Next Scotland Manager

14 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Clarke is probably the best of the Scottish options. I personally would have gone for somebody who’d successfully managed an international team before. It is clear that club and international management are two quite different beats. Will Clarke, known to be a world class coach, be as effective having less time to drill his players? He seems to do well in big ‘crunch’ games, which bodes well. I hope he doesn’t take any shite from the likes of Kieron Tierney who seem to find wee niggles around the international break but miraculously recover to play 90mins for their club. My only worry is he seems quite a stubborn type and my worry would be we may end up with another ‘Steven Fletcher’ type situation if he did take a tougher line.

I see what you are saying but Clarke feels like todays man. There aren't too many coaches who have caught up with the way the game is played now. 

I see what you are saying but Clarke feels like todays man. There aren't too many coaches who have caught up with the way the game is played now. 

Out of the Scottish candidates he’s head and shoulders above anybody else. Doesn’t guarantee he’ll be a success. While qualifying has perhaps never been so easy it comes down to two one off games we’d be perfectly capable of ballsing up regardless of who’s in charge.

As much as it looks like we'll have Clarke, I still can't help myself expecting them to announce Gemmill :lol:

It would almost be worth it if they did just to see the reaction.

On 18/05/2019 at 20:40, morrison1982 said:

Pretty sure McLeish was welcomed the first time, as well. He'd had a bad season to finish at Rangers, but he had a pretty good track record up to then and even that bad season didn't look so bad when Le Guen came in and made a right hash of it. Also there was a feeling that McLeish was a "safe pair of hands" to keep going with the momentum started by Smith in the Euro 2008 qualifiers.

Strachan was universally welcomed - the TA had put up a "Strachan SOS" banner at Levein's last game.

strachan_2371757b.jpg

I welcomed the appointment of Strachan, as I'm sure did many. But your evidence of the entire TA backing WGS based on three guys brandishing a homemade banner made from wallpaper is flimsy...

Clarke is the man just now, he ticks almost every box for me. 

Agree with the concerns around him potentially falling out with players but I think he would get the backing of the TA by taking the strongest possible stance on the Tierneys etc who pull out with a fractured eyelash then play with their clubs on the Saturday, fack the lot of them.

I remember being quite excited about the Levein appointment and it didn't turn out well, it seems similar as he did a similar job with Dundee United as CLarke has done with Killie however you are hoping Clarke's experiences with Chelsea and Liverpool will prepare him for this jpb.