BoydiesBelly

Next Scotland Manager

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

New Zealand qualifying for the World Cup would respectfully disagree 

New Zealand hardly ever qualify for the World Cup because they generally have to beat a much bigger nation from another continent in a play-off.

Marc Wilmots under consideration so, surely he will become the new favourite soon because his pedigree is better than Bruce Arena.  In fact, if he's on the shortlist as The Sun report then, he must be favourite ahead of Steve Clarke or second favourite just behind Steve. 

I would be happy with Marc Wilmots but his lack of English would be a worry. 

Was Wilmots not perceived as a bit of a failure with Belgium given the players he had?

7 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Was Wilmots not perceived as a bit of a failure with Belgium given the players he had?

Yeah.

There’s a large number of people advocating any old manager who has prior international experience - regardless of how good they actually were.

11 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

A relative failure perhaps, but he still took them to the quarter-finals of the World Cup and the Euros.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

Are you just going to dismiss every manager touted!!?  Wilmots would be a great appointment for us, especially if he adds a Scot to his coaching team. 

Its ridiculous how every manager gets dismissed due to "being a failure" elsewhere, ffs, we had MCLEISH who is worse than Bruce Arena and Marc Wilmots combined!! 

19 minutes ago, Caley Shaun said:

Are you just going to dismiss every manager touted!!?  Wilmots would be a great appointment for us, especially if he adds a Scot to his coaching team. 

Its ridiculous how every manager gets dismissed due to "being a failure" elsewhere, ffs, we had MCLEISH who is worse than Bruce Arena and Marc Wilmots combined!! 

As mentioned many times previously being better than mcleish is not a reason to appoint a manager. Jim duffy would have been better than mcleish.

Wilmots was not good, couldn't get a brilliant team playing well. He would be a honking appointment. 

A relative failure perhaps, but he still took them to the quarter-finals of the World Cup and the Euros.

Where they got beaten by Wales. No thank you.

3 hours ago, Caley Shaun said:

I would be happy with Marc Wilmots but his lack of English would be a worry. 

I believe John Hughes was knocked back for this very reason.

Absolutely none of the names being linked at the minute fill me with anything close to confidence. If we can’t get Steve Clarke or Bilic jist close the doors IMO.

New Zealand hardly ever qualify for the World Cup because they generally have to beat a much bigger nation from another continent in a play-off.
Not from 2026 they won't. I expect a lot of players will find New Zealander grannies every four years.

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 23:53, Kuro said:

Of course I did.  Google his managerial record.  

:lol::lol::lol::lol: 

10 hours ago, IggyStooge said:

I believe John Hughes was knocked back for this very reason.

Hahaha had a right good chuckle at that one, have a greenie, good sir!

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
16 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Not from 2026 they won't. I expect a lot of players will find New Zealander grannies every four years.

It was bad enough when Australia were still in Oceania as at least New Zealand could occasionally give them a game. Now giving Oceania a guaranteed spot is identical to giving New Zealand a bye into the tournament.

If WC places were actually decided on the merit of the continents' performances, you'd be looking at almost all of South America plus half of Europe. Africa, North America and Asia would have a couple of teams each. Oceania could get in the ocean.

Edited by nsr

Marc Wilmots would be a genuinely stinking appointment. 

As time goes on, the more confident  I am that it'll be the racist or Moyesie. 

So what if Oceania is utter dross? That's not New Zealand's fault and they all have the same right to the competition as any other country.

Said for ages we should apply to qualify through Oceania.

2 hours ago, M0rtonfc said:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: 

He won a tournament over six games with Germany.  The rest of his entire managerial career is mediocre.

6 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

So what if Oceania is utter dross? That's not New Zealand's fault and they all have the same right to the competition as any other country.

Said for ages we should apply to qualify through Oceania.

The problem is countries like them and Australia and the USA have more right than countries like Scotland who have a much more difficult route.  You're correct it should be the same right, but it's not.  Uefa countries are discriminated against.

Having a look at the qualifiers, Austria have also had a terrible start, losing 4-2 away to Israel, who we all know about. I think Israel are a dark horse here. They were very impressive against us in the Nations League. They will have been disappointed to draw at home to Slovenia though, I'd imagine.