Who's the best heavyweight boxer?

Ludo*1

Who's the best?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know there's a boxing thread this can be stuck in and over the hundreds of pages there sure has been some debate about it. I thought I'd make the definitive P&B poll. Who's the best current heavyweight boxer out of the three main contenders?

Of the 3, it's difficult to say as they could all beat each other on any given night.

Technically: Fury>AJ>Wilder

Power: Wilder/AJ>Fury

Record: AJ>Fury>Wilder

Conclusion: Throw in Usyk, Whyte & Dubois and have a HW Super Six Series.

Fury is the most skilled but he hit Wilder with everything and couldn’t drop him. Not sure his heart is really in it. He can live a nice life now and take easy fights and go on chat shows.

AJ has talked a good game since the Parker fight and I believe he genuinely wants to take on anyone. He looked more athletic against Povetkin, rather than looking like a body builder. I look forward to his fights now.

Wilder is crippled by his ego. He won’t learn or listen. I’d have fancied him to KO the Joshua of a year or two back - big, static weightlifter, but now Joshua looks a bit leaner and is trying to move better Wilder could be swinging at fresh air.  He gets a bit too much stick though IMO. Fury described parrying a jab from him at the end of the first round and said it was like nothing he’d experienced, with power similar to a normal fighter’s loaded up right hand. He still put Fury on his arse twice when sparring partners have described going days in camp barely landing a shot on him.

Usyk is the WBO mandatory for AJ. I think he will have the power and accuracy to trouble the big lads and should slice through the likes of Takam, Ortiz or Parker. 

AJ v Usyk later in the year is probably the easiest fight to make in terms of contracts, politics etc.

Of the 3, it's difficult to say as they could all beat each other on any given night.
Get Whyte to f**k, nowhere near the class of others

3 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 23/03/2019 at 04:05, sjc said:

Get Whyte to f**k, nowhere near the class of others

Let's be honest, other than Fury, AJ, Wilder & Usyk who else did you get to make up 6? Dubois hasn't fought anyone of note yet either. Povetkin? Genuinely struggling to think of anyone else.

Let's be honest, other than Fury, AJ, Wilder & Usyk who else did you get to make up 6? Dubois hasn't fought anyone of note yet either. Povetkin? Genuinely struggling to think of anyone else.

Ortiz and Whyte.

Of the three, I think a fit and focussed Fury is the best. I think all three have attributes that make them capable of beating the other, but over multiple fights I think Fury’s (controlling range, avoiding being caught, etc) would see him come out on top more often than not. He clearly has the least power of the three, but his footwork, distance control and jab are light years ahead of the other two and he clearly beat Wilder already. He also showed he has an inhuman ability to recover as that second knockdown would have coma’d most people, let alone get back up and finish the round the stronger of the two.

On the opposite end of the coin, Wilder isn’t really technically proficient at all, he’s awkward as f**k, footwork is pretty plodding even with his undoubted athleticism, and he doesn’t really set anything up, but in a computer game his power would rank at about a 17 out of 10 which just equalises everything.

Joshua to me is what SAF once described Raul as, not amazing at any one thing, but good or great at everything, and improving all the time. He’s a very good finisher and clearly has power, but he doesn’t seem to have concussive one-punch knock-out power anything close to Wilder’s. His jab is good, but not as good as Fury’s, similar with his footwork, but where the other two have 9/10 attributes and 5/10 attributes, he has 7/10 across the board.

It’s a shame the money men are blocking what could be a golden period for heavyweight boxing (genuinely think all three would fight each other no bother), but as I’ve said for a long-time on the other thread, the discussion will soon be irrelevant as Oleksandr is coming and he’ll take those belts whenever he chooses to do so. I am feel. I am very feel.

IMG_8869.jpg

As much as I want it to be Fury, until Joshua is beaten in the ring it has to be him. Don’t particularly like the guy but he has a better record in fewer fights. Think he beats Wilder easily and the Fury fight is 50/50 for me  

Disappointed in Fury not going straight into either a fight with Joshua or Wilder rematch. If Joshua had done what Fury has done he would be getting slaughtered. 

• 2 weeks later...

Old Barry Hearn said he has spoken to the WBC and reckons they may install Whyte as mandatory soon and order the winner of Breazeale v Wilder to fight him next. The only allowance would be for a unification fight. Might just get a big fight later in the year after all. 

Archived