Evening Times Cup

glensmad

On 3/25/2019 at 10:40, Beenzon-Toste said:

It's the club that qualifies, not the players. Some of the players that helped the club win games early on may have moved on by the end of the season.

In many cases because it was so late in the season clubs have to bring in players to make up squads as some had moved on etc. I have said for years it should be a season opener for league and cup winners, so imo this is a great move.

Competitions like this happen all over Europe, e.g. Spain has their Super Cup played between the league winners and cup winners of the previous season, England has the Community Shield etc.

If it is only between the four league winners, then it's only a maximum of two games to be fitted in over the season when gaps in the fixture list allow it.

I think it's a great idea.

Scrapping the Central League Cup and keeping the Sectional League Cup was a baffling one for me, though. The Central League Cup at this time of the season kept many a team's season alive and kept interest and hope of silverware in many punters whose teams are otherwise playing meaningless mid-table end of season matches.

46 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Competitions like this happen all over Europe, e.g. Spain has their Super Cup played between the league winners and cup winners of the previous season, England has the Community Shield etc.

If it is only between the four league winners, then it's only a maximum of two games to be fitted in over the season when gaps in the fixture list allow it.

I think it's a great idea.

Scrapping the Central League Cup and keeping the Sectional League Cup was a baffling one for me, though. The Central League Cup at this time of the season kept many a team's season alive and kept interest and hope of silverware in many punters whose teams are otherwise playing meaningless mid-table end of season matches.

I honestly think it was a decision made out of sentiment and/or pigheadedness but hopefully not the latter. I supported it when the leagues were smaller but it needs drop kicked immediately.

10 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

I honestly think it was a decision made out of sentiment and/or pigheadedness but hopefully not the latter. I supported it when the leagues were smaller but it needs drop kicked immediately.

I 'think' that certian clubs were opposed to doing away with it as they were worried about losing a big gate, maybe the restructuring of the groups might have changed a few minds now?

• 3 weeks later...
Heard the latest?
WRSJFA Management Committee have decided that the ETC WILL be played at the end of this season after all and NOT held over to next season as previously indicated by Kennie!
I guess you're using the wrong bait, Erchie.
Anyway, I'll bite.
I don't see how that can happen if it's been a decision made by the AGM.

I guess you're using the wrong bait, Erchie.
Anyway, I'll bite.
I don't see how that can happen if it's been a decision made by the AGM.
But was it ? Does anybody have a copy of the minutes of the West Region AGM ? [emoji41]

Search for West Region AGM Outcome.
Look for a post from Theesel.
Ye can thank me later.[emoji6]
How about you just give us a link or tell us what it said ? It appears the minutes of that meeting are not where they used to be.

How about you just give us a link or tell us what it said ? It appears the minutes of that meeting are not where they used to be.
How about you type in what I said and press search?
If you want a Personal Assistant, advertise for one. You couldn't afford my rates.

How about you type in what I said and press search?
If you want a Personal Assistant, advertise for one. You couldn't afford my rates.
The search facility doesn't work on my phone. But hey, you could either be helpful or not, that's entirely your prerogative.

And so it all changes again.

The Evening Times Champions Cup will now be held next season (as indicated on here by Kennie Young) and not this season, after further discussions at the West Region management meetings.

That may change again next week, you never know ! :rolleyes:

Archived