BoydiesBelly

Next Scotland Manager

23 hours ago, Estragon said:

This is an interesting debate, albeit one that has no real conclusion.  Whether the WC should be contested between the 32 best teams on the planet, or whether there should be attempts made to make it as globally diverse as possible.  FIFA, for now, seems to lean towards the latter, but both arguments have merit IMO.

Global diversity is all very well, but it doesn't change the fact that dross teams from North America, Asia and Oceania can get in while equally dross teams from South America and Europe haven't a hope in hell.

Either make it properly diverse (by I suppose completely randomising the qualifiers across the world) or make it properly based on merit (which would almost certainly give us a permanently closed shop).

34 minutes ago, nsr said:

Global diversity is all very well, but it doesn't change the fact that dross teams from North America, Asia and Oceania can get in while equally dross teams from South America and Europe haven't a hope in hell.

Either make it properly diverse (by I suppose completely randomising the qualifiers across the world) or make it properly based on merit (which would almost certainly give us a permanently closed shop).

Wouldn't that make it less diverse?  If the qualifiers were totally randomised I can't see how there'd ever be as many Asian/African/North American teams get there as do just now.

Anyway, there's little to worry about, the governing bodies continue to rehash these things with the sole motivation of getting Scotland back there.  Introduction of the NL/expansion to 48 at the WC.

4 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Wouldn't that make it less diverse?  If the qualifiers were totally randomised I can't see how there'd ever be as many Asian/African/North American teams get there as do just now.

It would give everyone the same chance of qualifying, which would be a very small chance if you weren't very good. That seems a bit fairer than an accident of geography.

While it might give us a better chance of qualifying, I can't really think of much less interesting than the World Cup becoming some international version of the Champions League, with the same nations - barring a few exceptions - playing every 4 years.  Tournaments are made more interesting by having unusual - and likely diddy - teams in it.  Purists can scoff all they want, and watch re-runs of some semi-final with one shot on target between two "giants", but I'd far rather watch a mental game between two unfancied sides.  The last Euros should have been proof of that.

If anything changes, make it a completely unseeded single-game knockout draw across the entire world.  

I don't see how making it fully international would mean that the same nations were involved every time. By that logic, the same nations would qualify every time from the individual continents, which doesn't happen. Under any system you could dream up, only a handful of the best countries would be immune from missing out.

Teams go through peaks and trophs naturally - it's not like club football where the richest clubs can just throw money at their problems. The Netherlands made the 2010 World Cup final and the 2014 semis, but managed to fail to qualify for a 24 team European Championship. Given their travails in World Cup qualifying, I doubt they would have had a great chance of making it regardless of what system was employed.

If anything, it would make the tournament more diverse. At the moment it is basically impossible for Argentina or Brazil not to qualify - they've had some utter dreck teams over previous campaigns but given that 5 of the 8 competent nations in South America qualify they make it anyway. The same goes for Mexico or Japan or South Korea.

I think there should be some spots allocated to the confederations (maybe about half of the total available spaces) to ensure that every continent is still represented in some way, but I'd also like to see much more in the way of international play-offs.

Edited by craigkillie

17 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I wouldn't say it's an absolute given that New Zealand will always win it - there are other countries who have the potential to run them close given a bit of luck.

New Caledonia beat them in the OFC Nations Cup in 2012 (which led to the farce of Tahiti playing at the Confederations Cup and getting pumped 10-0 by Spain). In the 2016 Nations Cup they only beat New Caledonia 1-0 in the semis and then beat Papua New Guinea on penalties in the final. Going further back, the Solomon Islands finished ahead of them in the 2006 World Cup Qualifying table (but lost to Australia in the final).

It's obviously not a perfect indicator, since some of their best players play overseas and some of the domestic ones play for Wellington in the A League, but both New Zealand sides were beaten in the OFC Champions League semi-finals by clubs from New Caledonia.

Everyone in Oceania is utter pish and it would definitely be beneficial for all parties if they were lumped in with Asia for qualifying. I've argued for a while that it would be better to only have 4 regions for qualifying - Europe, Africa, The Americas and Asia/Oceania, and to have several places decided by intercontinental play-offs.

The worst standard of football I've ever seen was the NZ top league. Truly abysmal fare, I think this seasons Falkirk could win that league at a canter and I consider them the worst professional team of all time.

