Next Scotland Manager

Just now, craigkillie said:
27 minutes ago, Andre Bo said:
'Them.'

Them is the SFA here, which I think is reasonable. "Us" would be a bit weird.

Like:

The Rangers board made right mess of appointing a manager. Took them ages to approach Derek McInnes without any back-up plan.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Can't say I'm arsed that McInnes isn't interested.  Moyes or Clarke are surely the only credible options left.

If it were to be Clarke, do you honestly believe he would allow the SFA to announce him 48 hrs before the biggest game in 20 odd years on Sunday ?

Also Gemmell costs the SFA nowt, compensation for Clarke would be a considerable amount under the terms of his new improved contract agreed with Billy Bowie last summer.

8 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

If it were to be Clarke, do you honestly believe he would allow the SFA to announce him 48 hrs before the biggest game in 20 odd years on Sunday ?

Also Gemmell costs the SFA nowt, compensation for Clarke would be a considerable amount under the terms of his new improved contract agreed with Billy Bowie last summer.

While accepting that Sunday is a reasonably big game, that's ridiculous hyperbole. Killie have been in League Cup finals (winning one of them), a relegation decider (v Falkirk, 2010) and a relegation play-off (v Falkirk again, 2016) during that time span. Unless Hearts beat Celtic at Hampden, both Aberdeen and Killie are going to qualify for Europe anyway.

You may not agree and I might not be popular amongst my fellow AFC support, but out of the 3, DM is far and away the best manager. Some fans just have a dislike of AFC or spout the “bottler” tag with no evidence to back it up.

Totally underrated what he has done for us and some of our support are in for a shock when he goes.

Just now, G-MAN said:

You may not agree and I might not be popular amongst my fellow AFC support, but out of the 3, DM is far and away the best manager. Some fans just have a dislike of AFC or spout the “bottler” tag with no evidence to back it up.

Really? Clarke has done two fair to reasonable jobs in England, while McInnes was a dud at Bristol City.

I would be worried that McInnes would be Craig Levein mk2 as Scotland manager, i.e. a good SPL manager promoted beyond his abilities.

Would take him over Gemmill, obviously.

Really? Clarke has done two fair to reasonable jobs in England, while McInnes was a dud at Bristol City.
I would be worried that McInnes would be Craig Levein mk2 as Scotland manager, i.e. a good SPL manager promoted beyond his abilities.
Would take him over Gemmill, obviously.

If Scotland need to “manage” a game I know who I’d rather have.

Our squad has changed over the years and personnel has led to a continued change in tactics, style (and unfortunately excitement) but still got results. Depends what you’re looking for I guess.

Let's be absolutely clear, if the SFA appoint Scot Gemmill it will rank amongst the worst decisions they have ever made (and there's a lot of competition).

They would be appointing a guy with absolutely no management experience at a senior level and with a less than sterling record as a youth team coach purely to save a few pennies.

Alan Nixon said a few days ago three were shortlisted, and two were at clubs, the clubs had been approached.

BBC report today the shortlist is Clarke, McInnes, Gemmill.

McInnes apparently tells board member at Aberdeen he'd turn the job down, assuming that conversation came after the SFA approached Aberdeen.

Its Clarke or Gemmill. Feels like a sliding doors moment for Scottish football, and I've horrible feeling I know whats coming.

I'm hopeful it is Steve Clarke because of his jobs at Kilmarnock and WBA in solidifying average teams and instilling confidence in them. Exactly what Scotland needs at this time.

So knowing the SFA, it will be Scot Gemmill.

24 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Let's be absolutely clear, if the SFA appoint Scot Gemmill it will rank amongst the worst decisions they have ever made (and there's a lot of competition).

They would be appointing a guy with absolutely no management experience at a senior level and with a less than sterling record as a youth team coach purely to save a few pennies.

Anyone who tries to justify a Gemmill appointment with "but look at what England did with Southgate" chat should be subject to severe legal penalties.

According to Sportound (I know, but they're usually accurate about the national team) earlier, it will be offered to Clarke, but if he turns it down Gemmill will take it.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

According to Sportound (I know, but they're usually accurate about the national team) earlier, it will be offered to Clarke, but if he turns it down Gemmill will take it.

Fingers crossed Steve Clarkes aware of the outcome if he rejects it. 

No real Scot would allow Scotland Gemmill to take charge of the National Team.