Sons v Warriors - Relegation Bonanza

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, autopsy time.

I'll start by saying that I thought Stenhousemuir were everything we weren't today. They took absolutely no chances at all defensively, worked themselves into the ground and won pretty much every single 50/50. It might not have been pretty (mild understatement), but they more than deserved all three points. Colin McMenamin said post-match that he'd stressed the importance of Conor McBrearty putting Forbes onto his right foot, and it was that almost single-handedly that won them the game. I thought he was superb in stifling any creativity we had - then he pops up at the other end to score one of the slowest goals I've ever seen. And I watched Dennis Wyness play for us.

I say it every week, but all our problems come from midfield. Sure Adam doesn't instil confidence in his back four, sure Thomson was playing out of position, sure Mango hasn't been his dominant self since returning, sure DT (who missed a golden early chance) and Calum Gallagher were off the pace today, but almost all of that can be linked to our midfield issues. Put simply the balance is appalling. Hutton clearly isn't fit and Forbes cannot play in the middle of a two. Every time Adam clears it they're both too deep to collect a second ball, and every time Stenhousemuir launched it they were both caught underneath the ball. They offer the defence very little protection and neither of them has the pace to burst forward. Our only good passage of play from the centre of the park today came when DT drove forward with it - which was Sam Stanton-esque. 

That shouldn't detract from the other issues though. It looked to me like Adam maybe could've saved the second, and his mental moment in the first-half did little for the health of my heart. The only positive was that he wasn't the trialist sub, because Jesus Christ did he look garbage in the warmup.

Mango and Thomson did ok, especially dealing with McGuigan, but both were poor for the second goal. There'll be people on here with more knowledge than me, but surely defenders are always told to show players wide? The two of them basically funnelled McBrearty straight down the middle, with neither knowing whether or not to try and tackle him. It looked like a dreadful bit of defending. Not that, that excuses Forbes in any way for wanting far too much time on the ball in the middle of the park, and taking a daft risk.

Everyone's torn into Michael Paton, so I'll chuck in something too. I really thought that his smashing early cross for Bobby Barr might give him a lift. It might remind him that he's a decent player, and play a part in getting his confidence up...But it didn't. I don't think anything summed him up more than losing a high ball to Ruaridh Donaldson, claiming for something and then feeling his hamstring. He looks like he's absolutely hating playing for us and would rather be anywhere else. I'd have far rather seen Ben Armour or even Beany out there today.

Not that it needs pointing out again, but we've got some serious issues and it does feel as if everything's point towards relegation. Carsy should be back for the Airdrie game, which is a boost, and I'd be keen to start him in central-midfield with Thomson or McLean (if he's fit) at centre-back because we simply cannot produce a performance without him. That aside though I'm not sure what can be done - too many players look like they couldn't really care less today, and that irked me a lot given the magnitude of the match.

Massive reaction needed in our next two games. Lose them both (or even draw them both) and we'll be in a horrific position. 

27 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Carsy should be back for the Airdrie game, which is a boost, and I'd be keen to start him in central-midfield with Thomson or McLean (if he's fit) at centre-back because we simply cannot produce a performance without him.

Any word on what was up with Carswell?

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

Right, autopsy time.

I'll start by saying that I thought Stenhousemuir were everything we weren't today. They took absolutely no chances at all defensively, worked themselves into the ground and won pretty much every single 50/50. It might not have been pretty (mild understatement), but they more than deserved all three points. Colin McMenamin said post-match that he'd stressed the importance of Conor McBrearty putting Forbes onto his right foot, and it was that almost single-handedly that won them the game. I thought he was superb in stifling any creativity we had - then he pops up at the other end to score one of the slowest goals I've ever seen. And I watched Dennis Wyness play for us.

I say it every week, but all our problems come from midfield. Sure Adam doesn't instil confidence in his back four, sure Thomson was playing out of position, sure Mango hasn't been his dominant self since returning, sure DT (who missed a golden early chance) and Calum Gallagher were off the pace today, but almost all of that can be linked to our midfield issues. Put simply the balance is appalling. Hutton clearly isn't fit and Forbes cannot play in the middle of a two. Every time Adam clears it they're both too deep to collect a second ball, and every time Stenhousemuir launched it they were both caught underneath the ball. They offer the defence very little protection and neither of them has the pace to burst forward. Our only good passage of play from the centre of the park today came when DT drove forward with it - which was Sam Stanton-esque. 

