Scott Bain

Busta Nut

Scott Bain  

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Only watched him play for Celtic, and today for Scotland. A lot of folk seem to say he is rubbish based on his previous with Aberdeen and Dundee (not heard many dissenting Alloa supporters yet) but he's been decent from what i've seen. Hard to tell from one International match and he has made some decent saves recently, especially against Valencia in Spain in the Europa League; maybe this debut was a bit too much for him but he surely has to be considered a future Scottish regular. I'd say Zander Clark deserves a shot too, and also Liam Kelly. I've voted average FWIW.

What goals was he really at fault for? I cant think of any, first yes was near post but a clever volley with the outside of the boot. 2nd was a one touch finish that Bain did ok I thought to react fast but another clever finish. Disagree with Stewart questioning his positioning being on the goal line given the back 4 were on the edge of the box at the time of the through ball. 3rd was a looping header to the inside of the post. 

I thought he was bang average when we signed him and I liked Gordon anyway just felt Rodgers was asking him to play a role he clearly cant play. Fast forward a year and Bain has rarely put a foot wrong for us and the back 4 seem way more settled with him in goal. I would take Dundees views on him with a pinch of salt given they thought Hendry was great and Bain was shite.

Somewhere between average and great for me so I didnt vote. Certainly competent, the ‘found out’ comment is pish given he played well at a level far higher than last night only last month ffs and he wasnt even that bad yesterday either.

Edited by gannonball

I’ve not seen enough of him to comment properly. Luckily this is Pie and Bovril so who cares about that minor issue. I’ll stick him down as average. He must be doing something right to be getting a regular game for Celtic, but he doesn’t look great. 

I suppose it was either going to be him or McLaughlin given they’ve been the bench warmers to the likes of Shagger and Gordon. I think McLeish should phone a friend and get some other opinions on who Scotland’s best ‘Keeper is. 

Edited by Scary Bear

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

What goals was he really at fault for? I cant think of any, first yes was near post but a clever volley with the outside of the boot. 2nd was a one touch finish that Bain did ok I thought to react fast but another clever finish. Disagree with Stewart questioning his positioning being on the goal line given the back 4 were on the edge of the box at the time of the through ball. 3rd was a looping header to the inside of the post. 

I thought he was bang average when we signed him and I liked Gordon anyway just felt Rodgers was asking him to play a role he clearly cant play. Fast forward a year and Bain has rarely put a foot wrong for us and the back 4 seem way more settled with him in goal. I would take Dundees views on him with a pinch of salt given they thought Hendry was great and Bain was shite.

Somewhere between average and great for me so I didnt vote. Certainly competent, the ‘found out’ comment is pish given he played well at a level far higher than last night only last month ffs and he wasnt even that bad yesterday either.

How many saves does he have to make in a typical Celtic game? You could probably stick most keepers in the Celtic goal and they’d look okay.

8 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

How many saves does he have to make in a typical Celtic game? You could probably stick most keepers in the Celtic goal and they’d look okay.

Well no, we have had a fair share of below average keepers up untill the past decade or so. Even if you look at ones who we have signed from the league we are in like Rab Douglas. He looked unbelievable at Dundee but lacked the concentration required for us and cracked under the additional  pressure. 

18 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

He must be doing something right to be getting a regular game for Celtic

They have literally nobody else as the other keepers are injured. He was signed as the third wheel make weight in the Jack Hendry/Scott Allan deal. By the end of his time at Dundee he was dropped because of his flaws.

Celtic fans will defend him to the death, though, purely because hes their player.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They have literally nobody else as the other keepers are injured. He was signed as the third wheel make weight in the Jack Hendry/Scott Allan deal. By the end of his time at Dundee he was dropped because of his flaws.

Celtic fans will defend him to the death, though, purely because hes their player.

This is rubbish, even one of the other players in your post (Hendry)  has been unconvincing for Scotland and you will struggle to find any Celtic fan defending him.

He's 100% better than average, but he's not 'great'. Swap him for Zander Clark or Liam Kelly (in terms of playing for Celtic and Bain playing a smaller club) and they'd be your number one imqho.

I'd like to see Kelly handed a start against San Marino just for the experience. It would be a perfect first game for a 'keeper to settle into international football.

4 hours ago, gannonball said:

The second goal, whilst a great pass, the guy tapped it into the net inside the 6 yard box.  He was slow out to it which gave the striker the space to tap home.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with the third goal, but at the time I thought he could've made an effort to save it, good header though and Shinnie and McKenna are far more culpable there so I'll let it slide. There were certainly far bigger issues than Bain last night but I thought it highlighted that he's not really at International level. Being fair though, none of our players looked up to International level last night. It really was the worst performance I've seen from a Scotland side, I even expect Dumbarton to play more coherent football than that this weekend.

Scott Bain is very good with the ball at his feet (Not necessarily kicking long) but his control of the ball is excellent and he can easily deal with any dodgy backpasses better than most truly top keepers can. He can also produce the odd wonder save.

That's it though. He's below average on every other category. He's completely silent in the goal. For evidence, look at the second goal where Shinnie (Who is ultimately to blame) thought that Bain was coming to collect the ball. He can't dominate his box, he can't save a penalty and despite the odd wonder save, there's many a shot where you don't know if he could have saved it or not because he doesn't dive - even when it's not placed fully in the corner.

This, combined with a clear attitude problem having fell out with 2 separate managers and having weekly spats with the crowd (And team mates if rumours are to be believed) suggests to me that he's not cut out for Celtic, nevermind Scotland's number 1.

The only thing he has on Craig Gordon is his competency with the ball at his feet and considering Celtic use their keeper as pretty much a sweeper as opposed to an actual goalkeeper domestically, I can see why he'd be preferred to Gordon at Celtic. There's not a chance he's the better keeper though.

I'd have McLaughlin, Clark and a good few others ahead of him tbh.

As for the Celtic fan suggesting to take Dee fans opinions with a pinch of salt, what a ridiculous assertation. Hendry is a fine defender who can't handle the step up due to massive inexperience and it shows. The goalkeeping department at Celtic right now is based on their ability with the ball at their feet rather than their actual goal tending ability.