Chernobyl

There was a really good one on the BBC about ten years ago, a docu drama type thing, in the style of most WW2 films the main characters all spoke English, bizzarely Adrian Edmondson of The Young Ones played the main scientist leading the investigation.

Edited by Flybhoy

• 1 month later...

Did anyone see this?  Absolutely fascinating first episode.  The senior management basically spent the first few hours in denial while the workers and firefighters were exposed to massive doses of radiation.

Some really hard hitting scenes including one where the residents of Pripyat gathered on a bridge to look at what was happening and the kids of the town were dancing in radioactive "snow".

Brilliant stuff.

On 25/03/2019 at 00:35, Flybhoy said:

There was a really good one on the BBC about ten years ago, a docu drama type thing, in the style of most WW2 films the main characters all spoke English, bizzarely Adrian Edmondson of The Young Ones played the main scientist leading the investigation.

Cheers for that.  I'll probably watch it too, but it struck me that a documentary would be a better way of presenting things.

Cheers for that.  I'll probably watch it too, but it struck me that a documentary would be a better way of presenting things.
We show that in school. It's really good and Edmonson is actually excellent. There's a wee bit about three quarters of the way through that always brings a lump to the throat.

We show that in school. It's really good and Edmonson is actually excellent. There's a wee bit about three quarters of the way through that always brings a lump to the throat.

Take it that’s not an intentional pun?

On 09/05/2019 at 07:50, Fide said:

Did anyone see this?  Absolutely fascinating first episode.  The senior management basically spent the first few hours in denial while the workers and firefighters were exposed to massive doses of radiation.

Some really hard hitting scenes including one where the residents of Pripyat gathered on a bridge to look at what was happening and the kids of the town were dancing in radioactive "snow".

Brilliant stuff.

Watched it last night, quite enjoyed it. I do think I'd prefer it was Ukrainian/Russian actors with subtitles, I think programs lose some realism when they just use English.  I don't know how accurate the story is in regards to how orders were dished out, but for me it highlighted how unsettling communism is. Folk with very real concerns backed up by evidence to be completely ignored because the state has said it's under control. Looking forward to the rest though.

Great performance from the dad from Friday night dinner. Scariest thing for me was just how unprepared they were for a disaster.

You saw it with 9/11 though people just want to help without thinking of their own safety first.

Really enjoyed that.

The geiger counter burnt out.

They must have sent us a defective one

We used another one.  It maxed out.

Also defective.

I saw graphite lying around on my way in. The core must have exploded.

You are mistaken. You didn't see that at all. How can a core explode? Explain it!

Then they send the guy on a suicide mission to look at the core. Suicide and he knew it.

Those three guys should be household names, as important as landing on the moon. If not more so.

Ukraine and other countries uninhabitable for hundreds of years. That’s arguably worse than the world wars.

Its insane that nuclear reactors were even considered.