International Football: A Growing Irrelevance?

forameus

I think there also needs to be more communication with the fans regarding who's actually available, who's genuinely injured and who's out of favour and then we can all draw our own conclusions.

As mentioned above, McLeish should pick the BEST players available and if any can't make it due to something "debatable" then this should be made public and they should never wear the national shirt again. 

At the moment I'm wondering if the likes of Douglas and Snodgrass were omitted due to McLeish's incompetence / pig headedness or if it was that neither wished to be selected ? I also think, like another poster has mentioned, that we need to get tough on those clubs who are playing us and use the rules to teach them a lesson, otherwise we'll just become an even bigger laughing stock than we are at the moment, if that's possible.

Irrespective of all that, I still believe the ridiculous kick off times are a huge part of the apathy which is currently engulfing our national setup and unfortunately that's unlikely to change anytime soon............

I can understand our growing ambivalence towards the National football team due to our pishness but I genuinely don't see thus being a Worldwide attitude.

We've just witnessed the most entertaining World Cup in living memory. The success of Nations such as Belgium & Croatia amongst others over the likes of Brazil, Argentina only heightened the spectacle imo.

Don't get me wrong, international football isn't without its faults but the last World Cup was a refreshing change to watch from the monotony of the usual, financially doped suspects at club level.

The frequent and pointless talk of club vs country doesn't help.  I love both. I think international football is special, especially when it's going well for your country obviously but i love looking at the history and looking back at tournaments and the special stories they always bring. It's easy to be down now because  of where we are in get that but na, it'll never be irrelevant to me. 

I tend to enjoy the major tournaments, but the qualifying is always a slog for me. I'll always prefer club football, and my connection with Morton isn't anything close to strong, so it's natural that my connection to Scotland isn't going to be great. I don't see that changing.

I'm more of a football fan than actually getting right behind one team. Think that's why I've never really bought into the St Mirren rivalry either. I just don't care enough.

4 hours ago, sjc said:

I can understand our growing benevolence towards the National football team due to our pishness but I genuinely don't see thus being a Worldwide attitude.

We've just witnessed the most entertaining World Cup in living memory. The success of Nations such as Belgium & Croatia amongst others over the likes of Brazil, Argentina only heightened the spectacle imo.

Don't get me wrong, international football isn't without its faults but the last World Cup was a refreshing change to watch from the monotony of the usual, financially doped suspects at club level.

Do you mean ambivalence? Because judging by the reactions in the pub I don't think we're feeling any more benevolent towards that shower playing for us atm. 

6 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Do you mean ambivalence? Because judging by the reactions in the pub I don't think we're feeling any more benevolent towards that shower playing for us atm. 

Yes. Not sure what I was thinking there......it being early was my only (and admittedly poor) excuse!

Guest JTS98

I went to Russia for the World Cup last summer and it was absolutely tremendous. No sense of irrelevance around it at all, and the atmosphere and enthusiasm of so many people from so many different places was even enough to allow you to forget that it's a tournament run by absolute bell-ends for a few minutes. It's a great event.

I was also at the Euros in 2012 and had a similar experience in Ukraine and Poland. Lots of excited people having fun and enjoying football together. It's tremendous.

I'm quite a cynical person in general, and especially when it comes to modern football. I barely watch the Champions League and will only watch English football when being sociable with my mates requires it. Yet the Euros and the World Cup really excite me, even when we're not part of it.

For Euro 2016 I was in Malaysia and watched most of the tournament in Kuala Lumpur. Even there on the other side of the world pubs were packed with people of all kinds of nationalities absolutely loving the spectacle and excitement of the whole thing. I watched Northern Ireland v Ukraine in a packed pub despite kick-off being something like 2am. It's a proper event.

The idea that enthusiasm for international football is waning exists in Scotland because we're shite and in England because of the fanbois who think football began in 1992 and believe that 'The Prem' is an acceptable phrase for anybody to use.

I don't really care for International football until the Major tournaments balance out my apathy towards it.

Personally, I think instead of continuous breaks throughout the year, I'd rather they finished the season earlier, and had an 'International Month' so to speak getting all the qualifiers done in 1-2 runs, rather than painstakingly kick the arse out of it in pieces over the course of the year.

2 hours ago, JTS98 said:

I went to Russia for the World Cup last summer and it was absolutely tremendous. No sense of irrelevance around it at all, and the atmosphere and enthusiasm of so many people from so many different places was even enough to allow you to forget that it's a tournament run by absolute bell-ends for a few minutes. It's a great event.

I was also at the Euros in 2012 and had a similar experience in Ukraine and Poland. Lots of excited people having fun and enjoying football together. It's tremendous.

I'm quite a cynical person in general, and especially when it comes to modern football. I barely watch the Champions League and will only watch English football when being sociable with my mates requires it. Yet the Euros and the World Cup really excite me, even when we're not part of it.

For Euro 2016 I was in Malaysia and watched most of the tournament in Kuala Lumpur. Even there on the other side of the world pubs were packed with people of all kinds of nationalities absolutely loving the spectacle and excitement of the whole thing. I watched Northern Ireland v Ukraine in a packed pub despite kick-off being something like 2am. It's a proper event.

The idea that enthusiasm for international football is waning exists in Scotland because we're shite and in England because of the fanbois who think football began in 1992 and believe that 'The Prem' is an acceptable phrase for anybody to use.

Great post and sums up my feelings, even though I'm not lucky enough to have been to a major tournament. The modern day wailing about how pish and irrelevant international football is winds me up. 

I think there's an issues with qualifiers and friendlies in generating interest but International football is far from irrelevant and much more fulfilling than the commercial machine's like the Champions league.

Archived