Chernobyl

52 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

So are those three men still alive, did they survive their experience or not? Some sources say yes, others - like the one above - say they died immediately afterwards.

I think the general consensus is that they all died within a few weeks of their mission.

2 hours ago, Fide said:

Pretty accurate, as it turns out.

http://chtoa.org/en/unsung-heroes-of-chernobyl-three-men-laid-their-lives-for-milion-of-others/

Couldn't agree more.  Probably three of the most important men in recent human history, yet that's the first I'd heard about them.  Alexei Ananenko,  Valeri Bezpalov and Boris Baranov.  Three names that should be national heroes all over Europe.  If not for them, pretty much the whole of Eastern and Southern Europe would be fucked.

SPOILER!  We don;t know if they managed to open the sluices and empty the tanks yet! ;)

2 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

SPOILER!  We don;t know if they managed to open the sluices and empty the tanks yet! ;)

A boy in my work did likewise!  We were talking about episode 1 last week and he says "eh, no spoilers please, I haven't seen it yet!"

:blink::1eye

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

You say this as a joke, but I was watching this with my burd last night and she genuinely said at the end of the second episode "Awww fuuuuck I wonder if they make it".

Watched the 2 episodes yesterday and absolutely loved it.  Incredible what those 3 men did and almost as incredible how slow they actually were to actually try and do something about it!

Another great episode. With all the obvious horrible stuff I laughed at the miners attitude to it all. 

“Are they all like that” 

:lol:

The self sacrifice from Russians needs more recognition. According to Wikipedia 10% of the liquidators died or ended up disabled. That’s 60,000 people. 

Chilling scene at the end, sealing the coffins in lead caskets then pouring concrete into the mass grave. [emoji33]

Just gonna watch this weeks episode now before I see any more info!

The story of Chernobyl has always fascinated me since I was a kid. Really enjoying this show in a really morbid way. Superbly done emphasised by how dark as f**k it is.

The programme so far is really well made(apart from one of the actors accent in first 2 episodes). The wife of the dead fireman is a wid. Also am I the only one that wants to go visit Pripyat?