BoydiesBelly

Next Scotland Manager

9 minutes ago, Kuro said:

The problem is countries like them and Australia and the USA have more right than countries like Scotland who have a much more difficult route.  You're correct it should be the same right, but it's not.  Uefa countries are discriminated against.

This is an interesting debate, albeit one that has no real conclusion.  Whether the WC should be contested between the 32 best teams on the planet, or whether there should be attempts made to make it as globally diverse as possible.  FIFA, for now, seems to lean towards the latter, but both arguments have merit IMO.

16 hours ago, Caley Shaun said:

Marc Wilmots under consideration so, surely he will become the new favourite soon because his pedigree is better than Bruce Arena.  In fact, if he's on the shortlist as The Sun report then, he must be favourite ahead of Steve Clarke or second favourite just behind Steve. 

I would be happy with Marc Wilmots but his lack of English would be a worry. 

A lack of anything English is never a bad thing. 

16 minutes ago, Estragon said:

This is an interesting debate, albeit one that has no real conclusion.  Whether the WC should be contested between the 32 best teams on the planet, or whether there should be attempts made to make it as globally diverse as possible.  FIFA, for now, seems to lean towards the latter, but both arguments have merit IMO.

I prefer the latter personally, for the same reasons as I'd rather less of the "top 4 from each of the top leagues" entering into the champions league. Some people would rather see an effectively closed shop in the CL but with better teams. I'd rather more variation of teams to keep it interesting, and its the same as the world cup. I think the number of people that share my views on that, especially the CL bit, are slowly fading away mind. 

13 hours ago, IggyStooge said:

I believe John Hughes was knocked back for this very reason.

I shree what you did there.

38 minutes ago, Kuro said:

He won a tournament over six games with Germany.  The rest of his entire managerial career is mediocre.

So Euro 96 was an easy tourny for Germany then aye? We know the rest of his career isn't the best but he won that in 96 which is more than Moyes has ever done, that's the point several people have tried pointing out to you.

48 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Having a look at the qualifiers, Austria have also had a terrible start, losing 4-2 away to Israel, who we all know about. I think Israel are a dark horse here. They were very impressive against us in the Nations League. They will have been disappointed to draw at home to Slovenia though, I'd imagine. 

No, they weren't impressive.  Scotland were just god awful.  

10 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

When the SFA interview potential managers the first question should be, how would you deal with this nonsense?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48135621

Anyone who is unable to give an adequate response can be thanked for their time and shown out immediately.

What would your answer be?

3 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Presumably; don't have the operation that trained medical staff and your employers have advised you that you need.  Instead, go away and play football for free and risk further injury.  

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

It's slightly beside the point but my answer would include:

• Discuss with the club (Celtic) why, if the surgery is required and important, is the player still being used in club matches.
  • Discuss with the club manager (Lennon) why the player’s availability for future Scotland matches is being discussed regularly with the press whilst the player remains fit and available for club games (assuming the club isn’t having regular discussions regarding the injury with the SFA).
  • Discuss with the player (Tierney) his recent call offs and assess his views to playing for Scotland.

I’m not asking for any lines to be drawn in the sand (eg if Tierney pulls out the squad he won’t be called up again) but, I would like to know a managers approach and thoughts on players prioritising club football over international. Even if you’re not bothered by this issue you have to recognise the press will ask any Scotland manager endless questions about it, so surely you would want to gauge their opinion on it.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Presumably; don't have the operation that trained medical staff and your employers have advised you that you need.  Instead, go away and play football for free and risk further injury.  

The operation is recommended but can't be critical as the article indicates Tierney will play for Celtic this weekend in a relatively unimportant game. They are 9 points ahead with 3 games remaining and clearly don't need him to win the league.

If I was a Celtic fan I'd be questioning why the club were risking further injury instead of ending his season now, allowing the surgery to take place immediately and giving him more time to get ready for Celtic's early European qualifiers.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

It's a fair point.

If he has to miss a few weeks this year, but can choose when and is keeping playing... why the Scotland internationals in early June, opposed to (say) the post-split fixtures, or mid-June to early/mid-July i.e. initial part of Celtic's pre-season.

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Or: have the operation now instead of playing more (meaningless) club matches while injured. Come back in time for the Scotland games and then have a full summer off.

8 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Or: have the operation now instead of playing more (meaningless) club matches while injured. Come back in time for the Scotland games and then have a full summer off.

if he has the 3-4 week operation now he would definitely miss the cup final and would be doubtful for the Scotland games anyway.

