City vs Peterhead

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Draw the right result for me, surprised to see McAllister miss one of his early chances but then was equally surprised to see Henderson head one wide with plenty of the goal to aim at in the second half.

Was a nice treat being able to stand behind the goal but how ironic that for all the flack we’ve taken on here we’re going to get a fine for having too many people at our game!

Not sure who got man of the match but honourable mentions to Antell, Balatoni, McIntyre and Watson.

I know the manager’s subs are a point of contention and I thought Taylor for Watson was a mistake and I did raise an eyebrow when I saw Rodger come on up front when we have a striker on loan from Celtic on the bench.

Overall one of the more entertaining 0-0s I’ve seen

Strange kind of afternoon, 10 minute delay to allow the crowd in, see it was 1057 so a good turnout, think there were quite a few neutrals but you never know City may get a few going along. We had the best of the early play but as mentioned did not convert chances when they came along. City were possibly stronger in the 2nd half but to be honest this was not a blood & thunder type game more have a wee go but take no chances. Not good seeing Jamie Stevenson go off early on hope he has not done any more damage as he is definitely missed.

3 hours ago, AllyMonc said:

Draw the right result for me, surprised to see McAllister miss one of his early chances but then was equally surprised to see Henderson head one wide with plenty of the goal to aim at in the second half.

Was a nice treat being able to stand behind the goal but how ironic that for all the flack we’ve taken on here we’re going to get a fine for having too many people at our game!

Not sure who got man of the match but honourable mentions to Antell, Balatoni, McIntyre and Watson.

I know the manager’s subs are a point of contention and I thought Taylor for Watson was a mistake and I did raise an eyebrow when I saw Rodger come on up front when we have a striker on loan from Celtic on the bench.

Would seem harsh to get penalised for having a decent crowd. Not sure it sends out the right message to clubs who work hard to get people through the door. 

Perhaps a points deduction might be more appropriate. 

4 minutes ago, ScottR96 said:

Would seem harsh to get penalised for having a decent crowd. Not sure it sends out the right message to clubs who work hard to get people through the door. 

Perhaps a points deduction might be more appropriate. 

Only one point deduction though.

3-0 win and two extra points awarded to Peterhead of course.

Showed a bit of common sense letting folk go behind the goal at the far end, heard someone presumably more used to going to SPL games say that it was a nice change to be at a game with no segregation & no hassle & no problem with the atmosphere. Think it used to be ok for grass banking to be used in cup matches but not in general use in the league. It certainly improved the Ainslie Park viewing options anyway.

An increase of approx 800 since the Berwick midweek game - clear that it was locals from the capital out for a game of football. 

Out of interest why are supporters not normally allowed behind the goal at far end or along dug out side of the pitch? 

Normally hate visiting Ainslie Park due to being stuck on a path behind the goal that has kids playing football in the 5’s pitch behind you. 

An increase of approx 800 since the Berwick midweek game - clear that it was locals from the capital out for a game of football. 
Out of interest why are supporters not normally allowed behind the goal at far end or along dug out side of the pitch? 
Normally hate visiting Ainslie Park due to being stuck on a path behind the goal that has kids playing football in the 5’s pitch behind you. 

SPFL rules state you’re not allowed to stand on a grass verge, hence why we can expect a fine/telling off. It’s allowed in cup games and we’ve done it a few times now. I stood at the far end for the second half yesterday and actually quite enjoyed it.

17 hours ago, peternapper said:

Strange kind of afternoon, 10 minute delay to allow the crowd in, see it was 1057 so a good turnout, think there were quite a few neutrals but you never know City may get a few going along. We had the best of the early play but as mentioned did not convert chances when they came along. City were possibly stronger in the 2nd half but to be honest this was not a blood & thunder type game more have a wee go but take no chances. Not good seeing Jamie Stevenson go off early on hope he has not done any more damage as he is definitely missed.

It’s less than 10 years ago since I counted 28 at Meadowbank for a Saturday afternoon league game against Stirling Uni. City have came a long way. 