That shouldn't detract from the other issues though. It looked to me like Adam maybe could've saved the second, and his mental moment in the first-half did little for the health of my heart. The only positive was that he wasn't the trialist sub, because Jesus Christ did he look garbage in the warmup.

Mango and Thomson did ok, especially dealing with McGuigan, but both were poor for the second goal. There'll be people on here with more knowledge than me, but surely defenders are always told to show players wide? The two of them basically funnelled McBrearty straight down the middle, with neither knowing whether or not to try and tackle him. It looked like a dreadful bit of defending. Not that, that excuses Forbes in any way for wanting far too much time on the ball in the middle of the park, and taking a daft risk.

Everyone's torn into Michael Paton, so I'll chuck in something too. I really thought that his smashing early cross for Bobby Barr might give him a lift. It might remind him that he's a decent player, and play a part in getting his confidence up...But it didn't. I don't think anything summed him up more than losing a high ball to Ruaridh Donaldson, claiming for something and then feeling his hamstring. He looks like he's absolutely hating playing for us and would rather be anywhere else. I'd have far rather seen Ben Armour or even Beany out there today.

Not that it needs pointing out again, but we've got some serious issues and it does feel as if everything's point towards relegation. Carsy should be back for the Airdrie game, which is a boost, and I'd be keen to start him in central-midfield with Thomson or McLean (if he's fit) at centre-back because we simply cannot produce a performance without him. That aside though I'm not sure what can be done - too many players look like they couldn't really care less today, and that irked me a lot given the magnitude of the match.

Massive reaction needed in our next two games. Lose them both (or even draw them both) and we'll be in a horrific position. 

Can't argue with that, but ability and organisation aside, or the lack of it, I've highlighted your comment above because the collective body language and general team spirit seems to be woeful right now.  And in the case of one particular player, I think it's high time the Manager took him aside and asked him to desist from repeatedly mouthing off at all and sundry whilst flailing his arms, and to concentrate on whatever he is supposed to be doing.

That was woeful.

I know we're up against it with our injury problems. We've struggled with those all season. The minimum I ask is that whatever combination of players we eventually come up with then those players compete and show some professional pride. I don't need them to kiss the badge and profess their love for the club. I need them to try their bollocks off, if for no other reason than that they have a bit of self respect and professional pride.

Stenny are pish but they showed far more effort, professional pride and basic desire than we did. Regardless of the result? That's never acceptable.

I'd give Boris a start on Tuesday - at least he looked up for it when he came on.  Doesn't mind going up for headers and for a guy his height does quite well to compete for them.  He's a little stronger on and off the ball than Gallagher too. 

Win against Airdrie and this result isn't quite as bad.  Big ask though and I'm fearing the worst again. 

Paton can get to f**k.

Good highlights, well in Cammy!

It's a bit daft to complain about a vital win over your relegation rivals but dearie me, the number of times Graeme Smith pushed straightforward-looking shots right back into the middle of his penalty box! We were lucky Dumbarton didn't take advantage - the one towards the end of the match where the rebound landed at the feet of (I think) Boris Melingui could have been a killer. A good stop to turn it past the post, but still.

3 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Good highlights, well in Cammy!

It's a bit daft to complain about a vital win over your relegation rivals but dearie me, the number of times Graeme Smith pushed straightforward-looking shots right back into the middle of his penalty box! We were lucky Dumbarton didn't take advantage - the one towards the end of the match where the rebound landed at the feet of (I think) Boris Melingui could have been a killer. A good stop to turn it past the post, but still.

Cheers Craig.

Thought similar about Smith knocking it straigh back out. There was a few times yesterday that he should have done better, think twice Munro cleared it and the other was the one he tipped around the post. He's made a few mistakes recently, his poor goal kick earlier in the game, albeit he stopped Thomas from scoring, he should have done better.

Speaking of Munro, he has been brilliant since signing and was vital for us winning yesterday. Glad that he signed an 18 month contract and should be given the captain role next season, if Ferry retires or leaves. Hopefully keep Marsh as well, completely different player than he was before he left us last year. Not too bothered about Neill, he will offers from other clubs, if he stays good, if not, not fussed. 

Archived