That's accepting the dubious notion that Celtic's remaining league games are meaningless. It wouldn't take a ridiculous series of results for the league title to go to the final day. The only unlikely one is Aberdeen beating Celtic on Saturday, given Aberdeen's lack of form and injury problems. If Rangers then win their following two games (at home v Hibs and Celtic) they would be three points behind Celtic, but with a better goal difference, going into the final round.

Edited by morrison1982

3 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

I prefer the latter personally, for the same reasons as I'd rather less of the "top 4 from each of the top leagues" entering into the champions league. Some people would rather see an effectively closed shop in the CL but with better teams. I'd rather more variation of teams to keep it interesting, and its the same as the world cup. I think the number of people that share my views on that, especially the CL bit, are slowly fading away mind. 

The aim of any qualification tournament should be to.identify the best teams.  Nothing more. 

Even if you don't agree with that you must agree any sporting event has to be fair, you don't say to golfers well golf isn't very big in your country so you can play from fees fifty yards in front of tiger woods cause it's massive in his. 

It's corruption pure and simple, they are just buying votes to stay in their positions.  UEFA is heavily discriminated against for being good and making the game what it is and it's just not fair.  I

All I want is for Scotland to be given an equal chance to anyone else not preferential treatment, and that clearly isn't the case right now.

3 hours ago, M0rtonfc said:

So Euro 96 was an easy tourny for Germany then aye? We know the rest of his career isn't the best but he won that in 96 which is more than Moyes has ever done, that's the point several people have tried pointing out to you.

The point is nonsense.  I can't even be bothered explaining to you.  Moyes record shits all over vogts.

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

They can shedule it.whenever they want don't be so naive.  He could have it now but is delaying it to play for celtic, he could delay it to play for Scotland too but Celtic want him back for their qualifier against a team from Iceland or something.  My answer would be no problem, take the next three years off Scotland duty make sure.you're properly rested.

2 hours ago, morrison1982 said:

if he has the 3-4 week operation now he would definitely miss the cup final and would be doubtful for the Scotland games anyway.

That's accepting the dubious notion that Celtic's remaining league games are meaningless. It wouldn't take a ridiculous series of results for the league title to go to the final day. The only unlikely one is Aberdeen beating Celtic on Saturday, given Aberdeen's lack of form and injury problems. If Rangers then win their following two games (at home v Hibs and Celtic) they would be three points behind Celtic, but with a better goal difference, going into the final round.

Shut up, Celtic need one point from three games.  They don't need Tierney for that.

8 hours ago, nsr said:

It was bad enough when Australia were still in Oceania as at least New Zealand could occasionally give them a game. Now giving Oceania a guaranteed spot is identical to giving New Zealand a bye into the tournament.

If WC places were actually decided on the merit of the continents' performances, you'd be looking at almost all of South America plus half of Europe. Africa, North America and Asia would have a couple of teams each. Oceania could get in the ocean.

I wouldn't say it's an absolute given that New Zealand will always win it - there are other countries who have the potential to run them close given a bit of luck.

New Caledonia beat them in the OFC Nations Cup in 2012 (which led to the farce of Tahiti playing at the Confederations Cup and getting pumped 10-0 by Spain). In the 2016 Nations Cup they only beat New Caledonia 1-0 in the semis and then beat Papua New Guinea on penalties in the final. Going further back, the Solomon Islands finished ahead of them in the 2006 World Cup Qualifying table (but lost to Australia in the final).

It's obviously not a perfect indicator, since some of their best players play overseas and some of the domestic ones play for Wellington in the A League, but both New Zealand sides were beaten in the OFC Champions League semi-finals by clubs from New Caledonia.

Everyone in Oceania is utter pish and it would definitely be beneficial for all parties if they were lumped in with Asia for qualifying. I've argued for a while that it would be better to only have 4 regions for qualifying - Europe, Africa, The Americas and Asia/Oceania, and to have several places decided by intercontinental play-offs.

Wtf I'd the sfa actually doing, how long is this now?

Nobody interviewed (as far as we know) games imminent.

The whole timeline and process is a joke.

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Wtf I'd the sfa actually doing, how long is this now?

Nobody interviewed (as far as we know) games imminent.

The whole timeline and process is a joke.

If I was to put a tin hat on they're probably hoping Malkkky somehow oversees us swording someone and can use that as an excuse to overlook his blatant unsuitability to be a member of society and appoint him on the cheap.