BoydiesBelly

Next Scotland Manager

8 minutes ago, Kuro said:

The thing is he only needs to rebuild his reputation in your eyes.  And maybe you're wrong.  I don't think he's done a bad job in any job he's ever had, and is an extremely competent manager.  He would be a very solid appointment, and on paper the best manager we've had since Alex Ferguson and Stein before him.

Interesting fact about Moyes his dad was manager at Petershill or something for fkn years.  

Yeah, the thing about posting something like I did on an internet forum is that *GASP* it's my opinion.  So I imagine anything I said would be "in my eyes".  Really well spotted though, you clever thing.

Just like you saying that you don't think he's done a bad job in any job he's ever had.  In your eyes.  And maybe you're wrong.  Particularly since having left Everton, he's only left 2 jobs of his own accord, and been sacked from the rest.  Even Sunderland is questionable, as he initially said he wanted to stay (having spent most of the season telling every media source that there was no way the club he was managing wasn't going to get relegated) before "resigning".  10 months into a 6 year contract at United.  1 year into an 18 month contract at Sociedad.    So aye, not bad there, right?

He has done some terrific jobs in the past, but let's not pretend like he's been anywhere close to what he's capable of for years.  One OK job at West Ham doesn't change that.

Edited by forameus

Just now, forameus said:

Yeah, the thing about posting something like I did on an internet forum is that *GASP* it's my opinion.  So I imagine anything I said would be "in my eyes".  Really well spotted though, you clever thing.

Just like you saying that you don't think he's done a bad job in any job he's ever had.  In your eyes.  And maybe you're wrong.  Particularly since having left Everton, he's left half of his own accord, and been sacked from the rest.  Sunderland is questionable, as he initially said he wanted to stay (having spent most of the season telling every media source that there was no way the club he was managing wasn't going to get relegated) before "resigning".  10 months into a 6 year contract at United.  1 year into an 18 month contract at Sociedad.    So aye, not bad there, right?

He has done some terrific jobs in the past, but let's not pretend like he's been anywhere close to what he's capable of for years.  One OK job at West Ham doesn't change that.

Sunderland got relegated from the Championship the following season.  Sociedad he was mid table after a few months in a new country.  These aren't bad jobs he's done.  All managers get sacked its part of the job.

Advocaat getting the job then swiftly proceeding to select no rangers players would provoke a delicious level of headsgones from a certain section.

Make it happen.

Interestingly enough, people on here saying Moyes did a bad job at at Sunderland as he got them relegated fro m the premiership so that means he shouldn't manage Scotland.  Well, Chris Coleman, who the year before had taken Wales to the semis of the Euros, was the manager who got them relegated from the Championship the following season.  

It's almost as if club management and international management require different skill sets.

12 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It's almost as if club management and international management require different skill sets.

Actually no, it's actually that Sunderland were an utter shambles and Guardoila wouldn't have kept them up, so Moyes getting relegated with them is no reflection at all on his abilities.

34 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Interestingly enough, people on here saying Moyes did a bad job at at Sunderland as he got them relegated fro m the premiership so that means he shouldn't manage Scotland.  Well, Chris Coleman, who the year before had taken Wales to the semis of the Euros, was the manager who got them relegated from the Championship the following season.  

Sometimes managers are just a good fit for a certain job. Coleman has a patchy club record but was a tremendous manager for Wales and could have been Wales manager for life if he wanted to.

9 hours ago, Stelling said:

Advocaat getting the job then swiftly proceeding to select no rangers players would provoke a delicious level of headsgones from a certain section.

Make it happen.

There are almost no Rangers players to pick. McGregor and Jack are the only Scottish first team regulars, with Halliday popping up every now and then.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There are almost no Rangers players to pick. McGregor and Jack are the only Scottish first team regulars, with Halliday popping up every now and then.

McRorie will start to be.picked as a squad player soon.  After McTominay he's probably the next best DM we have right now.  They also might sign one or two this summer llike John Souttar.

Edited by Kuro

3 hours ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

Sometimes managers are just a good fit for a certain job. Coleman has a patchy club record but was a tremendous manager for Wales and could have been Wales manager for life if he wanted to.

Exactly.  That's why I'm not overly bothered by who gets it unless it's Malky. How many times have highly touted gone to another job and failed miserably? And vice versa . It just clicks sometimes 

Edited by swing_kinker

Exactly.  That's why I'm not overly bothered by who gets it unless it's Malky. How many times have highly touted gone to another job and failed miserably? And vice versa . It just clicks sometimes 
I've been saying this for years.

The amount of unknowns in football is massive. Yes you want to use good judgement and look at the evidence to try and get a good fit. Certain teams and nations do better with certain managerial and tactical styles.

But absolutely nothing is guaranteed. There's too many variables.

I think a Brendan Rodgers type manager would be terrible for Scotland but you never know. I think we need the type who can organise a team well, get the most out of average players, and somehow still create an attacking option that gives us a chance to score goals and play with a wee touch of swagger.

It's like searching for the holy grail.

17 minutes ago, swing_kinker said:

On paper (at the time of their appointments) Levein and Burley both looked very decent appointments and I don't think too many people were disappointed.

However, it turned out that doing good work at club level doesn't necessarily mean they're suited to international management. 

David Moyes at both Celtic v Kilmarnock, and St Mirren v St Johnstone, you could argue hes just going to games for something to do, but who would choose St Mirren v St Johnstone for enjoyment...

David Moyes at both Celtic v Kilmarnock, and St Mirren v St Johnstone, you could argue hes just going to games for something to do, but who would choose St Mirren v St Johnstone for enjoyment...

I doubt he’d be going to that game to scout which St Johnstone players he will ignore.

3 hours ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

On paper (at the time of their appointments) Levein and Burley both looked very decent appointments and I don't think too many people were disappointed.

However, it turned out that doing good work at club level doesn't necessarily mean they're suited to international management. 

But then again they might be at another country at another time which is my point.  Just sometimes click and other times it doesn't 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

They put up a caption Sky Sports that he had been managed by Billy McNeill, so he might have decided to head along for that game and then just taking up a second one because he could.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They put up a caption Sky Sports that he had been managed by Billy McNeill, so he might have decided to head along for that game and then just taking up a second one because he could.

Probably, Michael O'Neill was at the match too, but his link with the two managers is obvious. 

I hope we're seeing this big game of one-upmanship from everyone interested in the job.  Bilic turning up at the Pyramid Playoff, only to find out that Wilmots is at some field a million miles from anywhere watching an 18th tier juniors game.