Next Scotland Manager

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

Clarky seems to be getting an easier ride than Eck got, anyway  bye bye euro 2020....

I like Eck but he probably had more to prove than Clarke did. He hadn't been managing at the level we'd probably be looking to recruit a manager from for a while and looked like he was finished. Also, the manner of his departure the first time round ensured that he was always going to get a lot of flack if he didn't get the right results.

Also by what I've read online about the "concerning incident", giving him the job in the first place was extremely negligent and if there's any truth in it then the SFA should be ashamed of themselves.

Berti Vogts

Walter Smith

Alex McLeish

George Burley

Craig Levein

Gordon Strachan

Steve Clarke

Either EVERY SINGLE ONE of these managers - who have all achieved success elsewhere in their careers - aren't very good, or there is a deeper problem in our game that prevents us from developing players good enough to compete at international level.

A manager is an easy scapegoat when the team isn't doing well, but if your house has no electricity then changing your lightbulbs won't solve your problem. You need to address the deeper issue.

Scotland competed internationally fine under Walter Smith? Then he left...

Our defence and strikers are not good enough plus recent managers not wanting to play defensive midfielders....

12 minutes ago, Leonard Cohen said:

Also by what I've read online about the "concerning incident", giving him the job in the first place was extremely negligent and if there's any truth in it then the SFA should be ashamed of themselves.

Morbid curiosity; what was the concerning incident? I remember it being mentioned, but I missed any further detail.

No doubt something depressingly sad regarding McLeish's health, but I was rather hoping he stripped down to his y-fronts and flung poop at Rod Petrie.

36 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

You're a fucking mentalist if you want Clarke binned after 4 games.

You're right - sticks in my craw to say it, of course.

The 'Clarke oot' brigade - if there is such a thing so early - will be mostly made up of absolute roasters as @kev23identified.

The time to really judge Clarke is during the qualifying stage of the 2022 WC.  He has a free hit until then.

The 'Clarke oot' brigade - if there is such a thing so early - will be mostly made up of absolute roasters as [mention=40613]kev23[/mention]identified.
The time to really judge Clarke is during the qualifying stage of the 2022 WC.  He has a free hit until then.
Agreed apart from the free hit. The play offs next year are the best opportunity in years for us to qualify. We need to somehow throw everything at winning it.

However, I think no matter who we play, it'll be another glorious disaster. Finland are looking pretty decent.

Agreed apart from the free hit. The play offs next year are the best opportunity in years for us to qualify. We need to somehow throw everything at winning it.

However, I think no matter who we play, it'll be another glorious disaster. Finland are looking pretty decent.

Is it not Bulgaria we play instead of Finland? Even if we beat them we have either Norway or Serbia after - two much better teams than us. It is our best chance in years to qualify but it is by no means an easy task.

Don’t think many people are saying Clarke should be sacked now.

However, it certainly does have the feeling of an appointment that won’t last long. If you listened to him and looked at his body language over the last couple of games he has the look of a man who knows he’s made a terrible mistake. He probably has.

He likely would have got a decent English Championship job this summer had he turned the Scotland job down. He won’t now.

He’ll surely be here for the nations league playoffs but if we lose them - which we will unless there’s a huge improvement - I suspect he will walk/get mutually consented.

11 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Agreed it's not a free hit, but it's not win or bust.

I think most people agree we have a good manager in place, he's had a difficult start. Judging him on Belgium would be like judging Stevie Crawford on a cup tie against Celtic.

Russia was disappointing but they are a good side, I don't care what anyone on here says. The worry for Clarke is the lack of performances we've had, even Cyprus wasn't particularly convincing.

Absolutely willing to give Clarke time as I trust him, the key difference between him and Mcleish, who was a terrible appointment from day 1.

7 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Morbid curiosity; what was the concerning incident? I remember it being mentioned, but I missed any further detail.

No doubt something depressingly sad regarding McLeish's health, but I was rather hoping he stripped down to his y-fronts and flung poop at Rod Petrie.

From what I read, apparently Eck was speaking during a team meeting and appeared to forget what he was talking about.

47 minutes ago, Lex said:

Don’t think many people are saying Clarke should be sacked now.

However, it certainly does have the feeling of an appointment that won’t last long. If you listened to him and looked at his body language over the last couple of games he has the look of a man who knows he’s made a terrible mistake. He probably has.

He likely would have got a decent English Championship job this summer had he turned the Scotland job down. He won’t now.

He’ll surely be here for the nations league playoffs but if we lose them - which we will unless there’s a huge improvement - I suspect he will walk/get mutually consented.

I suspect the SFA are also thinking they've made (another) terrible mistake. A mutual termination next summer is almost a certainty I would say.

The 'Clarke oot' brigade - if there is such a thing so early - will be mostly made up of absolute roasters as [mention=40613]kev23[/mention]identified.

The problem is if we keep getting poor results until then we'll be in pot 4 for the WC quali and everything gets a fair bit more difficult.
We'll be around 30th in the next Fifa rankings (just European teams) which looks like the cutoff point for pot 3/4 for the next WC quali.
We've got our last 4 Euro quali games, the playoff game/s, the Euros which we're unlikely to make and then the Nations League where an average draw would give us Croatia and Czech Republic in our group. Somehow we're going to have to hold our head above water until after all those games which is likely when the draw will be made.
I'm not sure I fancy us to do that. Pot 4 here we come.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Is it not Bulgaria we play instead of Finland? Even if we beat them we have either Norway or Serbia after - two much better teams than us. It is our best chance in years to qualify but it is by no means an easy task.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway_national_football_team

That squad is "much better than us"? I think a combined XI would be 6 from one and 5 from the other, roughly.

Serbia look to have the best squad of the the lot I will grant you that, but the rest should be beatable, particularly if it's at home.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway_national_football_team
That squad is "much better than us"? I think a combined XI would be 6 from one and 5 from the other, roughly.
Serbia look to have the best squad of the the lot I will grant you that, but the rest should be beatable, particularly if it's at home.

Okay maybe but not “much” better but they are better than us IMO. They are definitely beatable but this is Scotland we are talking about. Kazahkstan were beatable and we didn’t manage that. It was only a few years ago that we could only muster a draw at home and a defeat away with Norway. A massive opportunity to qualify but typically we won’t make it easy for ourselves.

6 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Okay maybe but not “much” better but they are better than us IMO. They are definitely beatable but this is Scotland we are talking about. Kazahkstan were beatable and we didn’t manage that. It was only a few years ago that we could only muster a draw at home and a defeat away with Norway. A massive opportunity to qualify but typically we won’t make it easy for ourselves.

The Kazakhstan result was the worst result in our history and got a manager binned. 

The Norway games you reference were 11 years ago with none of the same players in either squad today.