Next Scotland Manager

Why is it that Steve Clarke is seen as a much better candidate than Davie Moyes? 

Clarkes organisation/structure to teams is being discussed as a strength and perhaps what we need and yet Moyes is being seen as backwards despite him basically making his career on they fundamentals.  Moyes obviously isn’t flavour of the month but apart from the poison chalace at Sunderland he’s actually done relatively well everywhere he’s been. Even his much maligned reign at Man Utd stands up to scrunity with precious recent managers post Ferguson. He has much more experience in front line management, articulates himself better , appears more enthusiastic and generally seems more positive than Steve Clarke. In summary: Moyes over Clarke for me. If that’s the choice. 

1 hour ago, forameus said:

A good foreign manager would.  I'm not saying that he'll be better because he's foreign, it's more a comment that if the SFA stick to their Scottish-only approach, then we have an absolute gang of shite on the list.

I don’t buy this. I see fans on here saying we have a better players than the likes of Northern Ireland and all we need is a decent manager. Then I look at that team who played Kazakhstan and I think those people talk shite. We have a load of okay midfielders and that’s about it. The new guy will have the same ropey defence and ‘keeper and the same lack of decent forwards to choose from. Good luck to him, he’ll need it.

4 minutes ago, Kilbowie Benches said:

David Wagner the ex Huddersfield manager?

Fresh ideas and a guy who’s used to organising shite players into a system?

I think he'll be holding out for a Premiership job. Could see someone taking a gamble on him.

Just now, Scary Bear said:

I don’t buy this. I see fans on here saying we have a better players than the likes of Northern Ireland and all we need is a decent manager. Then I look at that team who played Kazakhstan and I think those people talk shite. We have a load of okay midfielders and that’s about it. The new guy will have the same ropey defence and ‘keeper and the same lack of decent forwards to choose from. Good luck to him, he’ll need it.

Northern Ireland have Cathcart and Evans in defence, I think that's the only area where they have an advantage over us as they are both established good level Premier League defenders. That probably is the most important area of the park to compete internationally though.

I'd say apart from that, we are better but just very inexperienced at international level with loads of players coming through right now and we don't really have an established spine with a couple of centre backs and a defensive midfielder giving us some rigidity. Bates, McKenna, Souttar, McTominay are all good players but just not quite where we need them to be IMO. The only way that'll change is if they play games and get experience at this level.

23 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

Malky Mackay will get the job.......this site will go into meltdown.

I hope when malky is offically announced there is utter uproar and protests at hampden 

This was said a lot before Eck's appointment, and the SFA took the ever so slightly more imaginative route (I'm not saying it was imaginative in the slightest, but if there was a scale getting a new face in is 0.0000001 points more imaginative) of getting McLeish in.

This time though, I can see this happening. 

8 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Northern Ireland have Cathcart and Evans in defence, I think that's the only area where they have an advantage over us as they are both established good level Premier League defenders. That probably is the most important area of the park to compete internationally though.

I'd say apart from that, we are better but just very inexperienced at international level with loads of players coming through right now and we don't really have an established spine with a couple of centre backs and a defensive midfielder giving us some rigidity. Bates, McKenna, Souttar, McTominay are all good players but just not quite where we need them to be IMO. The only way that'll change is if they play games and get experience at this level.

Kyle Lafferty would be starting for Scotland too, to be fair.  But with a competent manager, I'd take Scotland to beat Northern Ireland 8 games out of ten.

5 minutes ago, harry94 said:

As you say, central defence is a fairly key area. As is goalkeeper and having a regular dependable goalscorer would be nice too. You can’t make a team with two left backs and some midfielders. Well, not one that’s going to do anything.

If it's got to be a Scottish choice then Moyes. Clarke if not at Killie would've been the other option.

Wonder if Allardyce would take it, maybe wouldn't be the best football to watch but we'd be organised. Tartan army would probably boak at the thought of an englishman in charge tho.

Otherwise go for an out the box foreigner. Vogts get's pelters but he got us to a playoff and with an arguably inferior group of players. The squad now is surely better?

1 minute ago, PrestersKTID said:

If it's got to be a Scottish choice then Moyes. Clarke if not at Killie would've been the other option.

Wonder if Allardyce would take it, maybe wouldn't be the best football to watch but we'd be organised. Tartan army would probably boak at the thought of an englishman in charge tho.

Otherwise go for an out the box foreigner. Vogts get's pelters but he got us to a playoff and with an arguably inferior group of players. The squad now is surely better?

Doesn't he have Scottish parents?  That'd make him more "eligible" than some of the players we've called up to be fair.  Expect there would be a fair few fannies wetting their knickers over it though.

49 minutes ago, harry94 said:

That's true.

I'm quite scared of a repeat of the Berti Vogts type scenario where we get a big name with a couple of achievements but don't pay proper attention to what the fans were saying about them (i.e. that he was a terrible manager who fluked some success). It's pretty alarming people suggesting Klinsmann as it's basically the same story but I'd argue it's even worse (he's rated as a 'motivator' and given credit for developing youth, not tangible at all, with the US and is rated as a dreadful tactician everywhere he has been).

Hervé Renard would maybe be the one managerial appointment we could make with extensive international experience who would be obtainable but then you could argue that his specialty is knowing Africa really well. The Scandinavian ones aren't obtainable IMO and then there's just a few in Eastern Europe.

If anyone on here says Klinsmann and means it they should have their account deleted.

1 minute ago, GNU_Linux said:
8 minutes ago, sjc said:
What's Paulo Sergio (No, not the P&B one!) up to these days? 

Managing Sanat Naft in Iran

Pity. Anyone that could get performances out of Ian Black clearly has decent management skills.

1 hour ago, PrestersKTID said:

Getting us to a play-off is not how to judge a manager. Vogts finished ahead of Lithuania, Iceland and the Faroes in that group, and even then he stumbled over the line. If you transported the current version of Alex McLeish back, he'd probably also still finish 2nd in that group.