Next Scotland Manager

49 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Indeed but at the same time, what could he realistically do with Scotland?  It's a hiding to nothing.  I think if I was him I'd hold out for a job down south.  Continue as he is at Killie and one will undoubtedly come along.

The Scotland job is an absolutely massive opportunity for the right guy.  Aside from the hyperbolic pish, we are consistently pretty close to qualifying.  Granted, we always slip up, but how often have we been one result away from a playoff, or even qualifying?  Essentially, a manager only has to come in and make us slightly better, and they qualify us for a tournament, and essentially become a God in a Scottish footballing sense.

And that's not even counting that he just needs to win two games in a playoff next March.  This is probably the best time for someone to come into the job.  Fail this time, and it's likely going to be 2024 before we get another chance (I don't rate our chances of getting out a World Cup group)

12 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

We’re already in a playoff which will be against other sides in League C of the Nations League. It’s the most realistic shot at qualifying we’re ever going to get.

Unless your name is James McFadden, in which case it's merely a "free hit".

Clarke is kind of a no lose choice for the SFA here. Popular amongst the fans in general, likely to be cheaper than some of the other names mentioned, and has a relatively solid track record.

If it is him and it doesn't work, they won't get much abuse for the appointment.

As much as I'd be chuffed with Clark, if he says no then the SFA are yet again going to make a right arse of this as per. They have basically said that the front 3 runners for the job are Clarke, McInnes and Gemmell.

1. Clarke - Solid appointment but it's 50/50 if he'll accept the job.

2. McInnes - Just about everyone knew he wouldn't take the job at this stage, it was utterly pointless making him a top 3 contender.

3. Gemmell - Yes he's done ok but he's not what we need right now, it would not excite the fans and it will most certainly not have the full fans backing right from the off.

There is a BIG chance here that Clarke will knock back this job and where does that leave us? Right back where we were when O'Neill done the same, hiring a manager that no c*nt wants. How they havn't put the likes of Bilic and Advocaat into that mix is beyond me, well no it isn't actuallty because it's the SFA, complete and utter haddies.

45 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

As much as I'd be chuffed with Clark, if he says no then the SFA are yet again going to make a right arse of this as per. They have basically said that the front 3 runners for the job are Clarke, McInnes and Gemmell.

1. Clarke - Solid appointment but it's 50/50 if he'll accept the job.

2. McInnes - Just about everyone knew he wouldn't take the job at this stage, it was utterly pointless making him a top 3 contender.

3. Gemmell - Yes he's done ok but he's not what we need right now, it would not excite the fans and it will most certainly not have the full fans backing right from the off.

There is a BIG chance here that Clarke will knock back this job and where does that leave us? Right back where we were when O'Neill done the same, hiring a manager that no c*nt wants. How they havn't put the likes of Bilic and Advocaat into that mix is beyond me, well no it isn't actuallty because it's the SFA, complete and utter haddies.

Whilst I think it's likely that Clarke will accept the job, I've got to agree that the SFA would do well to stop feeding their wee bum chums in newspapers with info during these processes. They don't need to tell folk there's a shortlist of 3, they don't need to divulge any info at all on those three, and you'd think after so publicly going after O'Neill they'd have learned. If Clarke does turn it down the SFA are left with absolutely no credibility. Clubs tend not to put their top target out in the press for very obvious reasons, quite why the SFA see outing your top target in the media as some sort of excellent negotiating power is anyones guess.

Of the three still being linked (Clarke, McInnes, Gemmill), Clarke is the best candidate.

Clarke has done a remarkable job at Kilmarnock and has a decent track record in England. He is also a very well respected coach - you don't get to work with managers like Jose Mourinho and Kenny Dalglish if you're not a good coach. He also strikes me as a man who takes no shit, which is always a good attribute to have.

McInnes - has done a very good job with Aberdeen and seems very well regarded by people who have worked with him, but is this the right time for him to manage Scotland? It could be very Levein-esque.

Gemmill - the most disappointing and anti-climatic appointment possible.

I was in favour of Moyes, but the talk of him taking over seems to have died down.

McInnes has officially ruled himself out, so we are a Steve Clarke decision away from getting Scotland as our manager.
TBH I see him more as an unknown than a guaranteed disaster. However, I don't think we need an unknown right now.

Scot Gemmill would be the most cringe central 'let's do our own version of something that works in vastly different circumstances south of the border' Neil Doncastery type appointment possible.

18 minutes ago, Andre Bo said:

Scot Gemmill would be the most cringe central 'let's do our own version of something that works in vastly different circumstances south of the border' Neil Doncastery type appointment possible.

It's the next logical step after naming our leagues in the same daft fashion tbf.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I honestly think you’d have a sub 10,000 crowd for the Cyprus game if Scotland gets the gig. Hoofball is only justifiable if it works.

I doubt I'd bother going if Gemmill is appointed. And if Clarke gets the gig I'll definitely be there.