Next Scotland Manager

Clarke's record is a win over Cyprus then two defeats to the world no 1 and then Russia who went out the World Cup quarter finals on penalties. I know it's been pretty dire but it's not totally uncommon for a new international manager to take a fair number of beatings before turning things round and the time he's spent with the team is very small. I'd be much more worried if we lose to Kazakhstan next month.

For me, he's been left with the legacy of McLeish in not really having a proper defensive game plan which is your number 1 priority in international football if you are to be competitive. It's been a problem for more than a decade and has been getting worse, Strachan had various parts of his management where he managed to put together decent runs when his defensive options were on good form (Hanley and Martin for the first part) but it seems to be that we are just overly dependent on players having to make big steps up from the levels they play at club football.

I wouldn't lose the head yet but I think he needs to take a think about Mulgrew. I get why he's playing to try and provide an experienced partner but he's not good enough to elevate anyone's performance and he's been pretty dire the start of this season for Wigan. I'd rather he just ditches that and goes with a couple of younger guys who are maybe raw but at least theoretically capable of handling the physical side.

7 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

The only scenario where I'd be in favour of Clarke getting punted so soon would be if Scotland Gemmill was to suddenly become available. 

4 minutes ago, Dele said:

Continually selecting dung like Stephen O'Donnell will be his downfall. 

I'd be sounding out Neil McCann

Fucking hell. holly fucking f**k . what the fucking f**k is wrong with you fucking c***s.

don't fucking post on here again

Is Tierney ever going to be fit again? If he is, that’s right back sorted. If not, we’re fucked.

Can we manage to cobble together a centre back pairing and keep that pairing together to try and get it ready for the play-offs? Cooper and ?

I think we all know there are deeper problems in the way Scottish football is run and the way Scottish society has been shaped that no Scotland manager could ever possibly fix. I don't think we are likely to get a better manager than Clarke. For me the sensible option is to completely write off this qualification group (and probably the next one too) and use them to bring through a team of players who despite limited talent can learn to play together in a system that works at our level. While that's in progress, give the team a personality. Make us we're-shite-and-we-know-we-are mad b*****ds who never give up and kick anything that moves.

Gg

2 hours ago, nsr said:

I think we all know there are deeper problems in the way Scottish football is run and the way Scottish society has been shaped that no Scotland manager could ever possibly fix. I don't think we are likely to get a better manager than Clarke. For me the sensible option is to completely write off this qualification group (and probably the next one too) and use them to bring through a team of players who despite limited talent can learn to play together in a system that works at our level. While that's in progress, give the team a personality. Make us we're-shite-and-we-know-we-are mad b*****ds who never give up and kick anything that moves.

Wouldn’t argue with that.  The first step has to be to make us harder to beat, and more specifically to make opponents have to work to score against us. 

I don’t think there’s any reason to believe that there’s any other available manager out there better placed than Clarke to achieve that. So he needs to be given far more time than others have been afforded to stop the rot and get us competing in every match.  At this point in time it’s completely unrealistic to make qualification for the World Cup or Euros the target for him to keep the job. 

Worth bearing in mind that Northern Ireland won only one of their first 18 matches under Michael O’Neill and I think Wales initially struggled under Chris Coleman. Like it or not , these are the sort of nations we need to be comparing ourselves with at the moment. A massive part of their success in recent years has been to make their national team feel more like a club side, by fostering a genuine team spirit.  That has to be part of Clarke’s remit.  So from now on any player who comes out with the sort of comment that McBurnie apparently made recently should , in my view , be left out.  

ETA ........That Hamden should be ditched as the venue for home games. , in favour of a single smaller venue like Tynecastle , which would be  my choice. (at least until we become truly competitive again).  I was flicking over to watch the Northern Ireland game last night and the atmosphere  in their game was tremendous.  I think the capacity at Windsor Park is about 18,000. I reckon that settling on a single smaller stadium , rather than taking games round various venues , would be more conducive to creating a club mentality for the national team.

Edited by A96

751  22.03.2017  Edinburgh          Canada               D   1- 1
752  26.03.2017  Glasgow            Slovenia             W   1- 0   WCq
753  10.06.2017  Glasgow            England              D   2- 2   WCq
754  01.09.2017  Vilnius            Lithuania            W   3- 0   WCq
755  04.09.2017  Glasgow            Malta                W   2- 0   WCq
756  05.10.2017  Glasgow            Slovakia             W   1- 0   WCq
757  08.10.2017	 Ljubljana          Slovenia             D   2- 2   WCq
758  09.11.2017  Aberdeen           Netherlands          L   0- 1

759  23.03.2018  Glasgow            Costa Rica		 L   0- 1
760  27.03.2018  Budapest           Hungary		 W   1- 0
761  29.05.2018  Lima               Peru                 L   0- 2
762  02.06.2018  Mexico City        Mexico               L   0- 1
763  07.09.2018  Glasgow            Belgium              L   0- 4
764  10.09.2018  Glasgow            Albania              W   2- 0   UNL   14
765  11.10.2018  Haifa              Israel               L   1- 2   UNL
766  14.10.2018  Glasgow            Portugal             L   1- 3
767  17.11.2018  Shkoder            Albania              W   4- 0   UNL
768  20.11.2018  Glasgow            Israel               W   3- 2   UNL

769  21.03.2019  Astana             Kazakhstan           L   0- 3   ECq   15
770  24.03.2019  Serravalle         San Marino           W   2- 0   ECq
771  08.06.2019  Glasgow            Cyprus               W   2- 1   ECq
772  11.06.2019  Brussels           Belgium              L   0- 3   ECq

Over the last 2 years we should be in no doubt where Scotland is in terms of levels.
The teams we should beat and the teams we shouldn't beat.
Getting a draw against Russia on Friday would have been progress.
Getting back to that form we had in 2017 should be the aim for Steve Clarke.

22 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

No more crap Scottish managers it’s not working

Got to laugh at people coming out with this garbage, Clark is hands down the best we could have got, and he needs time, O' Neil took about 18 games before he got a win.  

Clark's had 4 games, two v Belgium and one v Russia, we beat Cyprus...

Typical Scotland knee-jerk reaction that some want to bin Clark and bring it yet another manager, what would that achieve? 

2 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

He must win the Playoffs.  There is no ifs and buts. 

If he continues to pick the same players because they're "big names" or play for "big clubs" and they continue to fail like they have for previous managers then there is no one else to blame but Clark

Who else should he pick? And what "big names" are you talking about?