Scott Bain

Busta Nut

Scott Bain  

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With respect, it wouldn't be hard for a goalkeeper to be better with the ball at his feet than Craig Gordon.  He's the worst I've ever seen.  Constantly clipping the ball to the defenders chest or head, meaning they have to take multiple touches to get the ball under control, which puts them under pressure from the other team.

He's incapable of just rolling the ball to the full-back or centre half.

1st and 3rd goals would require keepers far better than his level to save. 

2nd goal he definitely should have saved or at least attempted to close down the player. 

He's simply not good enough. 

Kelly, Clark or the boy from Sunderland would be far better. 

Kelly seems a far more commanding keeper for instance. Not seen enough of Clark to pass judgement. 

Edited by ArabianKnight

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Scott Bain is very good with the ball at his feet (Not necessarily kicking long) but his control of the ball is excellent and he can easily deal with any dodgy backpasses better than most truly top keepers can. He can also produce the odd wonder save.

That's it though. He's below average on every other category. He's completely silent in the goal. For evidence, look at the second goal where Shinnie (Who is ultimately to blame) thought that Bain was coming to collect the ball. He can't dominate his box, he can't save a penalty and despite the odd wonder save, there's many a shot where you don't know if he could have saved it or not because he doesn't dive - even when it's not placed fully in the corner.

This, combined with a clear attitude problem having fell out with 2 separate managers and having weekly spats with the crowd (And team mates if rumours are to be believed) suggests to me that he's not cut out for Celtic, nevermind Scotland's number 1.

The only thing he has on Craig Gordon is his competency with the ball at his feet and considering Celtic use their keeper as pretty much a sweeper as opposed to an actual goalkeeper domestically, I can see why he'd be preferred to Gordon at Celtic. There's not a chance he's the better keeper though.

I'd have McLaughlin, Clark and a good few others ahead of him tbh.

As for the Celtic fan suggesting to take Dee fans opinions with a pinch of salt, what a ridiculous assertation. Hendry is a fine defender who can't handle the step up due to massive inexperience and it shows. The goalkeeping department at Celtic right now is based on their ability with the ball at their feet rather than their actual goal tending ability.

A spot of trolling on my behalf but our goalie coach has worked wonders in to turning Forster from a big lump into a champions league level goalkeeper and resurrecting Gordons career. 

Still early days regarding Bain but I have been very suprised by him so far. Albeit the expectancy was low but he will struggle to get anybody better coaching him so he could fufill his potential yet.

Edited by gannonball

Thought he was good for Dundee. Nothing special but good for Dundees level. His attitude was always questionable though even before McCann. Always felt he was far too laid back. Look forward to Celtic fans reactions when he starts telling them to f**k off if they dare give him any stick.

On 22/03/2019 at 11:35, eez-eh said:

He’s not as bad as all the reactionary Dundee fans make out but he’s no better than average.

This could all be solved by calling up David Marshall, why he hasn’t been picked in years I don’t know.

Granted, I hate Bain but this is about right.  He's average at best.  His shot stopping is decent and his footwork is good but the rest is shite.  He parries balls to forwards all the time.  Can't catch a cold either.

He's a 3rd choice keeper really.  If we don't have 2 better keepers than we are in trouble.  Got a pal who supports Celtic and for years I told him Bain was decent but not good enough for Celtic.  He then signed for them and he tells me I'm bitter to him.  Typical Celtic reaction.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

There don’t look to be any outstanding Scottish goalkeepers ready to replace Gordon and McGregor.

Is Bain better than McLaughlin?

No.

Why has David Marshall not been called up? Goalkeepers can easily play into their 40s. Pity McGregor is such a cuntish human being and we wouldn't be in this position.

Despite his horrific debut, I think Jordan Archer is the best Scottish goalkeeper that's not Gordon/Marshall/McGregor.

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

5950e1a090503_i3tSE8(1).gif.5a334e3fb0ef8eecc4cea52752a41284.gif.1dba46fdef9057b4b92194f0162c5830.gif.05cd815e07307114fa4119ce8f446225.gif

How much have you seen of him other than his Scotland appearance? Admittedly, it's only the odd live Millwall game on Sky and the highlights programme I watch every week, but I don't rate Bain, I don't rate Kelly, I think Clark is alright but not exactly great. McLaughlin is steady though. Just watched a few Youtube videos filled with Archer howlers though so maybe I'm a bit off on that front!

