Jump to content
BoydiesBelly

Next Scotland Manager

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, forameus said:

I hope we're seeing this big game of one-upmanship from everyone interested in the job.  Bilic turning up at the Pyramid Playoff, only to find out that Wilmots is at some field a million miles from anywhere watching an 18th tier juniors game.

Too bad Fort William finished up for the season today otherwise Advocaat would have been at their next home game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/04/2019 at 14:21, Kuro said:

Real Madrid are the biggest supported team in the world and could buy Man Utd tomorrow.  There's no dispute, they are by far the world's number one club.  Thirteen CL wins doesn't lie, all the best players in the world, every transfer record.  Man Utd aren't even close to them, not even in the same league.  You won't see Ashley fucking Young captaining Real Madrid any time soon.  Man Utd aren't even second.

Remind me again, was it Real Madrid or Man Utd that just won the CL for the third time in a row?

 

 

Yup, you’ve don’t leave this island that often clearly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RobbieD said:

Yup, you’ve don’t leave this island that often clearly

Lol I proved you wrong already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The planets have aligned, Cardiff are FEENEESHED, Gremlin-faced doyenne of the English game and lover of all things Cowal Peninsula Neil Warnock is coming to enjoy semiretirement in Dunoon with the Scotland job. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kuro said:

Lol I proved you wrong already.

Your definition of proving people wrong is hilarious.

Do you even have a passport? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RobbieD said:

Your definition of proving people wrong is hilarious.

Do you even have a passport? 

I've spent years abroad actually.  Why do Real Madrid have 87 million more social media fans than Man Utd?  I believe the internet isn't just in the UK.  It's not even close, have you been to South America?  Man Utd are nothing there, Real Madrid are massive.  You're an idiot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barcelona have 76 million more social media fans than Man Utd.  Man Utd aren't even the second biggest club in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At present, the only Scottish manager I would like is Steve Clarke, but I'm pretty certain once he's done at Killie, he's away back down south.

So from that end, we need to go foreign. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

At present, the only Scottish manager I would like is Steve Clarke, but I'm pretty certain once he's done at Killie, he's away back down south.

So from that end, we need to go foreign. 

Yes, but it will never happen. If it's not Clarke then it will be the racist or Moyesie *shudder*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kuro said:

I've spent years abroad actually.  Why do Real Madrid have 87 million more social media fans than Man Utd?  I believe the internet isn't just in the UK.  It's not even close, have you been to South America?  Man Utd are nothing there, Real Madrid are massive.  You're an idiot.

 

12 hours ago, Kuro said:

Barcelona have 76 million more social media fans than Man Utd.  Man Utd aren't even the second biggest club in the world.

This is just brilliant so it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

 

This is just brilliant so it is.

Unless you've got upwards of 50 million social media followers, you can't judge, M9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 12:13, craigkillie said:

This is nonsense from start to finish.

Moyes took over from Gary Peters with Preston sitting in the bottom half of the Second Division (now League 1). He led them to a 5th placed finish and a play-off defeat in his first full season, then won the league at a canter in his second. The next year, he led them to 4th in the First Division (now Championship) and lost in the play-off final. When he left Preston in the March of the following season, they were sitting just outside the play-off places.

When he took over from Walter Smith at Everton, they were only outside the relegation places on goal difference, and had finished in the top half of the table just once in the last 10 years. He kept them up and took them to 7th the following season. He then struggled the following season and only just kept them up, but bounced back from that to lead them to 4th place in the table and a Champions League spot. He was there for a further eight seasons, and finished in the top 6 on another five occasions, only finishing in the bottom half (11th) once.

This why I would absolutely take Moyes and can't see why folk are against him.

After leaving Everton he took over Man United and replaced probably the greatest manager of all time. If I remember rightly, he was only able to sign Marouane Fellaini. Van Gaal and Mourinho have been there since and not fared much better. He then had a go in Spain and didn't do too badly IMO. Yes he was sacked but managers are punted all the time over there. He then went to Sunderland who have been a complete basket case of a club for years. Finally, he went to West Ham with the remit simply being to keep them up which he achieved with relative ease.

Anyone who thinks Moyes wouldn't be an improvement on our last few managers is at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Anyone who thinks Moyes wouldn't be an improvement on our last few managers is at it.

While that's obviously true, there's a fucking massive chasm between "our last few managers" and "actually qualifying for a major tournament".  We need to be making sure that the next appointment isn't just "och, he's better than McLeish" and is actually going to be a marked improvement.

Not to say that Moyes wouldn't be, mind.  Personally I've just always seen it as a meh appointment at best, and something about having him in the role doesn't quite sit right.  To be fair, I thought the same about Strachan when he first came in, and by the end (either the first, second or actual real end) I was ready to defend him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very fair point.

Fact is McLeish, Smith, Strachan and McLeish again were also out-of-work former EPL and/or OF managers.

As you say the benchmark isn't similar predecessors but qualifying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seen yesterday in The Sunday Mail that Bruce Arena is in contention and that Ian Maxwell will take his credentials seriously so, he'd be my foreign choice along with Darren Fletcher as assistant :). 

I still think the only Scottish candidate that can be appointed is Steve Clarke but, I think it's likely to be David Moyes as he was at Celtic v Kilmarnock and Rangers v Aberdeen plus one other at the weekend.  I am not sure if I would be happy with him though because his record is mixed, at PNE and Everton he was very successful, at Utd and Sunderland he was nothing sort of dreadful but, to be fair to him, Sir Alex was a tough act to follow at Utd and Sunderland is a poisoned chalice, even Jack Ross is discovering that just now.  And at Sociedad, I believe he wasn't given enough time to get things right, and finally, at WHU he was average but did keep them up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we have  a habit of judging Scottish managers more harshly than foreign ones. Moyes was pish with Man Utd in the same way that Van Gaal or Mourinho were. The way he conducted himself at Everton bodes well for Scotland. He was old school and demanded hard work from his players. He was also highly organised. He would be my first choice. It's fuckin weird that anyone would choose Bilic over him, or even any other foreign choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, velo army said:

I think we have  a habit of judging Scottish managers more harshly than foreign ones. Moyes was pish with Man Utd in the same way that Van Gaal or Mourinho were. The way he conducted himself at Everton bodes well for Scotland. He was old school and demanded hard work from his players. He was also highly organised. He would be my first choice. It's fuckin weird that anyone would choose Bilic over him, or even any other foreign choice. 

So we have a manager who has actual experience of International management, while at the same time being a nation who has proved that you can't necessarily just put a decent club manager in and get success, and it's "fuckin weird" that anyone would choose Bilic in those circumstances?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, forameus said:

So we have a manager who has actual experience of International management, while at the same time being a nation who has proved that you can't necessarily just put a decent club manager in and get success, and it's "fuckin weird" that anyone would choose Bilic in those circumstances?

Aye I was pished when I posted that. I take back the "fuckin weird" bit. One thing I keep forgetting (and others too) is that Moyes has continually distanced himself from the Scotland job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...