BoydiesBelly

Next Scotland Manager

Arena would be a disaster, he's a yesterday's man with no experience of European football. He was running the UEFA qualifiers down recently before he failed to qualify from the free pass that is CONCACAF as recently as 18 months ago.

10 hours ago, nsr said:

Perhaps, but I wouldn't want us to qualify for something and automatically assume all of our problems are sorted and everything is rosy again. We've seen teams like Hungary and Albania reach the Euros in recent years and they haven't exactly cracked on since.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from.  

For me one of the most important things is getting people to actually want to represent us again, to see a call-up to the Scotland squad as a good thing, an honour.  I'm not sure it really is to anyone anymore.  England were the same, but suddenly after a wee bit of success things look better for them.  If we manage to improve that a little, and then qualify for a tournament, maybe younger players start seeing us as a pinnacle to reach, rather than a hindrance that stops you taking your holidays.

5 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Let’s not speak ill of the 1996 Germany team, please 

I’m sure they all occupy a special place in our hearts 

TxNW79RV63DRqb2LAjYrxxbOGglMq8b-8SfWMAmUXMc.jpg

The USA qualifying for a Word Cup is probably the least impressive feat you can achieve in international football.

Has to be Stevie Clarke, if the sfa c***s have any ambitions at all. An up & coming manager, passionate too aboot his country.

Mind you Stevie likes to speak his mind & the sfa don't really like anyone wi the potential to step outta line.

1 minute ago, The Elephant & Castle said:

Has to be Stevie Clarke, if the sfa c***s have any ambitions at all. An up & coming manager, passionate too aboot his country.

Mind you Stevie likes to speak his mind & the sfa don't really like anyone wi the potential to step outta line.

Craig Levein didn't suddenly grow a personality after he was punted?? :lol:

22 minutes ago, The Elephant & Castle said:

"Up and coming", he's 55, same age as Moyes.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

The USA qualifying for a Word Cup is probably the least impressive feat you can achieve in international football.

Also Australia, total skoosh.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

New Zealand qualifying for the World Cup would respectfully disagree 

18 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

You didn't realise he won euro 96 did you

I had no idea about that tbf. 

I was fairly young when we appointed Vogts, you'd think appointing a manager who had so recently won a tournament would be a coup but I'm sure I remember the press being dicks about it. 

Bruce Arena :lol:

Aye SFA, appoint a fucking hopeless foreign manager so you can justify refusing to entertain non-Scots for the 10 years after hes inevitably punted.

2 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

"Up and coming", he's 55, same age as Moyes.

Age has nothing tae do with it, Clarke's been an assistant coach most of his non-playing career, Killie is only his 3rd manager position, has been a caretaker manager a couple of times too. Point is he's no really one o the boys on the managerial merry.go.round and might be a right good kick up the arse the national team needs

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

Craig Levein didn't suddenly grow a personality after he was punted?? :lol:

f**k Levein, anyone who starts a 4-6-0 v Czech republic certainly has no personality

30 minutes ago, The Elephant & Castle said:

Age has nothing tae do with it, Clarke's been an assistant coach most of his non-playing career, Killie is only his 3rd manager position, has been a caretaker manager a couple of times too. Point is he's no really one o the boys on the managerial merry.go.round and might be a right good kick up the arse the national team needs

He's managed in the English Premiership. He's 55. He isn't up and coming..........

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

New Zealand qualifying for the World Cup would respectfully disagree 

New Zealand hardly ever qualify for the World Cup because they generally have to beat a much bigger nation from another continent in a play-off.

Marc Wilmots under consideration so, surely he will become the new favourite soon because his pedigree is better than Bruce Arena.  In fact, if he's on the shortlist as The Sun report then, he must be favourite ahead of Steve Clarke or second favourite just behind Steve. 

I would be happy with Marc Wilmots but his lack of English would be a worry.