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

How much have you seen of him other than his Scotland appearance? Admittedly, it's only the odd live Millwall game on Sky and the highlights programme I watch every week, but I don't rate Bain, I don't rate Kelly, I think Clark is alright but not exactly great. McLaughlin is steady though. Just watched a few Youtube videos filled with Archer howlers though so maybe I'm a bit off on that front!

Seen a fair bit of Archer over the years, not as good as Clark or Kelly. McLaughlin and Marshall should be the go to Keepers before any of Clark/Kelly/Bain/Gordon. 

8 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It's a huge drop off between McGregor/Gordon/Marshall and anybody else.  At least Bain is playing at a decent level.  None of the options is remotely good enough though.  

Did Marshall retire or what?  

18 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Was Archer not dropped by Millwall for a spell last season? Seem to vaguely remember someone mentioning that. He seems fairly small for a keeper, to me, maybe wildly wrong with that though.

We dont have a young keeper who looks capable, at the moment. Gordon and Marshall were two keepers you could see would be capped at a young age, not sure about McGregor. I dont get the vibe from anyone just now, Kelly and Clark are both alright young keepers, but neither will ever be good for a far greater level than they're at. I wouldn't rate Bain as high as those two either, FWIW.

Our best bet is Angus Gunn, but hes no interest in Scotland. Outwith that its desperate.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Bain will be found out soon enough. He’s landed on his feet by getting in at Celtic, and fair enough he’s having a bit of a purple patch at club level but he’s not good enough for Celtic or Scotland and I imagine fans of both will come to realise this soon. 

Could absolve him of blame from the first Kazakh goal as it was a good strike in off the bar but he’s almost standing on the 6  yard line as it’s hit. The second he should be right on top of the Kazakh player as he goes to shoot and he’s no where near him. He has watched the full passage of play straight on and moved 2 yards whilst the attacker has moved 10/15 yards. Shinnie at fault as well of course but Bain should be out at the guys feet. 

Third goal his starting position seems very strange as he’s too far over to the left hand side of his goal. The ball doesn’t loop over his head so a better starting position would have gave him a chance. 

19 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Bain will be found out soon enough. He’s landed on his feet by getting in at Celtic, and fair enough he’s having a bit of a purple patch at club level but he’s not good enough for Celtic or Scotland and I imagine fans of both will come to realise this soon. 

Could absolve him of blame from the first Kazakh goal as it was a good strike in off the bar but he’s almost standing on the 6  yard line as it’s hit. The second he should be right on top of the Kazakh player as he goes to shoot and he’s no where near him. He has watched the full passage of play straight on and moved 2 yards whilst the attacker has moved 10/15 yards. Shinnie at fault as well of course but Bain should be out at the guys feet. 

Third goal his starting position seems very strange as he’s too far over to the left hand side of his goal. The ball doesn’t loop over his head so a better starting position would have gave him a chance. 

I'm not really sure how he could have possibly done anything for the second tbh. The weight of it was perfect and the guy was always going to be the favourite to it, he took a little bit of time to hit it but Bain would have sold himself unless he'd went the second the pass was being made as it isn't certain that he'd get to it first, also a good chance he'd clatter into Shinnie who really should be dealing with it.

I think that people have been a bit hysterical about Bain and are just looking for things to find wrong tbh. He's a bit of an odd 'keeper in his manner at times but there are strengths to his game. For me, it's a massive downgrade over McGregor but it's also not something that I worry about hugely and I think he's probably not hit his prime yet. He does seem to be improving when I've seen him for Celtic since his Dundee days IMO.

With other 'keepers, there isn't a massive amount in it. Archer seems a total calamity whenever I've seen him and has looked a massive weak link for Millwall, I don't get a good vibe from him. I'd say Zander Clark deserves a bit more recognition and he has surprised me a bit with how dependable he seems to be now. Liam Kelly was struggling in League One a couple of seasons ago so whilst he has had an outstanding season, I'd be a bit wary of expecting him to be near international level yet as I think the style of Livi and having a consistent defence for years is a massive help to any 'keeper. McLaughlin seems really consistent and I think he'd be unlucky if he didn't get a few caps in this period.

Right now, I get the impression that we're paying for having such inexperienced defenders at this level. Hopefully we reap the rewards of that soon but Bates, McKenna and Souttar all look very vulnerable.