Celtic v Rangers: Mothering Sunday: Midday

Did Halliday get a straight red? What was the specific offence?  Too lazy to trawl the thread. Looks like he just got angry and shouted a bit. I didn’t see any raised hands. Bain pulling Brown’s shirt was the ‘roughest’ part of that, no?

Morelos has been a liability all season. Every man and his dog knew he would get sent off again for retaliation. Stevie G has to take some blame for failing to man manage and control his outbursts. 

Whats worrying though is everyone’s acceptance that the obvious game plan to get him sent off is fair play. 

Brown has obviously followed his managers instruction to the letter. Lennon has made goading people then playing the victim an accepted part of the game.

the beautiful game indeed. 

The game turned out ok in the second half but for me the sending off spoilt the first half and possibly the game. This is what Lennon brings to our game. But The media love him for the controversy and the Celtic fans like him more than Rogers because of this too. Mental that brown and Celtic aren’t called out as much Morelos. He hit him on the chest ffs

2 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

The ‘people’ of GersTV

The Bristol bar doing roaring trade in helium by the sound of it.

IS there subtitles for this can’t understand a word they’re saying 

5 minutes ago, a1974h said:

Morelos has been a liability all season. Every man and his dog knew he would get sent off again for retaliation. Stevie G has to take some blame for failing to man manage and control his outbursts. 

Whats worrying though is everyone’s acceptance that the obvious game plan to get him sent off is fair play. 

Brown has obviously followed his managers instruction to the letter. Lennon has made goading people then playing the victim an accepted part of the game.

the beautiful game indeed. 

The game turned out ok in the second half but for me the sending off spoilt the first half and possibly the game. This is what Lennon brings to our game. But The media love him for the controversy and the Celtic fans like him more than Rogers because of this too. Mental that brown and Celtic aren’t called out as much Morelos. He hit him on the chest ffs

RequiredAgitatedAiredaleterrier-small.gif

The ‘people’ of GersTV

The danger of Tory austerity , not one of these four has a carer with them

Edited by LordHawHaw

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I think I actually might be sort of on Bennett's side here.

*Picks splinters out of arse.*

In terms of in the confines of the pitch, none of it's racist. It's clever/snide/delete where applicable players like McKenna and Brown knowing exactly how best to get a rise out of him, and Morelos will take the bait every single time. The more he does it, the more the referee/linesman/fourth official looks out for it, and so things he used to get away with two seasons ago get noticed almost every time without fail nowadays. If none of the officials see it, then usually the compliance officer will.

So that's on the pitch covered, but what about off the pitch?

Well, I'd say that 99% of what Morelos takes from fans of other clubs is in the main good-natured ribbing. He's a pantomime villain, he plays the role exceptionally well and he's a very easy player to dislike. Back in December he missed about five chances and it was very fun getting it up him as he got more and more frustrated as the evening wore on. When he does score, he usually gives as good as he gets. Hell, even when Candeias scored at Easter Road the other week, it was Morelos who giving it tightest to the East. :lol:

But after that very same game, a quick look on .net showed at least two, maybe more, separate posters complaining about folk making monkey gestures at him. 

Thankfully, black players don't get racially abused in Britain nearly as much as they used to, or in comparison to present day Eastern Europe. It obviously goes without saying that it's disgraceful that there's any at all. Anyway, in my opinion, the victims of racial abuse in British football grounds tend to be the best black players. Recent examples back that up. Scott Sinclair (when he was on fire) at Ibrox, Raheem Sterling at Stamford Bridge, and Morelos at Easter Road and (you'd sadly assume) other SPFL grounds.

Believe me, I know full well that Rangers fans are not the bastions of racial equality. If he was a Celtic player they'd be giving it the exact same, if not worse. However, I think it's pretty undeniable that Morelos attracts an extra level of flak on account of being both foreign and black.

'Flak' doesn't have to mean visceral racist hatred, it can be as simple as Morelos' moments of madness being given far more coverage than repeat white, Scottish offenders. Jason Cummings was an absolute headcase at times for Hibs, sent off for throwing the ball away in a crucial cup tie, chipping penalties over bars, punching the ball into the net and getting sent off. Folk (myself included, by the way) brushed it off as daft wee lovable Edinburgh laddie.

I just can't help but think that being black and foreign attracts more scrutiny (largely subconscious scrutiny, but scrutiny all the same) than being white and Scottish from our media and our fans. That might not be exactly the point Bennett's trying to make, so I don't agree with him wholesale on this, but I can certainly see where he's coming from.

