Next Scotland Manager

SFA have played an absolute blinder here.

After Strachan went, everyone wanted O'Neill. Stevie Clarke was clearly the best option but had unfinished business at Killie. So they bring in McLeish as a whipping boy, he takes the blows until we can offload him and can get Clarke.

• 4 weeks later...

This is bizarre! - https://www.thenational.scot/sport/17709237.shelley-kerr-was-discussed-for-scotland-mens-team-job-and-could-make-the-switch-from-womens-side-one-day/

"Chief executive of the Scottish Football Association, Ian Maxwell, has revealed that Kerr’s name came up in discussions when the governing body was looking to replace Alex McLeish. In the end, Clarke, who was the number one choice for the role, decided to accept, but Maxwell says that doesn’t mean a woman won’t be in charge of the men’s national team one day. And it still very well could be Kerr.

“We absolutely could [see a woman in charge of the men's team]," Maxwell said. I don’t see any reason why not. There were a few people suggested [Shelley Kerr] for this time around so I definitely wouldn’t rule that out either."

6 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

This is bizarre! - https://www.thenational.scot/sport/17709237.shelley-kerr-was-discussed-for-scotland-mens-team-job-and-could-make-the-switch-from-womens-side-one-day/

"Chief executive of the Scottish Football Association, Ian Maxwell, has revealed that Kerr’s name came up in discussions when the governing body was looking to replace Alex McLeish. In the end, Clarke, who was the number one choice for the role, decided to accept, but Maxwell says that doesn’t mean a woman won’t be in charge of the men’s national team one day. And it still very well could be Kerr.

“We absolutely could [see a woman in charge of the men's team]," Maxwell said. I don’t see any reason why not. There were a few people suggested [Shelley Kerr] for this time around so I definitely wouldn’t rule that out either."

Hey I don't see why not, if it takes a woman manager to get a team performance out of the overpaid pre-madonnas currently playing for Scotland then fair enough!

Just now, frankthetank22 said:

Hey I don't see why not, if it takes a woman manager to get a team performance out of the overpaid pre-madonnas currently playing for Scotland then fair enough!

I have no problem with that if the woman has a top track record.

Shelley Kerr, however, has been found out in France. The team has under-performed. Her public spat with Hope Solo over tactics has been embarrassing. 

18 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Who were they before they were Madonna?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Unfortunately, having a female manager still seems just too much of a risk of being an absolute car crash.  Regardless of how well she does, you'll get plenty of comments of various levels of sexism surrounding it, and she would have to have an absolutely spotless record to stop the criticism reaching fever pitch, talking about how we need "guid honest LADDIES no' LADIES".  And I'd worry that it would just seem like the SFA were trying to show how woke and progressive they are, rather than any thought being put into whether it's the best appointment they could get.

If a woman was the best qualified to get the job, then she should get it.  Or, more accurately, just put the best person for the job into the role, regardless of who they are.  

Edited by forameus

If remaining a manager here, next move would probably be lower-level SPFL? Championship/SPFL1/etc.

Her only mens + club experience remains Stirling Uni in LL.

Some press reports tip US collegiate leagues, IIRC.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Kerr shouldn't be manager, she has no outstanding achievement on her CV to push her ahead of candidates like Clarke.

No doubt get slated for it but Womans football is a lot different to mens, tactically, while the quality is lower, so it would have to be something incredible she achieved to come straight into the Scotland job. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kerr shouldn't be manager, she has no outstanding achievement on her CV to push her ahead of candidates like Clarke.

No doubt get slated for it but Womans football is a lot different to mens, tactically, while the quality is lower, so it would have to be something incredible she achieved to come straight into the Scotland job. 

Don't think there's much to slate you on.  Always comparing women's football to men's is detrimental to the women's game.  It's almost a different sport, and will likely never be played in the style that the men's game is.  Which isn't a bad thing, in fact it's probably a good thing, as it should set them apart.  They'll likely never match up from a physical perspective, but that could leave the game far more open to being better technically.  Once people treat it is a separate entity, it'll likely only grow in popularity.

But yeah, the quality isn't quite there yet, so wouldn't have thought Kerr should have been anywhere near the shortlist.  Sounds very much like trying to get good PR after the fact.

On 16 June 2019 at 14:34, Bishop Briggs said:

I have no problem with that if the woman has a top track record.

Shelley Kerr, however, has been found out in France. The team has under-performed. Her public spat with Hope Solo over tactics has been embarrassing. 

Eh? She was asked about Solos comments and gave a wee comment back....hardly embarrassing 

Shelley Kerr has been clear about her ambitions recently and I do expect that she becomes a manager in men's football one day. But she will be realistic enough to not expect to walk straight into the national team's job. She'll probably be happy enough to start at a lower division club to prove herself.

• 3 weeks later...
Shelley Kerr has been clear about her ambitions recently and I do expect that she becomes a manager in men's football one day. But she will be realistic enough to not expect to walk straight into the national team's job. She'll probably be happy enough to start at a lower division club to prove herself.

She better learn from the World Cup, then, because she was badly outthought in all three games.

• 2 months later...