at 12:42, Radford said:

Always had a passing interest in the disaster and had read about it and obviously seen the photos, especially of the deserted Pripyat. Seeing it played out in a drama really brought it to life though and it's great that some of the individual stories are being shown to global audience. 

Maybe this is covered in the podcasts, which I haven't listened to yet, but I imagine it's a hard call on whether to go with subtitles or Western actors and then what to do with accents. I'd guess that even in a freer Russia, it might have been hard to recruit the actors required for the former? I'd maybe have preferred accents but really, there is no logical reason why, is there? 

For all the human suffering was immense, I found episode four with the dogs the most bleak. I'd possibly have preferred my 90 seconds on the roof.

It is covered in the podcasts. Im not sure hiring Russian actors was ever considered, but they talk about the accents. They also talk about using "comrade" a lot

Cant really add to what others have said, an absolutely fantastic piece of television from start to finish.

Again, as others have said, the podcasts are pretty much compulsory listening if you enjoyed the show.

Edited by Mr X

It is covered in the podcasts. Im not sure hiring Russian actors was ever considered, but they talk about the accents. They also talk about using "comrade" a lot
Cant really add to what others have said, an absolutely fantastic piece of television from start to finish.
Again, as others have said, the podcasts are pretty much compulsory listening if you enjoyed the show.

You can actually see some scenes which were shot early with minor characters who do play with a vague eastern European accent. As you say, it’s explained in the first podcast.

Must join in with everybody else who has recommended the podcasts.  Downloaded them yesterday and on to the last one already.  Really interesting and I enjoyed hearing what actually happened and what was made up.

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 21:42, Alert Mongoose said:

Would also recommend the River Monsters episode where Jeremy Wade fishes for mutant catfish in the cooling ponds.  It has some Chernobyl info but mainly because River Monsters is superb. 

Spoil it. What were the mutant fish like?

Watched the last episode last night.  An absolutely fabulous series, pretty much flawless.  I wonder if Legasov's testimony in the trial is what ultimately stopped them putting a bullet in Bryukhanov, Dyatlov and Fomins' heads?

Everyone in it was superb, but Jared Harris delivering the evidence in the trial was just superb.  Him explaining why their reactors were built that way to the Judges was pitch perfect.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

2 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Watched the last episode last night.  An absolutely fabulous series, pretty much flawless.  I wonder if Legasov's testimony in the trial is what ultimately stopped them putting a bullet in Bryukhanov, Dyatlov and Fomins' heads?

Everyone in it was superb, but Jared Harris delivering the evidence in the trial was just superb.  Him explaining why their reactors were built that way to the Judges was pitch perfect.

Legasov didn't appear at the trial, it was probably the biggest deviation from what really happened.  According to Craig Mazin on the podcast, the trial itself was very boring, and he used it as a device to explain to the viewer what had actually happened.  It was also too difficult to introduce multiple new characters for the purpose of the trial.  Though I suppose Khomyuk being at the trial does cover that in some regard, being a fictional character to represent the wider scientific community.

Just now, WullieBroonIsGod said:

Legasov didn't appear at the trial, it was probably the biggest deviation from what really happened.  According to Craig Mazin on the podcast, the trial itself was very boring, and he used it as a device to explain to the viewer what had actually happened.  It was also too difficult to introduce multiple new characters for the purpose of the trial.  Though I suppose Khomyuk being at the trial does cover that in some regard, being a fictional character to represent the wider scientific community.

Ah, I've not listened to the last podcast yet, so wasn't aware that he wasn't at the trial.

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

Ah, I've not listened to the last podcast yet, so wasn't aware that he wasn't at the trial.

It's probably the best podcast in terms of "did that really happen?" as it seems to be where the writer has been most creative in his script.  It is curious though, why they never got the bullet so to speak.

Writer nailed it though I thought.  Outstanding final episode.  

1 minute ago, WullieBroonIsGod said:

It's probably the best podcast in terms of "did that really happen?" as it seems to be where the writer has been most creative in his script.  It is curious though, why they never got the bullet so to speak.

Writer nailed it though I thought.  Outstanding final episode.  

The most astonishing thing for me at the end was them telling you that Fomin went back to working in a Nuclear Power Station after he got out!