Sons v Warriors - Relegation Bonanza

Felt like I needed to start this thread because this is actually a moderately notable game for me. 11 years ago I started keeping track of home many Sons games I went to (proof that I was a very sad and lonely child) and the first match on my list was a 2-1 defeat to Stenhousemuir in August 2008. 

Assuming it goes ahead this Saturday will be the 400th game since I started counting. It therefore seems quite nice that it's against the Warriors - although a different result this time would be ideal. 

It goes without saying that this is absolutely huge for both teams. A Sons win would set us up nicely for a vital run of home games, whilst a Stenhousemuir success would see them drag Sons into real bother and give them a great chance of survival.

The games between the teams this season have been really tight, with both teams winning one 2-1 and a 2-2 draw where Ross Forbes scored one of the greatest doubles of all time. If we're to take anything then it will be reliant on Stuart Carswell being able to play in midfield and one of Brian McLean, Ross Perry or Henk van Schaik being fit again. Personally I'd rather see McLean or Perry up against the physical duo of Mark McGuigan and Greg Hurst, but that does leave us lacking a bit of pace back there.

In every game we've played against Stenhousemuir this season our goalkeeper has made a goal costing mistake. Grant Adam was easily lobbed by Seb Ross at Ochilview in September, Chris Smith made a total mess of dealing with a high ball that lead to a penalty being conceded in November, and Smith then chucked Harry Paton's shot in early on in December. Given Adam's performance yesterday I really hope that Jim hands Conor Brennan a start. He looked decent in his only appearance against Raith Rovers last month, and Duffy's patience with Adam is surely running thin. 

That in mind I'd hope to see us go with something like this:

Conor Brennan

David Ferguson Craig Barr Brian McLean Cammy Ballantyne

Ross Forbes Stuart Carswell Kyle Hutton Bobby Barr

Dominic Thomas Calum Gallagher

I was tempted to switch the full-backs around after Ballantyne's poor performance yesterday, but given he's been pretty outstanding since moving to the left I'm not sure it's a change that's necessary. I also feel a bit form Ben Armour who showed up really well in the Arbroath game, but I'm not sure where to put him - I'd have him on as a sub before Boris if we're needing a goal though.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 24/03/2019 at 12:44, Silverton End said:

Nothing but 3 points will do & a semi-competent goalkeeping performance please Sons.

I shall be avidly watching Countryfile tonight for it's 'weather for the week ahead' segment.

No need for Countryfile pal. 100% game will be on. I'd love to get a few things off my chest on here but it will just get me in trouble. 

We need the between the posts prowess of Lawrie Williams Loyal at this vital time. Get yer boots polished Joe !!

Jumbo, Mri scan last Saturday and 25 years too late has ruled out a come back on Saturday, All joking aside, Adams is a total dumpling, It really doesn't take an expert to know that. I watched Brennan against Raith at the Rock and he is the first guy who looked like a keeper this season. Unless Jim Duffy doesn't like what he sees in training it's time to give the boy a run in the team.

An enormous game for both sides. After the past two weeks I've accepted we're likely to be relegated in May, even with a win here, but I do hope to see some kind of positive result to keep the embers smouldering.

I think it's between us and Brechin City for the final place so I'm hoping we can do enough to clamber into ninth and win the play-offs (a competition we've brilliant at).

On 26/03/2019 at 11:27, Francesc Fabregas said:

An enormous game for both sides. After the past two weeks I've accepted we're likely to be relegated in May, even with a win here, but I do hope to see some kind of positive result to keep the embers smouldering.

I think it's between us and Brechin City for the final place so I'm hoping we can do enough to clamber into ninth and win the play-offs (a competition we've brilliant at).

How's Cook doing? Used to work with him, nice guy and some left peg! Told me a story about breaking a guys wrist with a shot in a 5s game he wasn't meant to playing in. Got me into the Rangers v Arbroath game in the away end and witnessed him score a cracker which nearly won me a couple of grand after having him as first goal scorer. 

How's Cook doing? Used to work with him, nice guy and some left peg! Told me a story about breaking a guys wrist with a shot in a 5s game he wasn't meant to playing in. Got me into the Rangers v Arbroath game in the away end and witnessed him score a cracker which nearly won me a couple of grand after having him as first goal scorer. 

That the chip?

3 minutes ago, albundy said:

3 centre backs out, gives me the fear that carswell will be deployed in defence and our midfield will collapse.

Quality this. Signed Mclean to cover us for defensive injuries and he... ends up injured.

Not having 2 actually CBs in the middle of our defence makes such a huge difference to us as a team. Could really do with getting at least 1 other fit for the run in - 2 would be better since the fit CB we have is injury prone.

2 minutes ago, albundy said:

3 centre backs out, gives me the fear that carswell will be deployed in defence and our midfield will collapse.

That really, really wasn't the sort of team news I was hoping for. Then it was compounded by the fact Brennan is unavailable (he's in the UAE with Rangers - can understand why that's more attractive tbf), so Adam will be back between the sticks. Go on Grant, prove us all wrong.

We've had a goalkeeper go on holiday during the season and two miss games because of work commitments. What a season.

Quality this. Signed Mclean to cover us for defensive injuries and he... ends up injured.

Not having 2 actually CBs in the middle of our defence makes such a huge difference to us as a team. Could really do with getting at least 1 other fit for the run in - 2 would be better since the fit CB we have is injury prone.
Did wonder if Duffy would consider putting Hutton in the centre back role (I'm sure he played there one game under Aitken) and keep carswell in centre mid.

Could Ryan Thomson play at CB? Start Hutton and Carswell in CM and deploy Forbes wide. That way, we could drop Paton and start playing with 11 men again.
Paton looks like a supporter who has won a competition to play in the team for a day, I'd be shoehorning Boris, Russell or young Ben before him.

Archived