Think a few things worked in their favour yesterday, a decent day, no SPL games in Edinburgh & what should have been a decent game between the top two sides. Provided they just stick to making plenty noise & flag waving the section of youngsters  could be a start to building a support for the future. Think there may have been more than the official attendance there as they had to let folk pay at gate as well as the turnstiles to speed things along but difficult when your just tenants & it all worked out ok.

8 hours ago, AllyMonc said:

SPFL rules state you’re not allowed to stand on a grass verge, hence why we can expect a fine/telling off. It’s allowed in cup games and we’ve done it a few times now. I stood at the far end for the second half yesterday and actually quite enjoyed it.

That's going to have to be fixed for our visit on the 13th. 

Capacity given as 3,000 on Wiki. What is the exact restriction for League matches? 

That's going to have to be fixed for our visit on the 13th. 

Capacity given as 3,000 on Wiki. What is the exact restriction for League matches? 

Not sure on the exact number but stand holds 500, after that it’s just people standing at one end and half of one side so another 200 max? Once you get over that there’s clearly a call to make on opening the other end and risking the wrath of the SPFL.

The club have always seemed a bit wary of the Clyde support (only time I’ve seen segregation etc.) so they might have something planned for the 13th.

9 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

Not sure on the exact number but stand holds 500, after that it’s just people standing at one end and half of one side so another 200 max? Once you get over that there’s clearly a call to make on opening the other end and risking the wrath of the SPFL.

The club have always seemed a bit wary of the Clyde support (only time I’ve seen segregation etc.) so they might have something planned for the 13th.

Interesting use of language Ally, but yes, you're right- they are "wary", for some obscure, as yet  unascertained reason. And have barely made any effort to conceal this. 

All jovial banter aside, i don't think a single thing has occurred in our, what, dozen matches up until now, deserving of any "waryness". I think you'd have to agree on that. 

Personally, if i were taking the call from Edinburgh regarding the probable away support numbers for the upcoming match, having read these comments about their attitude to us from one of their more reasonable supporters,  i'd be inclined to reply that our fans are a bit scunnered by the points deduction, and we'd be unlikely to bring any more than 200. Then see how "wary" the ECFC officials are while salivating from pocketing an easy extra £4-5k through their door when the real numbers show up. 

On 3/23/2019 at 18:39, AllyMonc said:

So you had to use the grass banking down the bottom end. Though they would given the crowd.

Interesting use of language Ally, but yes, you're right- they are "wary", for some obscure, as yet  unascertained reason. And have barely made any effort to conceal this. 

All jovial banter aside, i don't think a single thing has occurred in our, what, dozen matches up until now, deserving of any "waryness". I think you'd have to agree on that. 

Personally, if i were taking the call from Edinburgh regarding the probable away support numbers for the upcoming match, having read these comments about their attitude to us from one of their more reasonable supporters,  i'd be inclined to reply that our fans are a bit scunnered by the points deduction, and we'd be unlikely to bring any more than 200. Then see how "wary" the ECFC officials are while salivating from pocketing an easy extra £4-5k through their door when the real numbers show up. 

Aye I’ve never had any issue with the Clyde travelling support (apart from one game at Meadowbank where I celebrated a disallowed Craig Beattie goal and (quite rightly) got absolute pelters). Some of the games we’ve played out on the other hand have been a deeply painful experience.........

I think “wary” is as close as I can get to how I think the club feel, nervous would work as well. Personally don’t think it’s anything other than you bring a large and boisterous support and Ainslie Park is impossible to steward effectively.

I’d imagine the 13th will be a dress rehearsal for the surely inevitable playoff games we’ll contest but if you do come with the title in sight then we might get a crowd close to the 1000 mark we breached on Saturday.

8 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

It’s less than 10 years ago since I counted 28 at Meadowbank for a Saturday afternoon league game against Stirling Uni. City have came a long way. 

f**k me, a Whitehill fan who can count up to 28- take your shoes and socks off did you?! :P

Archived