Chernobyl

7 hours ago, ajwffc said:

The programme so far is really well made(apart from one of the actors accent in first 2 episodes). The wife of the dead fireman is a wid. Also am I the only one that wants to go visit Pripyat?

There's a Cowden fan who weirdly enough was visiting Chernobyl this week.  Having never really thought about it I started watching this show on Sunday and then sat going through his photos yesterday.  Incredible place that I want to go see myself now.

Excellent episode last night.  As mentioned by somebody earlier the poor b*****ds in the hospital. My wife and I could only sit in silence when you saw the guy basically gone.  The ending of the concrete filling the graves was such a powerful way to end the episode.

19 hours ago, ajwffc said:

The programme so far is really well made(apart from one of the actors accent in first 2 episodes). The wife of the dead fireman is a wid. Also am I the only one that wants to go visit Pripyat?

Pripyat Bovril Pub Crawl?

The guy that made the show is active on the Chernobyl Reddit subs, username clmazin . Pretty interesting stuff from him about the episodes and everything else about the show. Like how in epsiode two when Valery was at the bar in the hotel and the couple asked him if they were safe, they were KGB officers.

The guy that made the show is active on the Chernobyl Reddit subs, username clmazin . Pretty interesting stuff from him about the episodes and everything else about the show. Like how in epsiode two when Valery was at the bar in the hotel and the couple asked him if they were safe, they were KGB officers.
They told you that in episode three. That's why they went for a walk because they knew the flat was probably bugged. The same couple followed them and made it obvious they were there.
Its arguably this type of paranoia and fear that partly led to the issues with the safety test and not wanting to step out of line of someone senior.
Locking up the female scientist was madness also she pretty much prevented a much bigger accident by calling BS on the everything is fine cover up.

Been watching with the missus. Literal nightmare fuel.

I've been interested in the Chernobyl disaster since it happened, and the most eye-opening part for me has been seeing the bureaucracy play out. It's terrifying to think that something so potentially destructive can be in the hands of a system where the appearance of order and control is paramount over all else; where arbitrary decisions are made by people with no knowledge of the field; where experts can see the disaster coming, but know that speaking out will see them punished, and will likely change nothing; where people can be sent to their deaths because nobody wants to admit that the unthinkable has occurred. Presumably the final episodes will get into the design flaws of the reactors used at Chernobyl (eleven of which are still in operation across the former Soviet Union) and the rush to expand nuclear power in the USSR. A flashback to the lead-up would be nice too.

We can hardly point fingers at the Soviets, considering the cover-up surrounding Windscale decades before. I wonder how a nuclear meltdown would be covered today, particularly in America. The internet would be ablaze with "false flag" conspiracy theorists, attacking the relatives of the dead as fraudsters, with a president who'd downplay the severity of radiation and nuclear fallout with all his might, labelling reports by scientists (and the general concept of expertise) as "fake news".

Oh, and the soundtrack's excellent too.

On 5/17/2019 at 06:43, Jimmy Shaker said:

So are those three men still alive, did they survive their experience or not? Some sources say yes, others - like the one above - say they died immediately afterwards.

From looking around it seems they're still alive tbf. 

The difference in outcome for those exposed was quite remarkable. There were workers in Building 4 who survived despite being subject to the same level of radiation as colleagues who were dead within days. Dyatlov himself, the arsehole with the 'tache, survived for a decade and died of unrelated heart failure, and he was exposed to the same radioactive material in the air that killed other senior technicians in the control room. You'd imagine the survivors have been subject to a lot of study to try and ascertain what made them more physically resistant...even if just to create radiation-resistant combat troops.

I already knew about this due to the lengthy coverage of the delayed sarcophagus construction, but one of the facts I've always found most startling is that the other reactors at Chernobyl stayed in use due to the lack of replacement power capacity in Ukraine. Reactor 3, the one closest to the disaster site, was operational until the year 2000. Imagine being their Health & Safety Officer.

12 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The difference in outcome for those exposed was quite remarkable. There were workers in Building 4 who survived despite being subject to the same level of radiation as colleagues who were dead within days. Dyatlov himself, the arsehole with the 'tache, survived for a decade and died of unrelated heart failure, and he was exposed to the same radioactive material in the air that killed other senior technicians in the control room. You'd imagine the survivors have been subject to a lot of study to try and ascertain what made them more physically resistant...even if just to create radiation-resistant combat troops.

I already knew about this due to the lengthy coverage of the delayed sarcophagus construction, but one of the facts I've always found most startling is that the other reactors at Chernobyl stayed in use due to the lack of replacement power capacity in Ukraine. Reactor 3, the one closest to the disaster site, was operational until the year 2000. Imagine being their Health & Safety Officer.

If you go back to the episode where they were describing how a nuclear reactor works remember they said it's luck that the atoms hit each other so the do various science things to make them hit each other.  Basically millions of bullets going off in all directions.  This reminded me of something my Chemistry teacher said at school which was basically if you are exposed to radiation it's basically luck on what cells in your body get hit to determine how you get on.  The stronger the dose the bigger the risk but there is still an element of luck involved.

12 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The difference in outcome for those exposed was quite remarkable. There were workers in Building 4 who survived despite being subject to the same level of radiation as colleagues who were dead within days. Dyatlov himself, the arsehole with the 'tache, survived for a decade and died of unrelated heart failure, and he was exposed to the same radioactive material in the air that killed other senior technicians in the control room.

According to the podcast that goes along with the series (highly recommend btw) Dyatlov had a role in the construction of Nuclear subs near Siberia, where there was an incident where he supposedly received a near fatal dose of radiation....he was also cleared of any wrongdoing in that incident btw.

Dyatlov also had a son who  died of Leukaemia aged 10, it appears to be the case that the son developed Leukaemia shortly after his incident with the Nuclear sub although it's unclear if there's any connection.