Evening Times Cup

glensmad

I've heard that the season's traditional end-of-season Evening Times Cup will now actually be held during next season, with the teams who have qualified for it during this season, in a kind of "qualifying for Europe" style. Can anybody confirm this ?

8 minutes ago, glensmad said:

I've heard that the season's traditional end-of-season Evening Times Cup will now actually be held during next season, with the teams who have qualified for it during this season, in a kind of "qualifying for Europe" style. Can anybody confirm this ?

The draw will be made at the start of next season.

It will be played throughout the season on suitable dates.

This eliminates the need for cramming games into an already 'bursting at the seams' fixture list to find out the participants, then playing the full competition within a week.

I believe that doing it this way will allow us to promote the competition better.

The draw will be made at the start of next season.
It will be played throughout the season on suitable dates.
This eliminates the need for cramming games into an already 'bursting at the seams' fixture list to find out the participants, then playing the full competition within a week.
I believe that doing it this way will allow us to promote the competition better.
Kennie, thanks for the quick confirmation. [emoji106]

The Evening Times coverage has been shocking this season, weeks without updates on the website - its a meaningless competition that has ruined clubs seasons over the years as the West region races to fits games in so that clubs can be available to play in the diddiest of diddy cups.

I'd get it in the sea and wont be anywhere near a tie in it next season if the bens get in.

And how much money do teams get for entering it? Winning the league is far far more important to players and fans than the ET.

The Evening Times coverage has been shocking this season, weeks without updates on the website - its a meaningless competition that has ruined clubs seasons over the years as the West region races to fits games in so that clubs can be available to play in the diddiest of diddy cups.
I'd get it in the sea and wont be anywhere near a tie in it next season if the bens get in.
And how much money do teams get for entering it? Winning the league is far far more important to players and fans than the ET.
It's been changed so that it doesn't impact on the end to a team's season. Assuming that only the league leaders qualify, then it's only two games maximum spread over the season at a convenient point. A good idea in my opinion.

Why not use it as the season opener, played over a week when teams are playing meaningless friendlies, the final being like community shield game in England.Get rid of sectional league cup and go straight to league matches from the off.You could have at least 6 league fixtures completed in the time frame allocated for sectional games.The league as it stands just now  would be bang on schedule if you add 6 games to what theyve played already, something needs to give to  avoid the succesful teams playing 4 times a week, come May and June.

7 hours ago, Duraglit shareholder said:

Why not use it as the season opener, played over a week when teams are playing meaningless friendlies, the final being like community shield game in England.Get rid of sectional league cup and go straight to league matches from the off.You could have at least 6 league fixtures completed in the time frame allocated for sectional games.The league as it stands just now  would be bang on schedule if you add 6 games to what theyve played already, something needs to give to  avoid the succesful teams playing 4 times a week, come May and June.

Exactly. I don't get why the Sectional wasn't dropped as soon as the league was extended. I liked it previously but now it's just a hinderance to the league. Aye, it's been trimmed but that just takes away the argument that it's a historic tournament. Bears no resemblence to the old Jackie Scarlett now.

The Evening Times was only a real problem when every team that won anything that season were shoehorned in, leading to teams who had won multiple trophies effectively playing themselves all the way to the final while the other side of the draw could see someone having to play three games in five days - it might be better showcased at the start of a season.

I'm another in favour of launching the Sectional into the sea - in latter years it only really served to perpetuate half-forgotten local derbies between teams who found themselves in different divisions. The old sections had got stale, the rejig hasn't captured anybody's imagination and all it does is waste a few light midweeks when league games could be played.

Edited by Hillonearth

I can see why carrying it over to the following season to alleviate end of season fixture congestion is being introduced but the teams who actually contest it might be quite different from the ones that actually won the right to contest it.  Players go out of contract and move on at the end of one season and clubs rebuild their squad.  I never did like the format of having all the league winners contesting it, but having said that quite often it was a team from one of the lower divisions who won the trophy. That is how we won it in 2003 as winners  from the third tier of the newly formed West Region.  The Evening Times have a very long history of supporting junior football and we should not discard the connection lightly. It is hard enough to find new sponsors as it is but maybe their sponsorship could be transferred to some other competition. My suggestion would be a short, sharp, straight knock out invitation  tournament for teams who have already finished their involvement in other competitions. Four teams from Ayrshire area, four from the old Central area, to be changed every year except the holders are allowed to defend it, but not more than twice. Sounds a bit complicated I know but it could possibly attract some additional local sponsors  with prizes for top scoring team and player as incentives fior attacking football, just my own thoughts. 

43 minutes ago, garrellburn said:

I can see why carrying it over to the following season to alleviate end of season fixture congestion is being introduced but the teams who actually contest it might be quite different from the ones that actually won the right to contest it.  Players go out of contract and move on at the end of one season and clubs rebuild their squad.  I never did like the format of having all the league winners contesting it, but having said that quite often it was a team from one of the lower divisions who won the trophy. That is how we won it in 2003 as winners  from the third tier of the newly formed West Region.  The Evening Times have a very long history of supporting junior football and we should not discard the connection lightly. It is hard enough to find new sponsors as it is but maybe their sponsorship could be transferred to some other competition. My suggestion would be a short, sharp, straight knock out invitation  tournament for teams who have already finished their involvement in other competitions. Four teams from Ayrshire area, four from the old Central area, to be changed every year except the holders are allowed to defend it, but not more than twice. Sounds a bit complicated I know but it could possibly attract some additional local sponsors  with prizes for top scoring team and player as incentives fior attacking football, just my own thoughts. 

The biggest club tournament in world football, UEFA Champions League works in this way.

2 hours ago, garrellburn said:

I can see why carrying it over to the following season to alleviate end of season fixture congestion is being introduced but the teams who actually contest it might be quite different from the ones that actually won the right to contest it. 

As is the case when teams qualify for Europe at the end of one season, then make a whole new team of signings to play in Europe the following season, e.g. Rangers this season when Gerrard arrived. It happens all the time all across leagues in every country.

On 25/03/2019 at 10:29, jimbaxters said:

The biggest club tournament in world football, UEFA Champions League works in this way.

The Evening Times Trophy has been going far longer than EUFA Champions League and is a much bigger competition in any case.

1. The evening times is putting money into the game by sponsoring the cup therefore we should make sure we showcase it

2. If Mr King is going nowhere near the games even if the Ben's qualify then not much of a fan is he ?

The West Premier teams should not part of this tournament. It's the equivalent of the petrafac/harry ramsdens cup. Teams below the west premier should be given the chance of a cup trophy and this fits the criteria.