To be fair it is possible that Stevie G didn't warn them about Brown tactics pre match.  Stevie G is a shit manager.
The players themselves should know this anyways.... the manager shouldn't need to tell them.
With Brown, you just have to smile at him and get on with it.... and be a bit more cunning than what he is.
Shouldn't be too difficult as he isn't the smartest.

15 minutes ago, a1974h said:

Eh?

Players in every team spend the entire match niggling away at opposition players. Alfred of Motherwell and Kane of Saints spent the majority of yesterday shouting insults at each other, smashing into each other before the ball reached them and having nice wee kicks whenever they could.

Morelos isnt targeted anymore than anyone else, he just reacts to it.

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I think I actually might be sort of on Bennett's side here.

*Picks splinters out of arse.*

In terms of in the confines of the pitch, none of it's racist. It's clever/snide/delete where applicable players like McKenna and Brown knowing exactly how best to get a rise out of him, and Morelos will take the bait every single time. The more he does it, the more the referee/linesman/fourth official looks out for it, and so things he used to get away with two seasons ago get noticed almost every time without fail nowadays. If none of the officials see it, then usually the compliance officer will.

So that's on the pitch covered, but what about off the pitch?

Well, I'd say that 99% of what Morelos takes from fans of other clubs is in the main good-natured ribbing. He's a pantomime villain, he plays the role exceptionally well and he's a very easy player to dislike. Back in December he missed about five chances and it was very fun getting it up him as he got more and more frustrated as the evening wore on. When he does score, he usually gives as good as he gets. Hell, even when Candeias scored at Easter Road the other week, it was Morelos who giving it tightest to the East. :lol:

But after that very same game, a quick look on .net showed at least two, maybe more, separate posters complaining about folk making monkey gestures at him. 

Thankfully, black players don't get racially abused in Britain nearly as much as they used to, or in comparison to present day Eastern Europe. It obviously goes without saying that it's disgraceful that there's any at all. Anyway, in my opinion, the victims of racial abuse in British football grounds tend to be the best black players. Recent examples back that up. Scott Sinclair (when he was on fire) at Ibrox, Raheem Sterling at Stamford Bridge, and Morelos at Easter Road and (you'd sadly assume) other SPFL grounds.

Believe me, I know full well that Rangers fans are not the bastions of racial equality. If he was a Celtic player they'd be giving it the exact same, if not worse. However, I think it's pretty undeniable that Morelos attracts an extra level of flak on account of being both foreign and black.

'Flak' doesn't have to mean visceral racist hatred, it can be as simple as Morelos' moments of madness being given far more coverage than repeat white, Scottish offenders. Jason Cummings was an absolute headcase at times for Hibs, sent off for throwing the ball away in a crucial cup tie, chipping penalties over bars, punching the ball into the net and getting sent off. Folk (myself included, by the way) brushed it off as daft wee lovable Edinburgh laddie.

I just can't help but think that being black and foreign attracts more scrutiny (largely subconscious scrutiny, but scrutiny all the same) than being white and Scottish from our media and our fans. That might not be exactly the point Bennett's trying to make, so I don't agree with him wholesale on this, but I can certainly see where he's coming from.

Big post, however best summed up for me  by saying Morelos gets wound up because he cannot score against the best team in Scotland

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

When you walk into a room and you think everyone else has a problem, the problem is usually you.

My Dad used to say "if everyone around you smells like shite, you're probably the arsehole".

The ‘people’ of GersTV

How do you spot a Rangers fan in a crowd?

They look like one.

58 minutes ago, bennett said:

He can be physical but this dirty player label seemed to appear out of nowhere and somehow stuck, his record previous to Scotland does not show this.  There's plenty of dirty players in our game tho...

If a player is going to be singled out in every game then they will respond, it's human nature. Is trying to get a reaction/player sent off really any different from a player diving for a penalty?

Refs need to start doing their jobs here, rather than allowing a talented young player to be booted out of our game.

Brechin's Andy Jackson gets kicked all over the park every week as has been the case all through his footballing career .................. (a once promising international career cut short by injury ) ............ but he just gets up and gets on with it.  He doesn't elbow people , he doesn't stamp on their baws , he doesn't go around with a permanent sulk , he doesn't run to opposition supporters giving the GIRFUY when he scores , he doesn't try to con refs by feigning injury sneeking a peak to make sure the ref is sending off the opposition player. 

But he does play his heart out every week because he genuinely loves  football .............. for a tiny fraction of what Morellos earns . 

My heart goes out to poor wee Alfredo. 

Edited by theoriginalhedge