Next Scotland Manager

2 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

The only people who should be against Steve Clarke are Kilmarnock supporters. Other than that, I don't see why anyone would be against such an appointment. Problem is that HE is probably against such an appointment.

Not that I've any faith in any decision-making process within the SFA, but if I were in any sort of upper management position there at the moment I would be insistent on binning McLeish post-haste and making Clarke the absolute best offer possible to take over at the season's end. He ticks so many boxes and, Alex Neil aside (who is a really unrealistic target), is by some margin the most impressive Scottish manager around right now. As I said, it would be more about sounding him out more than anything - personally, I think there's only a remote possibility that he would be keen, but at this moment in time it could be an attractive proposition for him depending on his situation(s) outwith football. The next manager to guide us to a major tournament through any means would be regarded a hero, and it genuinely is pretty damn hard to objectively fail with what we've got at our disposal (so credit to McLeish for managing that, at least). 

I think the timing and how the euro process now works has to be taken into account when deciding when/who to bring in as a manager. The Euro qualifying used to take place over more than 13 months, now less than 8. The playoffs used to be a month after the end of qualifying, now its 4+ months after as well. The longer we wait, the more difficult it will be for a new manager to find a way forward with the team. Especially if it’s someone new to international football i.e Steve Clarke

I’ve got a very bad feeling that we will end up getting rid of Mcleish towards the end of the campaign, leaving only a week or two for the manager to get to know the squad followed by a 4-5 month wait for the playoffs. That would be a disaster.

Edited by charger29

1 minute ago, Craig McCulloch Burley said:

If Scotland got new manager before game on June than He need keep McFadden (assistant manager) and look who coach after Grant should go

No. McFadden and Grant should be punted along with McLeish.

2 minutes ago, Craig McCulloch Burley said:

McFadden help striker to improve than might Darren Fletcher in new coach to help defender and midfielder improve too

He's had a while to do that. We've regressed in all areas, so he's not doing any good there.

2 minutes ago, Craig McCulloch Burley said:

McFadden help striker to improve than might Darren Fletcher in new coach to help defender and midfielder improve too

Given that McFadden has so little experience coaching there's no real evidence to suggest he can or not.

If we're going for a Scottish manager untested at international level (again) then Steve Clarke is probably the best option.

As always though, we should be desperately trying to find someone with international experience, preferably in qualifying for a major tournament.  But lol at thinking that will happen.

2 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

You could have made most of these arguments about Craig Levein in December 2009 tbh

I'm personally sceptical about appointing a manager who outwith the last excellent 18 months, has been pretty unsuccessful in management. 

Has he? Guided West Brom to 8th, then was pretty harshly binned with the club sitting 16th not far into the next season. Admittedly had a very mixed spell at Reading, but did enough to be approached by Fulham not long before his exit. 

I'd take Levein over McLeish, incidentally. That's how bad he is.

2 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Has he? Guided West Brom to 8th, then was pretty harshly binned with the club sitting 16th not far into the next season. Admittedly had a very mixed spell at Reading, but did enough to be approached by Fulham not long before his exit. 

I'd take Levein over McLeish, incidentally. That's how bad he is.

I can just imagine it...

"Don't worry guys, we've listened to you.  You don't want McLeish, so he's gone.  You don't want Strachan back, and he's not.  Malky Mackay?  Nope.  So please welcome our new manager - Craig Levein!"

Just now, forameus said:

I can just imagine it...

"Don't worry guys, we've listened to you.  You don't want McLeish, so he's gone.  You don't want Strachan back, and he's not.  Malky Mackay?  Nope.  So please welcome our new manager - Craig Levein!"

If we're going to be shite, I'd rather do it with an arrogant, wind-up merchant b*****d in charge and providing some comedy value. Nothing to be gained from having a total has-been meekly bungling his way through press conferences.