Chernobyl

His boot was torn open and in direct contact with graphite for several seconds, he’s a goner.
The rubber parts of the boot(and the rest of the suit) was an extra layer to keep radioactive particles out. So he probably did not make much direct contact with the graphite but his extra time and slight look over the edge would not help him.

3 hours ago, Red 'N Yellow said:

His boot was torn open and in direct contact with graphite for several seconds, he’s a goner.

I would have thought that even without the cut boot he's be a goner, given those extra few seconds.  Especially when you think about how many of those liquidators died anyway.  I read somewhere that cancer rates among the liquidators was four times that of the general population.

18 minutes ago, Fide said:

I would have thought that even without the cut boot he's be a goner, given those extra few seconds.  Especially when you think about how many of those liquidators died anyway.  I read somewhere that cancer rates among the liquidators was four times that of the general population.

According to some studies the only reason that the liquidators showed a higher cancer rate is that they were tested more than the general population. With the WHO estimating that about 4000 people will die as a direct result of radiation exposure (some have that number as anything upto 93000). 

Threads is superb but in terms of bleakness, it's hard to beat "When the Wind Blows". Its a cartoon drawn by the guy who did the Snowman and Father Christmas about two old folk preparing for a nuclear war following the "Protect and Survive" government information films (which are also worth a watch for the scariness of them). Still have this series saved on my Sky planner though, was planning on binging but it sounds like it's a bit too intense for that?

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Still have this series saved on my Sky planner though, was planning on binging but it sounds like it's a bit too intense for that?

Nah, you'll be fine.  I'm actually kinda jealous that I don't have the ability to binge watch it.

Set aside and afternoon or evening, and just watch all 5 back to back, it's gripping enough that it will hold your attention for the entire time.

My favourite aspect has been seeing the change in the Charles Green-alike military guy - at first he was the epitome of the communist state ethos, but he's grown to like and respect Legazov(?) so much, he's now more frustrated at the system than any of the scientists have ever been.  "We need a new phone" :lol:

Edited by Boghead ranter

59 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Nah, you'll be fine.  I'm actually kinda jealous that I don't have the ability to binge watch it.

Set aside and afternoon or evening, and just watch all 5 back to back, it's gripping enough that it will hold your attention for the entire time.

My favourite aspect has been seeing the change in the Charles Green-alike military guy - at first he was the epitome of the communist state ethos, but he's grown to like and respect Legazov(?) so much, he's now more frustrated at the system than any of the scientists have ever been.  "We need a new phone" :lol:

That line 'wee need a new phone' was delivered with such deadpan expression. It was excellent. 

4 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Threads is superb but in terms of bleakness, it's hard to beat "When the Wind Blows". Its a cartoon drawn by the guy who did the Snowman and Father Christmas about two old folk preparing for a nuclear war following the "Protect and Survive" government information films (which are also worth a watch for the scariness of them). Still have this series saved on my Sky planner though, was planning on binging but it sounds like it's a bit too intense for that?

Threads was Britain's answer to the American TV movie The Day After which was fairly lightweight in comparison.

Agreed about When the Wind Blows - John Mills and Peggy Ashcroft did the voices; the old couple are treating a nuclear attack as being like the Blitz all over again - they'll come through okay as long as they keep a stiff upper lip.

That line 'wee need a new phone' was delivered with such deadpan expression. It was excellent. 

The few brief moments of humour, possibly totalling 30 seconds across the 4 episodes so far, have been very well done.

I remembered today that right at the start of Episode 1 it showed Dyatlov walking across the bridge in the building and the windows had been shattered with the explosion and you see him looking at the graphite and just carrying on as if he didn’t see it.

45 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

The few brief moments of humour, possibly totalling 30 seconds across the 4 episodes so far, have been very well done.

I remembered today that right at the start of Episode 1 it showed Dyatlov walking across the bridge in the building and the windows had been shattered with the explosion and you see him looking at the graphite and just carrying on as if he didn’t see it.

Yep, I think Dyatlov went into denial mode almost straight away and stayed there for the rest of his life.  From reading about him and listening to the podcasts, it seems that  he became obsessed after the Siberian submarine incident - an accident led to him being exposed to a near fatal dose of radiation, which arguably led to the death of his son, who died of leukemia from suspected exposure to radiation on Dyatlov's clothing.  He seemed to almost embark on a personal vandetta against the atom, which may have lead him to risk pushing Reactor No. 4 to the brink and beyond.

Fascinating, but ultimately grim stuff.

One up the uranium, no hard done!

Edit - Also, did anyone spot this Peep Show legend in this weeks episode?

image.jpeg.1fecc48ce1ea8460e950f09d41f428a1.jpeg

Edited by TheScarf

Guest Moomintroll
That cartoon haunted me for years. Bleak as f**k & utterly poignant.