Edited by ilostmyself

2 hours ago, forameus said:

While it might give us a better chance of qualifying, I can't really think of much less interesting than the World Cup becoming some international version of the Champions League, with the same nations - barring a few exceptions - playing every 4 years.  Tournaments are made more interesting by having unusual - and likely diddy - teams in it.  Purists can scoff all they want, and watch re-runs of some semi-final with one shot on target between two "giants", but I'd far rather watch a mental game between two unfancied sides.  The last Euros should have been proof of that.

True. For a while I was disappointed by WC 2018 due to the lack of unfancied diddy sides going on a mad run re Costa Rica and Algeria in 2014. Then I realised there was one: England!

1 hour ago, nsr said:

True. For a while I was disappointed by WC 2018 due to the lack of unfancied diddy sides going on a mad run re Costa Rica and Algeria in 2014. Then I realised there was one: England!

That got made up for by traditional fancied sides being utter mince.  Germany's complete bedshitting was glorious, Argentina were a mess, Brazil never really looked quite at it.  They're hardly a diddy, but you could add Croatia to the list of unfancied sides given how far they got.

I'm quite looking forward to a 48 team tournament to be honest.  I can completely understand why people would be against it, but it'll probably mean we get a couple more big sides dealing out an absolute dicking in some games, and maybe some wee teams upsetting the odds.  And one more round of "oh f**k we're going out" knockout games.  We should do away with Euros qualification and just chuck everyone in.  Fucking yass.

Getting a bit close to the games now, isn’t it?

Yeah I'd expect we need someone in in time for the squad to be picked and announced (probably 24th May-ish)

On 4/28/2019 at 15:27, SlipperyP said:

5cc563e2a2bf3_Screenshot(23).thumb.png.0d26191c382772fd86fd6014c55769ea.png

^^^ Last Sunday

5ccf93ac167ab_Screenshot(36).thumb.png.2d03a8ac197aa0ae000f0c53499b841d.png

McInnes on the move & Clarke drifting.  Also Maloney on shortening....Obviously Dick odds have been smashed with him speaking to the Daily Rangers last week. 

On 06/05/2019 at 02:56, SlipperyP said:

^^^ Last Sunday

5ccf93ac167ab_Screenshot(36).thumb.png.2d03a8ac197aa0ae000f0c53499b841d.png

McInnes on the move & Clarke drifting.  Also Maloney on shortening....Obviously Dick odds have been smashed with him speaking to the Daily Rangers last week. 

After speaking to those lovely Killie fans on the Rangers page here

I am now one hundred per cent fully backing Steve Clarke

To wipe those gapped tooth and buck toothed smiles off there faces

And they wont be so chirpy if he takes it and the players leave faster than woodland creatures escaping a forrest fire

Any chance the mods can boot this numpty into row z before we all die of boredom?

1 minute ago, velo army said:

Any chance the mods can boot this numpty into row z before we all die of boredom?

Flawless record with the mods

I can offer a opinion as much as anybody else here

And laugh my arse off at what happens next to if he takes it next year for Killie

When they appoint another pish choice as boss

Steve Clarke has to be the number choice now.  Already was on credentials for me but now he's talking about wanting to go back to London for family reasons.  He could easily manage the national team from London.  Realistically, it's the biggest job available or soon to be available that he's likely to get if he wants to move back to England.  Perfect for everyone.

So I expect the SFA to completely ignore all this and give Scot Gemmill the job.

Edited by RobbieD

1 minute ago, RobbieD said:

Steve Clarke has to be the number choice now.  Already was on credentials for me but now he's talking about wanting to go back to London for family reasons.  He could easily manage the national team from London.  Realistically, it's the biggest job available or soon to be available that he's likely to get if he wants to move back to England.  Perfect for everyone.

So I expect the SFA to completely ignore all this and give Scot Gemmill the job.

Sounds about right with the SFA 

Last guy we went for in a job was Burley

Its usually the cheap options they want

Clarke would be good though

Got the chops for it if he stands up to clubs 

And even gets stricter with the players

Tells them to play on 3G or not at all

49 minutes ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Flawless record with the mods

I can offer a opinion as much as anybody else here

And laugh my arse off at what happens next to if he takes it next year for Killie

When they appoint another pish choice as boss

21 minutes ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Sounds about right with the SFA 

Last guy we went for in a job was Burley

Its usually the cheap options they want

Clarke would be good though

Got the chops for it if he stands up to clubs 

And even gets stricter with the players

Tells them to play on 3G or not at all

Your poems are pish

Well considering Alex McLeish managed the national team from the pub, I'd say you're onto something there.