Celtic v Rangers: Mothering Sunday: Midday

2 minutes ago, Romeo said:
6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:
You do know that he’s looking at the Rangers support in the corner and the sign is directly at them, don’t you?

Imagine seeing you here...

Hello, hello.....

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You do know that he’s looking at the Rangers support in the corner and the sign is directly at them, don’t you?

The tiny few left of a very small away support allowed in? They must be delicate types.  Nothing is really happening there.  The figure to watch is Halliday, who basically ignores his own team mates speaking to him and walks from the half way line to Brown down in the corner to kick off a fight.

16 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

Those are his own clubs fans though? you cant gesture at your own fans? there are very few away fans for these games now.  Rangers fans - about 800/1,000 - are stuck away in the corner.

Note Halliday marching past his own players all the way towards Brown to kick things off.

He isn't gesturing at his own fans, he's gesturing (quite blatantly) at the 800 or so Rangers fans in the corner. But if we want to pretend that Brown was gesturing at his own fans (he wasn't), then one of Griffiths' bans was for doing exactly that away at Cowdenbeath in the Scottish Cup.

(https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/one-match-ban-offer-for-hibs-s-leigh-griffiths-after-gesture-to-his-own-fans-1-2047571)

2 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

The tiny few left of a very small away support allowed in? They must be delicate types.  Nothing is really happening there.  The figure to watch is Halliday, who basically ignores his own team mates speaking to him and walks from the half way line to Brown down in the corner to kick off a fight.

This was moments after the final whistle, almost no Rangers fan would've left the ground yet.

Edited by HibsFan

The game finishes in that corner Broony does the Broony to celebrate the victory.
The sevco fans and Halliday can't take it on and off the park.
Plus the lack of them on this thread proves my point but the sheep are doing a great job.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

So raising your arms at an opposition supporter is a ban? What about shooshing them after you score, is that a ban? Sometimes Celtic players run off in the general direction of the away supporters after they score because they are near the goals then celebrate in front of them at the corner flag, is that a ban?

Edited by The OP

4 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

He isn't gesturing at his own fans, he's gesturing (quite blatantly) at the 800 or so Rangers fans in the corner. But if we want to pretend that Brown was gesturing at his own fans (he wasn't), then one of Griffiths' bans was for doing exactly that away at Cowdenbeath in the Scottish Cup.

(https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/one-match-ban-offer-for-hibs-s-leigh-griffiths-after-gesture-to-his-own-fans-1-2047571)

This was moments after the final whistle, almost no Rangers fan would've left the ground yet.

I'd imagine standard procedure is to keep them back at least 15 minutes until all of the home fans have emptied.

3 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

They really are sensitive souls then? fans get wound up by players - especially when scoring a goal - continually.  How many incidents will occur this weekend that will never be cited?

At risk of repeating myself, the only incident that is really significant at all in that video is the actions of Halliday who basically kicked off a stramash having come all the way from the middle of the park, targeting a particular player.  Yet no one seems interested in that basic fact that is so clearly demonstrated in the video.

I've given you the information. There is a precedent of doing that gesture at fans getting you a retrospective ban.

You can dance around it and come up with hypotheticals if you wish, but I've told you why it's not unexpected that he's been cited.

Personally, I see no problem with doing that gesture to the crowd, but the precedent's there with Griffiths.

12 minutes ago, The OP said:

So raising your arms at an opposition supporter is a ban?

He's not just raising his arms at opposition supporters, as you're perfectly aware. He gives a GIRFUY gesture. This has earned players and managers retrospective bans in the past, so Brown can hardly be surprised if it happens to him too.

What about shooshing them after you score, is that a ban?

Hypothetical number one that doesn't relate to what I'm talking about.

Sometimes Celtic players run off in the general direction of the away supporters after they score because they are near the goals then celebrate in front of them at the corner flag, is that a ban?

Hypothetical number two that doesn't relate to what I'm talking about.

What about shooshing them after you score, is that a ban? Sometimes Celtic players run off in the general direction of the away supporters after they score because they are near the goals then celebrate in front of them at the corner flag, is that a ban?

Neither of them are worth retrospective bans, as you and I both full well know, because they aren't offensive gestures, as the GIRFUY is seen as being.

So you can go "well what about this much weaker example, is THAT a ban?" all you want, it doesn't stop what Brown did from being ban-worthy.

1 minute ago, HibsFan said:

He's not just raising his arms at opposition supporters, as you're perfectly aware. He gives a GIRFUY gesture. This has earned players and managers retrospective bans in the past, so Brown can hardly be surprised if it happens to him too.

Hypothetical number one that doesn't relate to what I'm talking about.

Hypothetical number two that doesn't relate to what I'm talking about.

Neither of them are worth retrospective bans, as you and I both full well know, because they aren't offensive gestures, as the GIRFUY is seen as being.

So you can go "well what about this much weaker example, is THAT a ban?" all you want, it doesn't stop what Brown did from being ban-worthy.

The GIRUY is in front of the Celtic support and in the general direction of the Celtic support. The GIRUY can mean yasss* or it might mean GIRUT but it wasn't aimed at the permaragers. 

*See for example old Scottish man playing bowls at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games

Don't think we should that upset by this.

Brown had his fun and as the Hibs fan pointed out there is a precedent for citing an offensive gesture to opposition fans, even your own fans if hes correct about Griffiths.  Has he been offered the 1 match ban that Griffiths offensive act received?

11 minutes ago, The OP said:

The GIRUY is in front of the Celtic support and in the general direction of the Celtic support. The GIRUY can mean yasss* or it might mean GIRUT but it wasn't aimed at the permaragers. 

*See for example old Scottish man playing bowls at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games

Honestly, give me strength.

The lengths your support will go to in order to try and make Celtic look blameless is quite remarkable.

The fact I'm finding myself having to break this down for you shows you're either being disingenuous or you actually believe Brown wasn't looking at the Rangers fans when he made that gesture.

Here's Scott Brown looking at the Celtic fans and celebrating with them:

5ca5ffd3635fb_Brown1.thumb.png.4cac89959f5a9058672637f2d1fde1dc.png

Here's Scott Brown, a second later, looking back at the Rangers end while giving it a 'GIRUT' gesture.

5ca5fff8c589d_Brown2.png.23588b75d2d5b3d2b6a4017cfc4fe354.png

It's okay to admit a Celtic player was in the wrong from time to time, you know?

Oh, and that Scottish bowls example (whatever the guy's intentions were) was absolutely framed by social media/the media as a GIRUT to the English, by the way.